1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

temp sony tape deck

Discussion in 'Tape' started by jami w., May 12, 2018.

1. jami w.

jami w. just being me thats all

picked up a sony tc-we305- for 10 bucks at a thrift store. it'll be replaced with a pioneer in very near future though.

who ever owned it gets a highfive from me. new belts, has been cleaned inside & outside, plays tapes and clean sounding.

and that wooden urn on the bottom, will be
    holding the ashes of the best dog i've ever had :( my gsd Roxie :(
    had to play one of my poison tapes :rockon:
    Screenshot_20180512-184212.png Screenshot_20180512-184155.png

Last edited: May 12, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. jami w.

any pro or cons on this deck? this is the very first piece of audio gear i've owned from sony.

3. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

You know, I think we have one of those, bought on closeout from Lechmere when they went outta business :)

By and large, I always liked Sony tape decks. That model is the bottom of the heap, but should be perfectly usable and listenable.

EDIT: Here it is, in the old house's "home theater" hifi.

[​IMG]P1020535(1) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  4. jami w.

thats all i needed to hear Mark, thanks buddy :beerchug: i'll be using it tonight, drowning myself in music. easing the pain of loosing my dog :(

5. jami w.

dam it Mark lol thats the same type of audio rack ive been searching for past 3 months.

6. mhardy6647

Actually that photo shows part of a bigger piece of furniture that we actually had made for the (CRT) and that hifi stuff, way back when (sometime in the 1990s).

Sorry to hear about your dog :(

jami w. likes this.

7. jami w.

thank you :( i keep calling her for walks and such. my kitten (her lil buddy) keeps walking room to room meowing looking for her. they always curled up next to each other, played with each other as well, my sheperd kind of adopted the kitten as one of hers and it was so dam cute!

im thinking of buying an entertainment center, and taking a sawzall and cuttingoff the part that goes out to tv shelf. and just use the rack part only :rflmao::rflmao:

8. mhardy6647

I used to have one of those Sullivan racks (which had been Mrs. H's way back when she was in grad school) in the basement (in MA), but it's long gone, I'm afraid.

upload_2018-5-12_22-8-4.png

cgutz likes this.
  9. mhardy6647

^^^ That's a different Sony dual-cassette deck in that old photo! :p That one was my parents'. The belts have failed on it. It was an older one, and several notches up the ladder. It was a pretty nice deck, actually (for a dual well, two-head deck, that is).

10. jami w.

i cant find any racks like that in my area grrrr

11. danj

danj modern primitive

That series of Sony decks sound good. Their glaring weakness is the cassette doors, which jam or break easily due to their all-plastic construction. Always be gentle with the doors when closing them - never slap them shut because that might break one of the brittle plastic pieces in the door latch. That's a good rule for any cassette deck but applies more to those late 80s - early 90s Sonys, even some of the ES models.

12. jami w.

yes i know all about the bpc gear, and plastic parts. i've always taken very well care of all
    my audio gear. i was more or less talking about the guts or internal parts. whats a known weak link/ how easy to repair and such like that.
    once i get/find the pioneer deck im looking for, i might keepthis as back up or donate back to the same thrift store i got it from.

13. jami w.

well im fixing the rack issue :rflmao:im buying a thrift store entertainment center tomorrow.
    the left side has 6 shelves and wood framed glass door.
    but im taking a sawzall and cutting the tv shelf part off. and sanding the cut edge of my *new rack* post pics before and after when its finished.

mhardy6647 likes this.
  14. jami w.

any the audio rack- i still have 2 more shelves to set up but it'll work. whats left of the entertainment center i bought this morning :rflmao:
    i could'nt use the glass in the door,, but door trim makes a perfect frame.
    20180515_152140.jpg

mhardy6647 likes this.
  15. jami w.

not to shabby for a redneck from maine :beerchug: im thinking of buying 2 short led flexable light strips for the left and right side in back of the trim. :idea:
    15264130165401691931769.jpg

16. jami w.

heres the same one i bought *online pic though, i forgot to snap a pic, when i brought it home.who ever owned it before me added more shelves and thats a good thing :) Screenshot_20180516-044556.png

Last edited: May 16, 2018