Testing Receivers

MultiVintage

Is there any way to test the Phono, Tape, CD, etc. outputs/inputs on a receiver without actually hooking it up to the piece of equipment? Thanks!

Well, I just take a short piece of wire, hold it in my fingers and touch the center of the socket. Keep the volume at zero and slowly increase it to see if there's any hum. If hum, input is probably good. OTOH, this isn't quite the same as a signal generator, scope and THD analyzer.

Hmm, I'll have to try that. So just a single piece of wire? Thanks.

Of course, that means you would need speakers or at least headphones connected.

If this is other people's gear you are looking at just bring along a RCA cable. One of the cheap "gimmie" ones is fine. That may be a bit more well received than sticking a piece of bare wire into the unit. Plug in one end to the receiver then touch your finger to just the tip of the other end.

I have also used a pure sine inverter to power up a couple items in the rare cases someone wanted to meet in public space like a parking lot.

I've got another question. In testing a Monster Power HTS 5100 power center, is there a way to test all rear outlets w/o having the proper equipment to hook up to it. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom