1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Testing output transformer

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by Ziradog, Dec 7, 2018 at 8:42 PM.

1. Ziradog

Ziradog AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm sure there is a decent thread on how to test an output transformer that is loose (not in an amp), but I have tried several searches without success. Can someone point me in the right direction? Preferably one that does not require specialized equipment. Thanks.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Tom Bavis

Tom Bavis Audiophool Subscriber

Ohmmeter is a start. Primary will measure maybe 5% of its AC impedance (so a 10K transformer may be 500 Ohms DC resistance) Secondary will probably read zero, as most meters can't resolve tenths of an ohm. If you don't know the impedance, here's how to measure: https://www.radioremembered.org/outimp.htm

Ziradog likes this.
  3. BinaryMike

BinaryMike Pelagic EE Subscriber

Ziradog likes this.
  4. trobbins

trobbins Active Member

Ziradog, what testing did you want to do? What test equipment do you have? Were you aiming to determine what an OT is good for - eg. frequency response, power rating, distortion - or just impedance ratio? Do you know it is an output transformer, and if so then what do you know about it?

Ziradog likes this.
  5. Ziradog

Ziradog AK Subscriber Subscriber

Trobbins, I have found a transformer that came from a Pilot 240 to replace the generic OPT that is in one channel my 240 now. It looks rough, and I want to make sure it is functioning more or less properly. So I know it is an OPT and what the hook ups are supposed to be. I know the impedance ratio. Tools, I have a DMM & a simple oscilloscope, variac, not much else.

6. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

voltmeter and a variac will get it done well enough. Basically if its not shorted or open, and the impedance rings out right, its most likely fine.

Please register to disable this ad.