Testing "Modern Day Hi-Fi" .... what is your source?

the_nines

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I realize there are quite a few source recordings that we use to "test" what our modern gear sounds like.

My newly-found source, on Mobile Fidelity Labs (Silver Label) is the album from "Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth". The entire album is a sonic treasure in terms of recording. In particular the first track on side one "Yulunga" is a true test for your equipment and what it can reproduce. The all-around sound is remarkable, but the bass passages have become my measuring stick.

Highly recommended:

deadcanintolabyrinth.jpg

How 'bout you guys?

Is there a source that you use to test your set-up?

Last edited:
I've been using that same exact album. I believe I mentioned it to JohnVF recently. You can use this one and get a long way.
Makes me want to get Spiritchaser also.

I've got others. My intent isn't to gush about my taste or anything other than point out that you do need more than one.

Others on vinyl:
Frank Sinatra: The Concert Sinatra MFSL - Such an incredibly large soundstage. Mike bumps, plosives, a single take live performance in all its glory. Listen to "I Have Dreamed".
Mel Torme: Mel Torme swings Schubert alley (with Marty Paich) - Japanese pressing. Everything's right.
A few big band direct to discs, including Benny Goodman, Harry James, Mel Torme with Buddy Rich and Les Brown - All of these guys were pros with decades of experience. I wish I could find a Basie or Ellington.
Opeth - Heritage - Listen to Haxprocess
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Dead (woops, should be Blank) Planet - It's all good
K.D. Lang -Ingenue - I can't believe I found this on vinyl, but I did and it's fabulous. Original pressing.
Peter Gabriel - Scratch My Back - So much to listen for on this one.
Mahler's 2nd Symphony - Boston Symphony Orchestra (BSO) Seiji Ozawa DMM - Just astounding dynamics before Ozawa/BSO soured on each other.
Saint Saens 3rd (Organ) Symphony Charles Munch - The BSO loved this conductor and always rose to the occasion. This is best on the Living Stereo 3 channel SACD, but on vinyl, you can find the occasional decent pressing. None rival the SACD though.
Berlioz Requiem Atlanta Symphony Robert Shaw DMM - Deep man, deep.

Last edited:
I've been using that same exact album. I believe I mentioned it to JohnVF recently. You can use this one and get a long way.

I've got others. My intent isn't to gush about my taste or anything other than point out that you do need more than one.

Others on vinyl:
Frank Sinatra: The Concert Sinatra MFSL - Such an incredibly large soundstage. Mike bumps, plosives, a single take live performance in all its glory. Listen to "I Have Dreamed".
Mel Torme: Mel Torme swings Schubert alley (with Marty Paich) - Japanese pressing. Everything's right.
A few big band direct to discs, including Benny Goodman, Harry James, Mel Torme with Buddy Rich and Les Brown - All of these guys were pros with decades of experience. I wish I could find a Basie or Ellington.
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Dead Planet - It's all good
K.D. Lang -Ingenue - I can't believe I found this on vinyl, but I did and it's fabulous. Original pressing.
Mahler's 2nd Symphony - Boston Symphony Orchestra (BSO) Seiji Ozawa DMM - Just astounding dynamics before Ozawa/BSO soured on each other.
Saint Saens 3rd (Organ) Symphony Charles Munch - The BSO loved this conductor and always rose to the occasion. This is best on the Living Stereo 3 channel SACD, but on vinyl, you can find the occasional decent pressing. None rival the SACD though.

All good choice you got there. Porcupine, Opeth and Peter Grabriel are my favorite. Indeed the song Haxprocess is a masterpiece (solo rift at the end is amazing)

I use the MoFi SACD remasters of Into the Labryrinth and Spiritchaser as two of my references when checking out equipment. I find myself leaning more toward Bird than Yulunga as the ultimate sonic test. With Yulunga's thunderous bass transients I find that I have to watch sound levels and can only push the volume envelope so far. With Bird, I find that I can push the volume levels that much farther, giving a more live, dynamic sound.

The album "5" by B-Tribe, on the Higher Octave Music label is also on my list of reference sources.

Here are some sound samples. Note that computer speakers will not adequately reproduce the lows in these tracks.

"Demasiado"

"Love"

"Misterio"

Last edited:
I realize there are quite a few source recordings that we use to "test" what our modern gear sounds like.

I just want to introduce you to mine, recently discovered, but I always had it.

