1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Thank You AudioKarma Staff and Members

Discussion in 'AK News' started by 4-2-7, Apr 15, 2017.

1. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

I had been elected member of the year in 2015 and we had the thread with good cheers and thank you.

Ernie always mentioned getting a plaque being MOTY and how he cherishes it. Chris our new MOTY for 2016 mentioned it in his thread and a conversation started about a plaque, I mentioned that I never got one.

Ernie made sure I got it, in fact insisted. Anyway heres what the AK member of the year plaque looks like, and I'll follow Ernie's lead in cherishing it for what it represents.

Thank You to all the greater AK family and effort all do to make this place a outstanding site.

IMG_0905.JPG

boza, Ballylongford, Pio1980 and 19 others like this.
  2. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

How.....Cool....Is.....That!

Congrats to you, Dan, and Chris, all all those great MOTY folk.

How is Tim, aka Kamakiri, these days?? (Isn't that who Tim Poliniak is?)

4-2-7 likes this.
  3. Frankie's Market

Frankie's Market AK Member Subscriber

Dan, it is well deserved, thank you for what you have done for me and for Audiokarma!

4-2-7 likes this.
  4. 4-2-7

Yes, and I'm pretty sure I had seen him make a post a couple months ago.

5. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Admin Staff Member Admin Subscriber

I'm glad you like it, Dan. Mine hangs on the wall, just a few feet from where I sit, when online. Sorry it took so long.
    Tim hangs out over at Videokarma. He works on old TVs.

4-2-7 likes this.
  6. onwardjames

Should you ever speak, tell him I miss his tales about restoring old campers and such. Friendly, entertaining guy whom I miss around here.

4-2-7 likes this.
  7. luvvinvinyl

Given the length of your tenure here, I'm fairly certain that your username/password will work over there. If not, shoot me a pm, and I'll take care of it for you.

If you want to tell him yourself.

4-2-7 likes this.
  8. onwardjames

Thanks, Ernie, I had forgotten all about videokarma!

4-2-7 likes this.
  9. HarmanKardon

HarmanKardon Tubes still smell funny Subscriber

Congratulations, Dan! This looks great and you deserve it so much!

And thank you so much, Ernie, for creating/inventing these beautiful...er... "decorations"? Don't know if this word is right.

4-2-7 likes this.
  10. savatage1973

savatage1973 Super Member

Congrats Dan (4-2-7)--a beautiful addition to your "audio collection"--and thank you for all of commentary on the site--I really enjoy your posts and look forward to them.

To our new AK MOTY--Chris (HarmanKardon)--congratulations as well. Your efforts to carry on the birthday recognition tradition is truly appreciated, and I thank you again for picking up the baton and running with it.

And Chris--QUIT APOLOGIZING FOR YOUR ENGLISH!!!--you have mastered it better than most of us "natives"--besides, we stole half your language anyways and managed to muck it up in our own way. As for "decorations"--it is actually more of an award, achievement, or trophy--something to be proud of--an accomplishment--and well-deserved. Again--congratulations, and keep up the good work!!!

11. ZebraBlvd

ZebraBlvd AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well deserved, Dan. Well deserved!

4-2-7 likes this.
  12. MarZutra

MarZutra Super Member

Amen Dan! Kudos and best from over'ere in New Scotland!

4-2-7 likes this.
  13. onwardjames

I agree wholeheartedly with Savatage in regard to Chris's English. It beats the pants off some of the Kentucky locals, no doubt.

HarmanKardon likes this.
  14. luvvinvinyl

I cannot take credit for this. It started with Kamakiri, back in 2003. He started the tradition, way back in AK's first (full) year. Mine was from year three (2005), and the honour is shared with EchoWars, he being the only three-time winner (2003-2004-2005)

The plaques have changed in appearance, over the years. I'll try to get merrylander to post a pic of his. It was much different in appearance. Now, other than colour, we are closer to the original design. Here is mine:

IMG_0017sm.jpg

HarmanKardon likes this.
  15. luvvinvinyl

Chris, to echo the above sentiments, there is very little that is ever wrong with your English. Nothing that a little more confidence wouldn't fix.

"Decorations"? Umm, no, I don't think that conveys the proper significance of the honour. Likewise, 'memento' also seems somewhat trivial.

it commemorates your selection, but I don't think 'commemorative' is really proper, either. Isn't English FUN?

In common or colloquial usage, these items are referred to as 'plaques', analogous to a 'trophy', which are free-standing, and 'in the round', so to speak, whereas a plaque typically is viewed only from the front, either sitting in a stand, like Dan's, or hanging on a wall, like mine is.

If, in your linguistic travels, you discover another, more appropriate word, I would love to learn of it, from you.

In the meantime, we wait for your plaque to arrive.

The suspense is killing me. I hope it lasts.

HarmanKardon likes this.
  16. luvvinvinyl

@4-2-7, did the little easel come with your plaque, or is that something that you already had?

17. 4-2-7

I actually had something else on it, a Yellow Submarine Clock I won in one of Dave's VOA auctions. It was setup in one of my record library room and I needed something to hold it up for the photo.

IMG_3311.JPG

I really don't know where or how I'm going to display it yet, most likely I'll hang it up on the wall or put it up on top the record storage.

18. 4-2-7

Cool, not many of these around if we really think about it, I'm glad I posted mine as it encouraged you to post yours. I was hesitant to do a thread and post a photo because my time had past. But since I never seen one and a thank you was in order, I wanted others to see what they look like.

19. onwardjames

I love our little club. :beerchug:

SPL db, Ballylongford and dyche01 like this.
  20. WhiteSE

WhiteSE Is Lute Gluten Free?? Subscriber

Oh, the Four Horsemen of AKpocalypse...! Thats a nice plaque Dan...

onwardjames and 4-2-7 like this.