tell us your street racing story!

Sorry, try again. The W-30 was a fast car but that poor old G-block 400 would have scattered its rods into the oil pan long before you got anywhere near that speed.
Agreed....there were no overdrive trannies back then....both the 4-speed manual and TH-400 auto had a 1;00 to 1 top gear....even with a 3.08 rear, you`d be RPM-limited to right around 130-135 mph....

Ok, so your both calling me a liar, fine. Feel better now......notice I said it had to be, wasn't a definitive number. Maybe you had to be there, I can guarantee that needle was buried and we were moving, sorry you couldn't be there.

Go piss in another bowl of wheat would ya.

And personally I don't care about the numbers, I'm guessing you both owned one and have pushed a good ole torque monster olds to its limit, I know I have and it was damn fast & fun.

Your wasting your time, and prove nothing. Give it up and embrace the awesomeness :rflmao:.

Last edited:
Ok, so your both calling me a liar, fine. Feel better now......notice I said it had to be, wasn't a definitive number. Maybe you had to be there, I can guarantee that needle was buried and we were moving, sorry you couldn't be there.
The speedometer on a '68 4-4-2 only reads to 120 mph.

And personally I don't care about the numbers, I'm guessing you both owned one and have pushed a good ole torque monster olds to its limit, I know I have and it was damn fast & fun.
I've owned three '68-9 4-4-2's, two with G-motors and one with a transplanted 455 that made 400 hp/500 lbs-ft. hooked to a THM 400 and (shockingly enough) 3.08 anti-spin rear gears. Although it had a somewhat better ability to rev than a 400, that thing was pretty much out of breath once you pegged the 120 mph speedometer.

It's all right -- we all tend to have exaggerated memories of these events when we get to a certain age.

Well we can agree to disagree, at least you owned one, (3 is awesome) You'd pretty much think we all know the speedo reads 120 on most of the old classics back then. And some things you don't forget, cause you been there done that.

I seriously regret now selling some of those cars, the olds was stolen never to be seen again :(.I'm sure most of us from those days do. My olds was the top dog and I base my story on the fact that the needle was buried, I was young and senses were very good. If it wasn't 150 to 160 it wasn't far away, it was damn fast. I had more than a few friends screaming to get out. Damn good memories......

With that you can say whatever you want, it doesn't really matter to me, I know I speak the truth as best I can recall. Trying to prove me wrong and call me a liar isn't very cool regardless.

I used to street race all the time at the local hangout. It was an area of strip malls that closed early, so there was plenty of parking, plenty of light, and a nice 5-lane road for racing.

We were a bunch of broke teenagers and early-20-somethings that just cobbled together whatever we could afford and would "run em". I always said I would race until I got caught. Here is the story of my final race, and getting caught:

I had a fox-body cougar that I had swapped a 5.0HO into. It ran great. I think I had a 3.55 rear end at the time (I went through 3 rear ends and two transmissions from beating on it mercilessly, lol). I had already been out of the street-racing game for a year or so, but for nostalgia's sake, I took my then-girlfriend (now my wife) through the ol' strip. I stopped at the red light, and what pulls up next to me? ANOTHER fox body cougar! This one had a hole cut in the hood and a big chrome high-rise intake/carb/air cleaner sticking up through. Big wide tires on a jacked-up rear. He's revving at me. My girlfriend kinda egged me on "Oh you've gotta do this!" or something along those lines. I looked over, smirked, and when the light turned green, we took off. I spanked him by a good two car lengths.

Then we reached the "turn around" area of the cruise strip. I should have just went home like I had planned. But no, my juices were flowing. I wanted to race him again. So I looped the turn around. I was delighted that he followed me. I was also delighted that the light was red again, and he pulled up beside me again. I pulled the old AOD into "1", Loaded up the RPMs on the brake, when the light turned green I popped off the brake and laid the gas pedal hard on the floor. The nose jerked high into the air as we took off. I did the ol' 1-D-1 trick to hold 2nd gear. I held 2nd gear as the digital speedometer stopped at 85, I shifted into D to catch 3rd as we were well into the triple digits. The other cougar is trying much harder this time (as am I), he's hanging on my quarter panel, but I'm still pulling away. That's when I hear tires squealing...

I look in my rear-view and see two police cruisers fish-tailing out of a restaurant parking lot. One for me, one for my opponent. I pull into an empty parking lot. I see my opponent pull into a side street. I get my license and registration and hold it out the window as the cop approaches. He swipes them from my hand and says "I see you've done this before... Do you know how fast you were going?" I replied "no". He said "You're lucky, neither do I". Long story short, I was issued a "reckless operation" citation, which was worth 4 points and something like $300 (I can't remember, the points pissed me off more than the money). I was a delivery driver at the time, and I wasn't allowed any marks on my driving record. So those 4 points caused me to lose my job.

But true to my word, I never street raced again.

