Testing "Modern Day Hi-Fi" .... what is your source?

this thread makes me really want to check out Dead can Dance.

I don't have great test albums per se but i try to listen to something that I am very familiar with to be able to "tell' the differences. The album I'm currently most familiar with is The Barr Brothers first (and only) album. I usually will also listen to some Floyd, Radiohead, and Phish. I would like to get a "reference" classical piece for myself but haven't taken the time to really develop a relationship with one. Though based on Art K's listening example I got a copy of Bells fo Stokowski which is a fantastic recording and could become a reference for me.

Ok just listened to both Yulunga and Bird and both are really nice tracks with superb recording quality. Thanks to everyone who mentioned this cool album.

I really enjoy this SACD, sounds like you're right up front.

514umIR-vzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Friday-Night-San-Francisco-Live/dp/B000002AHM

this thread makes me really want to check out Dead can Dance.

I don't have great test albums per se but i try to listen to something that I am very familiar with to be able to "tell' the differences. The album I'm currently most familiar with is The Barr Brothers first (and only) album. I usually will also listen to some Floyd, Radiohead, and Phish. I would like to get a "reference" classical piece for myself but haven't taken the time to really develop a relationship with one. Though based on Art K's listening example I got a copy of Bells fo Stokowski which is a fantastic recording and could become a reference for me.

Do yourself a favore and get some Dead can Dance...also some Tribe B or some Aria... Your ears will be happy.

I did offer to check if any vinyl was in stock. I could have picked one for you and shipped it to you (your expense :D).

Just sayin'

:)

Oh I know...and I appreciate your very kind offer. But there really is no need at this time. I hope if I have a need in the future, I can drop you a PM?

And which generation Champion do you have? That is one heck of a nice looking table. If I decided to get another table, I am going to try my best to find one. I love the size as well as the looks of the Champion. How is its performance in comparison to the Thorens?

...slippers---

Last edited:
I've been using that same exact album. I believe I mentioned it to JohnVF recently. You can use this one and get a long way.
Makes me want to get Spiritchaser also.
I use the Mofi Spiritchaser to test. I wish I got Mofi's Into The Labyrinth when the gettin' was good. Beautiful album and probably superior for this purpose. The recent EMI release of Dark of the Moon is a good go-to for me. For 45's, Portishead's Third is excellent for lower extension. I also have a 1978 Charlie Byrd Direct-to-Disc recording that's great for detail. Yaz singles are great for checking the punch. :) I also use Trans Euro Express by Kraftwerk--so stark that listening for this or that is straight-forward. I imagine Electric Cafe shares this quality.

Over the years I've had a series of demo favorites, from Close to the Edge, Rumours, DSOTM, Hasten Down the Wind, Crime of the Century, Paul Simon's Greatest Hits, to James Taylor's JT, Sinead O'Connor - I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got, Dire Straits, O' Samba, Raising Sand, Eva By Heart, Tusk. Funny how I've seldom used jazz for evaluation. But lately I've resisted what little temptation remains to drag out any particular standard when I first hear a new component, and just keep on listening to whatever's been in rotation lately, which is probably why I kept wanting to add more and more to the list...

Patrica Barber - Cafe Blue and Cafe Blue - Unmastered. Both in SACD.

Some of my go to are: Peter Gabriel- Passion
SuperTramp- Crime of the Century
Michael Buble-Fever
Dead can dance- ITL (first track)
Beck- Sea Change
Dire Straits- BIA
Eagles-Bitter creek (Desperado)
Elton John- Madman across the water
The Art of Noise-The seduction of Claude Debussy
Medeski Martin & Wood-Its a jungle out there?
Bryan Ferry- Mamouna, Boys and Girls, Avalon
Steely Dan- Gaucho
For sheer bass: Infected Mushroom, Crystal Method, Massive Attack

Stockfish Records!
The Vinyl collection, Closer to music

These are some compilations with some of the great artists signed by Stockfish ((Chris Jones, Dave Caruthers, Eugene Ruffolo, Sara K., Allan Taylor, Steve Strauss etc.).
Stockfish does the direct to metal mastering (DMM) and all material is outstanding. You really got to give them a try.
Bonus: the music is wonderful too!

Back
Top Bottom