tell us your street racing story!

I own both a HellCat Challenger and a Honda CBR RR1000 ABS (bike is "tweaked" a bit--including a nitrous bottle) and thank God that I live in the middle of nowhere. The only time cops are out here are when you call them. I am 55 (and still alive) but have done my share of street racing with both cars and bikes--most recent adventure at over 200 mph on the bike (clocked by a state trooper). I've had a fox-body mustang over 150 mph with the 4 banger turbo--3/4 radical cam and 17 lbs boost--and it wouldn't idle below 1600 rpm, so I've done my share of stupid stuff. My cousin (now deceased from cancer) was even worse than me--he ran "sleepers"--banged up, rusted out, primered sleds with a built to the ass big block and sometimes even a blower on it. We (at one point) had a "retired" UPS truck that served as the tow vehicle for his dirt track stock car--and we hit well over 100 mph with the truck loaded with spare parts/tires/tools and the trailer on the back with the car.

Incidentally, in our rural area, I have heard a story about a UPS driver (now retired) who hit a goat so hard/fast that it went up and over the truck.

I own both a HellCat Challenger and a Honda CBR RR1000 ABS (bike is "tweaked" a bit--including a nitrous bottle) and thank God that I live in the middle of nowhere. The only time cops are out here are when you call them. I am 55 (and still alive) but have done my share of street racing with both cars and bikes--most recent adventure at over 200 mph on the bike (clocked by a state trooper). I've had a fox-body mustang over 150 mph with the 4 banger turbo--3/4 radical cam and 17 lbs boost--and it wouldn't idle below 1600 rpm, so I've done my share of stupid stuff. My cousin (now deceased from cancer) was even worse than me--he ran "sleepers"--banged up, rusted out, primered sleds with a built to the ass big block and sometimes even a blower on it. We (at one point) had a "retired" UPS truck that served as the tow vehicle for his dirt track stock car--and we hit well over 100 mph with the truck loaded with spare parts/tires/tools and the trailer on the back with the car.
Pictures, or it didn't happen! :biggrin:

View attachment 974948

My stock V8 e430 like the one above in "Grandpa metallic beige" regularly sucked the doors off noisy Honda Civics driven by young guys in reversed baseball caps.

It was a hoot.

Ah yes--the "fart can" muffler and the 18" sub--at least it sounds fast.My mother (who just turned 81 this week) drives a Chevrolet SS--basically a big boat with a 420 hp 6.2L V-8, and she's not scared to use it. Never underestimate grandma/grandpa cars these days.

Ah yes--the "fart can" muffler and the 18" sub--at least it sounds fast.My mother (who just turned 81 this week) drives a Chevrolet SS--basically a big boat with a 420 hp 6.2L V-8, and she's not scared to use it. Never underestimate grandma/grandpa cars these days.

Yeah we call 'em Holden Commodore SS's down here. They're quite quick :)

Until your last post, I didn't realize that you were from "down under"--that's where my mom's car is built--one of the GM Holden facility products, just like the modern GTO platform--sad to hear of it's closing in the next year or two.

Until your last post, I didn't realize that you were from "down under"--that's where my mom's car is built--one of the GM Holden facility products, just like the modern GTO platform--sad to hear of it's closing in the next year or two.

You missed out on the pickup version, the Maloo. The favourite of young plumbers and other trades.

malloo-21.jpg

You missed out on the pickup version, the Maloo. The favourite of young plumbers and other trades.

malloo-21.jpg

I want that--only in flat black like the Mad Max movies!!! :thumbsup: But you see my avatar--I do like bright colors with flat black accents. FCA conservatively rated these cars just so you could get insurance--the auto rags have been consistently dyno-ing them at 800+ hp, and that is on pump gas, not aviation or racing fuel.

malloo-21.jpg

that's absolutely sick. VERY far from stock but tastefully modded.

I always liked the holden commodore they sold as the pontiac G8 in the states, that thing could pull and sounded insane with straight pipes

I ran a built DC2 integra with a high comp b18c1 a few times, but mostly spectated the street racing that went down on deer park ave & airport plaza in farmingdale. the long island street racing scene was huge for a few years until major crackdown by police after a few major incidents

I always liked the holden commodore they sold as the pontiac G8 in the states, that thing could pull and sounded insane with straight pipes

Indeed--the G8 was a fantastic car, unfortunately it was killed along with the entire Pontiac nameplate. My mom's Chevrolet SS is essentially the same car with a Chevrolet nameplate. Perhaps GM will reconsider shutting down the Holden production facility if enough people maintain interest.

