1. Work behind the scenes continues. AK may go offline again for additional database and or Xenforo fixes.
    Dismiss Notice

Testing speakers with multimeter?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Figit090, May 17, 2018.

1. Figit090

Figit090 Member

I tested some Klipsch Forte II speakers with a multimeter and one of them registered around 10 ohms while another around 4.7. After I powered them up to test them, both speakers were around 4.7 Ohms (unhooked from amp again).

Is the change in resistance indicative of anything? Or did I just wake up a dormant capacitor?

Is this even a worthwhile test for a speaker cabinet, or just testing a whole cabinet circuit with crossover installed pointless?

The speaker with the 10ohm starting value had some odd rubbing noises that I thought was a blown woofer but turned out to most likely be a really bad connection when I hastily plugged in my amp. I had limited time to test the speakers but at 20 Hertz the questionable woofer sounded like it was rubbing at first. Both put out good bass after I fixed the wire on the amp from what I could tell.

I was concerned about a partially blown voice coil but I don't know. The cabs are in good shape and I think you'd have to really abuse these top pop them.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. woodj

woodj Super Member

No.

F1nut, Figit090 and Chris Brown like this.
  3. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

Everything pretty much need to be out of circuit to test with a DMM, and even them the resulting data is meh. Good enough for testing if something is open or not.

Figit090 likes this.
  4. Figit090

Figit090 Member

LOL. Short and sweet, thank you. I got to thinking after I tested and realized... It probably doesn't do any good.

Ah, ok thanks! I appreciate the prompt replies.

5. Porkloin

Porkloin Oscar Heil Groupie Subscriber

Putting an ohm meter across the terminals of a speaker will only give you the DC resistance of the woofer and it's filter inductor. Because capacitors won't pass the DC from your meter, nothing with a capacitor in series with the driver (high-pass tweeter and band pass midrange) be be part of the read-out. The only thing a VOM is good for in diagnosing speakers is looking for breaks in a circuit.
    Regard your before/after readings as some sort of fluke