I and a few friends had cars we built on the cheap for street racing, all go and no show. By far the baddest things I've ever seen on the street were two Mustangs created by a well-known local race car engine builder. The first was a 73 ragtop with a 427 he'd gotten back from a customer who used it in his dirt late model in the 80's (for Milwaukee readers it was the engine Frank Smith used in his Hales Corners LM). We put the 3" exhaust system on it in a shop I worked in at the time. The downside to it was it drank a lot of very expensive racing gas. The second was a late 80's Mustang with dual stage nitrous and every trick known for horsepower out of a 302. It also had autocross suspension and vastly improved brakes. Other than sitting low it looked very plain. Not only did it go like stink it handled like a slot car. One the word got out though nobody was foolish enough to run against it. R.I.P. Wally Jahnke.

I had a 2005 Subaru STI with bolt ons and a tune. It would consistently run flat fours 0-60 and low 12's. The thing is, the AWD on the street would eat up cars it shouldn't off the line if you knew your car. I explained my clutch technic as what you do when you almost step on some dog crap. It's hard to explain but there's no slamming gears and dropping clutches in a AWD car unless you want to break it.
I was lined up with a 63 ish corvette, red, big chrome craigers (love to see that unsprung weight) flame job, sounded pretty good but no big lope. It was obviously a grandpa and his grandson of about 10. He revs it a time or two, I blew off my blow off valve a few times. Light turned green, we took off, I sand bagged it changing early like at 4500 or so. I could have walked him at any moment but you know that's grandpa's vette and it should be the fastest car around, plus that Monday at school (Pop pops vette beat a black STI). I've been smoked by primer fender four door Honda civics, shit box eclipse with a waste gate poking threw the hood, etc, etc, not afraid to lose. I've had a 2005 Subaru Legacy wagon with a manual and pretty much the same bolt ons and tune my STI had. That was my most favorite car I have ever had. Talk about hurting feelings, the best part is just because that 01 Z06 got you by a few car links there still like WTF man? What is up with the wagon. My 2014 four door F150 I have now as my DD will go 150+, well the fastest I've gone is 147 but it's supposed to. The cool thing is most all Cars are governed below that. I know G8 6.0's are 138 and Dodge Hemi products (RT) are in the 130's so that's fun. I think 99% of trucks are 95-105 which I like since I get a third gear kick down at 100. And as before I've been smoked, literally, by four digit torque diesels, SS Camaros, some guy in a beat up turbo Tacoma, etc, I love it, I'm not afraid to lose. I live in VERY rural GA so the only danger where I am is to yourself and pine trees.

[QUOTE="Justgotohm, post: 10792225, member: 238905]My 2014 four door F150 I have now as my DD will go 150+, well the fastest I've gone is 147 but it's supposed to.[/QUOTE]
Ecoboost?
My 2018 F150 4x4 Screw Ecoboost is a beast in sport tune mode.

[QUOTE="Justgotohm, post: 10792225, member: 238905]My 2014 four door F150 I have now as my DD will go 150+, well the fastest I've gone is 147 but it's supposed to.
Ecoboost?
My 2018 F150 4x4 Screw Ecoboost is a beast in sport tune mode.[/QUOTE]

I bet it is! I'm pretty much maxed out at 435hp with the 5.0. I could go with headers but at $1200 the cost to hp isn't satisfactory for me at about 12hp. The easiest would be to swap out my 3.55 to 3.73 which would make a huge diffrence but I'm on the highway every two weeks. I could put a procharger together for $4500 or so and get another 100hp on a low 5psi tune. I would use money like that on my 85 BMW 535. On top of it I'm at 130000 miles I think that's to much to start applying pressure to the piston rings. If had to do it over again I would have paid the extra 3k or so and bought an Ecoboost. The 3k I have in this Coyote would give me 500+ hp easy in an Ecoboost. I did knock almost 2sec of the quarter (high 13's) and my 0-60 is a solid 6 flat (summer). I've seen two door short bed F150's with the Ecoboost in the low 12's with bolt ons and a tune, thats impressive for a truck and still get 22mpg.

Our drag strip was called "Slaughter House Road". A nice flat, straight, just over 1/2 mile strip just past the old slaugher house north of town. Saturday night was race night. This was in the mid 70's, so mostly 50's and 60's cars. I had a 64 Impala and a 67 Couger. It was lots of fun. Except when the Mopar boys came out of the hills. They tended to win against most of us. :D The slaughter house is still standing, but no more racing. The road is used as a short cut for commuters now. I remember the races between the Vega wagons with 350's and Pintos with 302 engines. They tended to wind up in the ditch a lot.

Well, not meaning to reactivate a tread, but after reading all the way through I thought to present my one and only street racing experience with me as the driver.

Anyway, it was totally unintentional, but happened never the less.

I had purchased my BMW Z 8 Alpina roadster in October of 2003 and had settled in with it pretty well after driving it for several thousand miles on the clock by January 2005(it was not my daily driver, but my 1987 Astro van was ! ).

