Tell Us Something That Happened To You That Made You Feel Very Old.

I walked past a storefront in Romeo, MI yesterday that had three typewriters in it. One was an Underwood. And I realized that younger generations would not understand a phrase like, "...pecking out a story on the Underwood...". ;)

I just placed an ad on Craig's List to hire some temporary laborers and realized that I would prefer to hire guys about half my age.

Not too great but at age 67 woke up and realized I had had a stroke! Should have been happy to be alive I guess but whereas I was like a 30 yr old before and now like a 100 yr old,alive is not that great anymore or it sure feels like it.Ya being selfish but that's they way it is and the way I feel!

Every time I have to search for the keys to my truck I feel old. Lately it's about twice a week. As if that isn't enough they never seem to be any of the places I have been as I retrace my steps - turns out I look right past my keys a couple times before finding them on the second or third round of searches. I'm only 55 and can't imagine how it will be in ten years or more. Gaaah!!!_:mad:

Every time I have to search for the keys to my truck I feel old. Lately it's about twice a week. As if that isn't enough they never seem to be any of the places I have been as I retrace my steps - turns out I look right past my keys a couple times before finding them on the second or third round of searches. I'm only 55 and can't imagine how it will be in ten years or more. Gaaah!!!_:mad:

Frank_1962- I'm 12 years older than you and my memory is sharp as a tack.

tacks_0751.jpg

I went to wander around a music shop last week with a friend - one of the few big places left that has a big stock of CD, DVD and LPs. All three of the titles I wanted were in the "$3 - buy two get one free" section. And I wasn't looking in that section - that's just were my "musical generation" has now ended up!
I did by a new & expensive Simple Minds LP, although almost every 'reissue' LP was one that I still have, bought new when they were the latest thing.

I rolled over the other night and asked the wife if she wanted to fool around. She looked at me, rolled her eyes, and said, "Go to sleep - you've had it!"

I thought for a minute, then said, "I have? Was it good for you, too?"

A number of years ago, when I moved for a new job, I was out for a cool frosty one (okay, 3 or 4) with my new roommate. I had moved in with a couple of brothers. Anyhow, we got onto the topic of age. Sort of amusing at the time, but it turned out I had been drinking beer (legally) longer than he'd been alive......

Fast forward a couple of years. Our help desk section was typically entry level for some jobs. One of my co-workers mentioned that one of the new guys at the help desk was from the same city I was. I chatted with the guy for a bit, and it turned out we went to the same high school. Only thing was, I graduated the year he was born.

One thing that tends to counter events like these for me: Remembering that old age is an attitude, not a number.

What made me feel really old--my youngest is starting college on the 5th. Makes me wonder where the hell the last 18 years have gone.

A few of the concerts I've been to..me and my bud felt like the oldest ones there..other than some of the cops/security

A few of the concerts I've been to..me and my bud felt like the oldest ones there..other than some of the cops/security
We were near downtown last night, having dinner. The U2 "Joshua Tree" concert was in town at Ford Field. We overheard a couple of other tables in the restaurant talk about going to the concert after dinner. All of them were...umm...middle aged. I looked at my better half and said, "Do you think that U2 concert would be full of 'old geezers' like us?" :D (And for the record, I really did want to attend, but forgot to look for tickets until the last minute. And that forgetfulness seems to happen a lot more in recent years. ;) )

I did get my AARP card the first year I was eligible. ;) Only because of the discounts. I saved enough on a trip that summer that paid for the membership many times over. Even now, I compare my AAA rates and AARP rates when booking hotels, and occasionally my Old Man Card will win out over the auto club.

Back
Top Bottom