Terk-Schmerk!

FoolForARadio

I set up a Marantz 2230 reciever on a table in my living room, where I can't really tack up a dipole antenna, or run anything up into the attic. So I dug out a Terk AF-1 that I wasn't really happy with back when I bought it, and I'm still not happy with it! It under-performs the dipole that's just hanging off the back of the reciever. I assume I'm not missing any tricks to setting it up.

Are there any compact antennas (antennae?) that work well? How about the little powered Radio Shack number?

Thanks.

I think this link is in the sticky; if not it should be. Sad to say but the dipole is the best and only answer indoors. It's hard to go back to anything else once you've given it a listen (unless of course you put something up on the on the roof :D ). Rabbit ears are your second choice but then they're really just a dipole. Don't waste anymore of your cash; find a new location for the tuner and hang the $2.50 dipole. Reception varies greatly of course from one room to the other. You can get pretty creative, my best spot was a longish run from my living room to a second story back porch- I strung it up using a couple of dowels and rotated it like a fixed antenna. Worked like a charm :thmbsp:

http://www.kyes.com/antenna/dipole.html

Thanks. I stretched the dipole out under the rug last night, and it got the meter up to about 25%, but it brought in a couple of NPR stations without any audible static or noise.

Influx is right, none of the miniature/powered/trick indoor antennas work worth crap. I prefer rabbit ears to wire dipoles because they're easy to adjust for different stations.

Oops! I figured out what the antenna attenuation switch was for. Considerable increase in the signal after I defeated it, but still the dipole band works better than the Terk. So back in the drawer it goes!

Back
Top Bottom