Anyway as the Jacksonville FL. Super bowl event is approaching the whole area is in a festive mood.
So I`m leaving my HS friends house to go home at somewhere around 2:~3:00AM a Sunday morning after having "a few beers" during the visit.
I`m on I-295 traveling West about a 1/4 mile from the divided direction 4 or 5 lane ~2 mile long Buckman bridge spanning the St. Johns river with the cruise control set at 90 just digging the roadster`s effortless power and handling , `cause there are hardly any cars on the road.
All my mellow cruising was abruptly disturbed when 2 coffee can exhaust rice burner(I think their called "tuners"?) and a late model Mustang blew by me as I was approaching the bridges concrete entrance apron.
They then slowed down and straddled me while juicing to and fro, probably thinking let`s show this "Euro trash" who owns the road.
Well I had just turned 49 the month before, so I reached over to the passenger set(metaphorically speaking) and picked up my "Stupid Hat" and put it on and abruptly pushed the peddle to the floor..
Well I had had the girl up to a 100 briefly a few times in the past 2 years, but never sustained high speed.

Now what makes this all interesting is I`m partially paralyzed and can only drive with my right hand on a steering wheel knob !!

So as I`m starting to enjoy this "Torque Monster`s" pulling power flying along on the 1/2 mile level portion before the crest of the bridge, I`m keeping a eye on my fellow participants location around me.
First one rice burner drops off, then a few second`s later the other threw in the towel, but Mr. Mustang is staying in my right rear blind spot as I had not yet removed the factory installed hard top so he was blocked by the hard top`s sail as it`s called.

And he stayed there for about around 10~15 seconds more until he finally backed off(I don`t know if he ran out of balls, horsepower, or both) as we started up the bridges slope towards the crest, so I decided to quickly glance at where the speedo needle was pointing relative to, like the hands on a clock so when I finally let off the peddle I could determine how fast I was going later.

Up until that moment I was too busy trying maintain focus on the competing cars and the bridge road, since I had never really raced anyone before, and with the very tight steering that roadster had it would take much movement to send me off that bridge into the river.

So when I arrived home and pulled in to the garage and turned her off I looked at the speedo markings and at the 3 `OClock position it read 150 mph, so I said Shit :yikes: !! Never been that fast before, driving or riding(especially with one hand !!!). And went in side and got a beer, because whatever buzz I had before was quite gone but my nerves were lit up with the adrenaline.

I then proceeded to walk around the roadster about 10 minutes smoking a cigarette and sipping my beer, all the while, exclaiming to myself out loud in reflection "Your talking to a Dead Man" over and over while shaking my head..

I have since been up to 150 mph a few time since with friends with the top down, and wasn`t aware until the passenger hollered over the wind noise the speed.
But no more racing other cars !!
Anyway FWIW. that was my " one and only racing event" :)

Thanking you for allowing me to tell about my little adventure.

Kind regards folks, OKB

Bill. Harrowing to say the least. And why certain conditions involving my normal use of one handed steering make me tend to be conservative. I drive with hand controls, and I love keeping it between the ditches. Losing a steering knob on Highway 129 on the Dragon taught me respect for my limitations on steering in a hurry. And that's strong upper body me in a little old high miles 1991 Honda Civic DX.

I had a 2005 Subaru STI with bolt ons and a tune. It would consistently run flat fours 0-60 and low 12's. The thing is, the AWD on the street would eat up cars it shouldn't off the line if you knew your car. I explained my clutch technic as what you do when you almost step on some dog crap. It's hard to explain but there's no slamming gears and dropping clutches in a AWD car unless you want to break it.
I was lined up with a 63 ish corvette, red, big chrome craigers (love to see that unsprung weight) flame job, sounded pretty good but no big lope. It was obviously a grandpa and his grandson of about 10. He revs it a time or two, I blew off my blow off valve a few times. Light turned green, we took off, I sand bagged it changing early like at 4500 or so. I could have walked him at any moment but you know that's grandpa's vette and it should be the fastest car around, plus that Monday at school (Pop pops vette beat a black STI). I've been smoked by primer fender four door Honda civics, shit box eclipse with a waste gate poking threw the hood, etc, etc, not afraid to lose. I've had a 2005 Subaru Legacy wagon with a manual and pretty much the same bolt ons and tune my STI had. That was my most favorite car I have ever had. Talk about hurting feelings, the best part is just because that 01 Z06 got you by a few car links there still like WTF man? What is up with the wagon. My 2014 four door F150 I have now as my DD will go 150+, well the fastest I've gone is 147 but it's supposed to. The cool thing is most all Cars are governed below that. I know G8 6.0's are 138 and Dodge Hemi products (RT) are in the 130's so that's fun. I think 99% of trucks are 95-105 which I like since I get a third gear kick down at 100. And as before I've been smoked, literally, by four digit torque diesels, SS Camaros, some guy in a beat up turbo Tacoma, etc, I love it, I'm not afraid to lose. I live in VERY rural GA so the only danger where I am is to yourself and pine trees.

I have a Volvo V50 now, turbo inline 5 AWD. It's a beast, but nobody ever gives a silver Volvo a second glance at a stoplight. Funny this is, I used to have this flashy bright orange Corolla and all the kids would try to race me all the time, but it was all looks and no gumption. Now it's the opposite.

Back
Top Bottom