I went thru a lot of cars growing up in the Bay Area, the one I miss the most that was never recovered, stolen while we were on vacation was my 68 W-30 Olds. It's been along time, never lost a street race in that car. I named it the Sun Raider. How fast I couldn't tell you but once on the 99 a Corvette challenged me and it had to be in the 150,160 MPH and he couldn't pass. These days I get kinda sick looking at what these cars go for. Back then the were a dime a dozen.

Early 80's, room mate and I coming home from the bar late. Him in a 76 Camaro 350/T350. Me 69 Chevelle L79 327/T350. We're flying down one of the main roads in our town approaching 100 mph when coming to an intersection we both spot a cop going in the same direction as we were. Room mate manages to get his Camaro slowed down in time as to not blow by the cop at 90+mph (disc brakes ;) ), me in my drum brake Malibu, not a hope in hell of doing so. So I thought the best thing to do at the time was to keep on it because I didn't need the cop to catch me racing after sitting in the bar drinking all night. Well there was a bit of a hump in the road at the intersection that a person would never notice doing the speed limit of 30 mph, but at almost 100 the car can come close to being airborn. When I came down it was hard and my headers bounced off the pavement 3 or 4 times and showered the cop car with sparks. I hit a few side streets and lost him. Buddy said the hit his lights and tried to chase me for a bit but I was so far ahead he gave up after a short amount of time. Buddy said it looked really cool because all the sparks that bounced off the cops windshield were also hitting buddies car. With all the stupid shit I used to do it's a miracle I'm still alive.:naughty::eek:

Indeed--the G8 was a fantastic car, unfortunately it was killed along with the entire Pontiac nameplate. My mom's Chevrolet SS is essentially the same car with a Chevrolet nameplate. Perhaps GM will reconsider shutting down the Holden production facility if enough people maintain interest.

malloo-21.jpg

I've watched a fair amount of Aussie Highway Patrol. Your laws are soul crushing.

In early 1990, my wife and I took a little road trip, from Northern NJ down to Hilton Head Island, SC. First time there for us, everybody said "Oh yeah....it`ll take you around 15 hours to get there. According to the car`s trip stopwatch, exactly 12 hours. I drove all the way there, nonstop except for a quick pitstop.. We had a few sandwiches and drinks in a small cooler. I was flying fast and low, with front & rear radar detectors for defense. Zero police activity on Rt. 95 all the way down.

Coming back, my wife took over the driver`s seat just below the Virginia state line, and was motoring along at a respectable clip (90 to 95 mph). The Audi 5000 turbo Quattro was the perfect choice for this trip, roomy, fast, and comfortable. Not far into Va.,we picked up an obnoxious tail, a few young guys in a ricer Honda, right on our back bumper (she was in the middle lane). "Lose these greaseballs !" I barked..."Really ?" she replied. "Punch it !!!" I said, and she did....she started the run at about 90....the Audi downshifted and held that gear to 105, then really started putting distance between us....she held the pedal down....and HELD it down....I glanced over at the speedo and saw it touching 135 (!)...."Ummmmmmm....I think you can ease up a little bit now" I said calmly. Later, when I told her about the velocity she had reached, she was quite shocked.

Somewhere in Delaware, I resumed driving duties. We made it home in exactly 12 hours and 2 minutes....not bad for consistency.... :)

In 1977 I was living in Athens, GA and bought a brand new Yamaha RD 400. I immediately changed the pistons to RD350 which changed the port timing and raised compression. Then I added expansion chambers, hot coils, rearsets, etc. I figure it had 50 + hp riding 350 lbs (Plus me @ 170.) The bike would peg the tach in instants but topped out about 110mph.
No car could touch that bike in the city until I came across a Boss 351 which I think was modified. He beat me twice stoplight to stoplight by a bike length. I'm sure there were faster hot rods around but I never encountered any.
I raced a first gen Kawasaki z900 and stayed a bike length behind to 90 mph when he pulled away.
I sold it after 2 years because cars kept turning in front of me without noticing I was there.

How fast I couldn't tell you but once on the 99 a Corvette challenged me and it had to be in the 150,160 MPH and he couldn't pass.
Sorry, try again. The W-30 was a fast car but that poor old G-block 400 would have scattered its rods into the oil pan long before you got anywhere near that speed.

Hahahahaha.........ya think so ! If you can read this you just lost. Must have been in the rear view mirror. Can't say I'm sorry, you just couldn't keep up Sonny.

Back
Top Bottom