In my record collection I have many, many records that have sonic qualities which I find truly spectacular. Whether they be originals or re-issues, these vinyls produce sounds second-to-none. I speak of vinyl only because this is what I have in my collection. I do have plenty of CD's but nowhere near the amount of vinyl albums I have accumulated. So, for the sake of this opening post, I will stick to vinyl. You may have another medium, I have vinyl. You may feel free to indicate your source.

My newly found source, on Mobile Fidelity Labs (Silver Label) is the album from "Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth". The entire album is a sonic treasure in terms of recording. In particular the first track on side one "Yulunga" is a true test for your equipment and what it can reproduce. The all-around sound is remarkable, but the bass passages have become my measuring stick.

I had the album playing on my main system A (see my sig).

I had the Leben CS600 at 2:00 o'clock.

The bass passages made my home shake. I kid you not.

The whole album is just so well done, in my opinion it should be used as a measuring stick.

Highly recommended IMHO:

deadcanintolabyrinth.jpg

The album should be a testament to what sound reproduction should be all about.

How 'bout you guys?

Is there a source that you use to test your set-up?

I've been trying to find it on vinyl but it seems no one has it in stock. Sounds like you got yours recently....may I ask from what shop?

Glen B....the "5" by B-Tribe is one that really moves me....very emotional. You sort of get drawn into the music with the passion of the different moods and rhythms. Out standing I must add.

I've been trying to find it on vinyl but it seems no one has it in stock. Sounds like you got yours recently....may I ask from what shop?

I picked it up when this re-issue was made available, over a year I guess. I bought it from a local record store. I have bought basically all my records from there.

I you would like, I can check and see if there is a copy in stock.

Thanks but I have it on CD and Amazon has me on notice when the Vinyl is made available again. thanks again.

Others on vinyl:
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Dead Planet - It's all good

I have the Sinatra and the Gabriel, and yes .... excellent!

I was going to pick up the Mel Torme, but decided not to. Hope it's still there (at the store).

Thanks for the list, I checked out a few of your suggestions on the net and I now have a mission.

I also have a number of albums which sound truly fantastic, too many to list, but if I had to narrow it down to one I would pick the Dead Can Dance I mention in the OP.

What I prefer about Yulunga to Bird is that it starts so slow and simple and builds to more than that. While it takes some time to unfold as a piece of music, from a tonal balance and voicing perspective, it is exquisite in making it so you can search for the sonic cues that work for you.

The Mel is just good music Nines. It's good music if you get it, and a sonic treat if you get the Japanese pressing.

I wasn't try to do anything other than point out other sonic and reference treats.

What I prefer about Yulunga to Bird is that it starts so slow and simple and builds to more than that. While it takes some time to unfold as a piece of music, from a tonal balance and voicing perspective, it is exquisite in making it so you can search for the sonic cues that work for you.

Totally agree.

I wasn't try to do anything other than point out other sonic and reference treats.

Thanks for pointing them out.

Pretty much anything by Steven Wilson shows off my vinyl setup. His solo work, especially on Grace For Drowning, the epic song Raider II and Deform To Form A Star, both are wonderful melodic pcs. On Insurgentes the last track, Get All You Deserve takes you into a 3 minutes guitar feedback session that pushes your speaker walls...awesome!
Porcupine Tree Fear of A Blank Planet, someone above typed "Dead Plant"....Sentimental and Way Out of Here are some of the best. Also the PT album Signify has some amazing melencholy sounds that glisten on my vinyl system.

Marillion's Marbles album for me has been stellar as a reference album lately....Regardless if I play it loud or quiet, it really has fantastic vocals and is very musical across the spectrum.
Other notables for me:

Supretramp - Crime of the Century
Rush - Hemispheres
Rush - A Farewell to Kings
Scorpions - Lonesome Crow (German pressing)
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (Remaster)
Soft Machine - Fourth
Yes - Tales/Topographic Oceans
Saga - Worlds Apart
Earth, Wind & Fire - All n All

Kraftwerk - Electric Cafe
Laurie Anderson - Mister Heartbreak
John Lee Hooker - Mr Lucky
Many Decca orchestral recordings from the 1960's, particularly those of Benjamin Britten. The Decca sound was incredible then.

Last edited:
Another one I use is a recording done straight to hard drive using a simple 2-mic technique of a local small-scale classical performance in a church. Something a friend did. It's very revealing of flaws but sounds great.

Back
Top Bottom