Tell Us Something That Happened To You That Made You Feel Very Old.

I just recently went from the looking for my reading glasses stage, to wearing a pair of glasses full time.

I've no idea what SWT means either.......
And when I try to Google it, I don't actually understand what any of the presumably incorrect interpretations mean either.

My wife talked me into getting a second dog, he's a nine week old puppy. IMG_0933.JPG I had forgotten what a full time job it is to keep up with a little bundle of energy like this! He's a Westie, same as the 13 year old in my avatar. So far the old guy is starting to accept the invader. We are finding places to hide our shoes and things that he wants to chew on, and taking him out every couple hour to house break him. The wife and I have been taking turns sleeping on the floor with him because he won't settle down in his crate. My old bones do not like sleeping on the floor!

This morning made me feel really old--the temp this morning was ~25 degrees colder than when I went to bed last night, and I have 4 fractured vertebrae in my lower spine thanks to an auto accident back at the beginning of May, so I was "feelin' it" today.

People, people, people ... those aren't acronyms, they're just initials. An acronym is initials that spell a whole new word.

Oh, wait. This isn't the Pet Peeves thread, is it?

I feel old when Internet acronyms are a mystery.

I expect this is not 'salt water therapy', 'self-wetting t-shirt,' or 'shock wave therapy'. :idea:

I've no idea what SWT means either.......
And when I try to Google it, I don't actually understand what any of the presumably incorrect interpretations mean either.

I didn't get it either. <Sigh>

Sweet Young Thing. I think you've got the "LP."

SWT= Sweet Young Thing? :dunno:

Shouldn't that be "SYT"?

Damn Baby Boomers can't spell...:D

And get off my lawn! ;):)

-Dave

I was just thinking back to when I was a little boy. I had to be less then 6 years old because we moved to another town in 1958 when I was 7. My parents took us to a Memorial Day parade and they had one of the last living Civil War soldiers on a float. Now I realize that was an incredible thing to witness.

I was just thinking back to when I was a little boy. I had to be less then 6 years old because we moved to another town in 1958 when I was 7. My parents took us to a Memorial Day parade and they had one of the last living Civil War soldiers on a float. Now I realize that was an incredible thing to witness.

That's a cool story. What town held the parade?

-Dave

That's a cool story. What town held the parade?

-Dave

It was in Hackensack, New Jersey. Not sure of the year. Somewhere between 1953 and 1957. The last N.J. Civil War vet died in 1946, so it had to be someone from another state.

Our daughter brought the two youngest grandchildren up from London to see us last week. Both girls, one's twelve the other seven.

Five years ago they used to present little plays from behind the sofa, this was done by having small figures "acting out" the plays they made up on the top of the backrest of the sofa.

This progressed after a couple of years to storybooks they made with hand drawn illustrations.

They still write these little stories between them, but now they do "presentations" of their plays. with hand drawn illustatiions, strap lines and sound effects, as stop-action videos on a tablet.

Years back I started thinking of the days when we still had WW1 veterans. That became a yardstick for me measuring the passage of time.

Years back I started thinking of the days when we still had WW1 veterans. That became a yardstick for me measuring the passage of time.

My Father-in-law passed away in May 2018 at the age of 95, still very sharp and full of life, but battled lung cancer, it’s treatments and effects. He had been a WW II vet, joining at the age of 16 through a paper DOB, worked with the 14th Air Force in China, successor to the Flying Tigers. He was one of the last members left.

14THAF-2.png

Last edited:

That is really some memory.

There was an elderly Russian couple who were our neighbors when I was growing up.

They had no children: acted like surrogate Grandparents to us: bought candy for us, gave us fruit from their backyard trees

My family had known them for many years before the husband died.

After his death his widow revealed that they fled Russia circa 1917, during the Russian Revolution; hiding under some hay in a hay wagon to cross the border and escape.

They had an infant daughter they had to leave behind; she might have cried and given them all away.

Despite trying to to find her afterwards, they never saw their daughter again, or knew what happened to her

Last edited:
My wife talked me into getting a second dog, he's a nine week old puppy. View attachment 1303494 I had forgotten what a full time job it is to keep up with a little bundle of energy like this! He's a Westie, same as the 13 year old in my avatar. So far the old guy is starting to accept the invader. We are finding places to hide our shoes and things that he wants to chew on, and taking him out every couple hour to house break him. The wife and I have been taking turns sleeping on the floor with him because he won't settle down in his crate. My old bones do not like sleeping on the floor!
It will be worth it my friend...nothing beats a dog's unconditional love.

My wife talked me into getting a second dog, he's a nine week old puppy. View attachment 1303494 I had forgotten what a full time job it is to keep up with a little bundle of energy like this! He's a Westie, same as the 13 year old in my avatar. So far the old guy is starting to accept the invader. We are finding places to hide our shoes and things that he wants to chew on, and taking him out every couple hour to house break him. The wife and I have been taking turns sleeping on the floor with him because he won't settle down in his crate. My old bones do not like sleeping on the floor!

He's a cutie!

-Dave

Back
Top Bottom