Thanks for the Fest Memories

luvvinvinyl

My best pal, Molly
Subscriber
Like everyone, I had a great time at this year’s Fest. The major reason for this was everyone who was there. It was great to hook up with old friends, whom I see once a year, or even less frequently. You know who you are, and you’re too numerous to mention by name. This year, I got to see faces belonging to some long-time AK friends, who made their first trek to the Fest, and some new friends, too, many of them younger than my shoes. Thank you, all, for making this my best Fest EVER!

On the ‘nuts and bolts’ side of things, we had more exhibit space than ever, with several companies debuting their lines at the Fest. Some of our mainstay exhibitors, around whom we have grown the show, came to Livonia ready to rock our world, and our ears. I heard many great systems, and had my world expanded by the different approaches to audio nirvana. That’s one of the things that make this so much fun.

Thanks to our donors, who came through with the biggest, baddest pile of swag for us to give away, even though we had some minor difficulties doing just that. Thanks, Tentoze for riding shotgun with me on that little adventure Some of the swag was so cool I just had to go out and buy it. (Jolida FX-10, way cool!).

I cannot forget to thank the myriad people who came to the aid of our core staff. SMAC members, other generous friends who traveled many hours only to be pressed into servitude, so that the ladies at the registration table could catch a breath, so that the exhibitors could harass you, so that I could have you put out fires that would keep me from getting all my chores done. THANK YOU! Your service will not go unrewarded.

Walker, you get special mention, for service above and beyond… Thank you, my friend.

Eric. (Nothing more need be said.)

My dear wife, Linda, and her trusty sidekick, Joanne, neither of whom are dedicated to our hobby, but who come along to help, because they know that this is important to me.

Nancy, for all your tireless efforts, before, during and after the Fest, many thanks.

Dave, all my efforts are dwarfed by the Herculean labours that you exert, to host the show each year. I think only Nancy and I have a fair idea of the amount of work that you do for this. I, for one, am amazed that you can find the drive, each year. Truly, I am proud and honoured to call you Friend.

For anyone who doesn’t see themselves in this post, know that I do not intend any omission. Read between the lines. My heart remembers you.

Thank you, all, for my best Fest EVER!

Best Fest ever, indeed! I think I partied just as hard Saturday evening as ever, but for the first time managed to open up my room Sunday morning right on time. :D

BTW #1: With each and every passing year, I come to recognize more fully that you MUST be among the chosen ones - rarely have I encountered a person with such a gentle and completely balanced soul!

BTW #2: I think it must be more than coincidence that the one time I played a cut from Tommy on my system at the show, you were there. I had no idea how special this recording was to you, and your comments after hearing it in my room were most definitely my AK-Fest highlight this year.

All my best,
Brian

Ernie, this is why I considered it such an honor to sit around with you, Todd, and Linda Ronstadt after the close of the fest and just be. You are truly a prince among men. Thanks for helping to make the fest happen.

Ray

And my THANKS to you as well.
With your hard work and detication ---It was a SMASH.
I was glad to meet you.
James Stewart (JHS2RT)

BTW #1: With each and every passing year, I come to recognize more fully that you MUST be among the chosen ones - rarely have I encountered a person with such a gentle and completely balanced soul!

Truer words never spoken.

Brian

I couldn't make it to the Fest but I can vouch for this as being the truth...:thmbsp:

And another thing I'm certain, Ernie had no intention of this thread becoming a testimony to him.

Terry

My dear friend Ernie is a gentleman among gentlemen- I tend to hang around that side of the Fest more than I am ever actually needed for anything productive, just for the pleasure of shooting the shit with him. That, and he brings good beer.

Thank you Ernie...I had a great time! It was great to catch-up with old friends and meet many new ones.

Always a pleasure to be of service!

I met so many fine people at the fest but you are special Ernie. You are very deserving of all the praise you receive.

Mike

Always a pleasure my Friend, at work or at play. :music:

Ernie, this is why I considered it such an honor to sit around with you, Todd, and Linda Ronstadt after the close of the fest and just be. You are truly a prince among men. Thanks for helping to make the fest happen.

Ray
That moment made all the miles worthwhile, and I mean that for everyone who dropped in to sit with us in those quiet moments. Thank You all.

My dear friend Ernie ... brings good beer.
QFT. :beerchug:

Great post Ernie. Sums it all up nicely. Your efforts as well made this years Fest a great place to be!

Eric. (Nothing more need be said.)

Having just reread many of the AK-Fest 2009 posts, I myself feel that a little more SHOULD be said about Eric (AKA tentoze).

As wonderful as everything else is at each year's AK-Fest, I never feel completely at home until I see Eric wandering towards my room. Eric is another one of those unforgettable personalities without whom AudioKarma would not be the same - he is an absolutely essential ingredient of this recipe!!!

And I am beginning to believe that tentoze may just be the jackalope of high-end audio. He truly does seem to possess the mythical "golden ear" that most audio critics are convinced they own (but don't), but he himself would be the first to deny it.

And there's no denying that Eric has great taste in both music AND beer. What better friend could anyone have?

Happy listening!
Brian

Having just reread many of the AK-Fest 2009 posts, I myself feel that a little more SHOULD be said about Eric (AKA tentoze).

As wonderful as everything else is at each year's AK-Fest, I never feel completely at home until I see Eric wandering towards my room. Eric is another one of those unforgettable personalities without whom AudioKarma would not be the same - he is an absolutely essential ingredient of this recipe!!!

And I am beginning to believe that tentoze may just be the jackalope of high-end audio. He truly does seem to possess the mythical "golden ear" that most audio critics are convinced they own (but don't), but he himself would be the first to deny it.

And there's no denying that Eric has great taste in both music AND beer. What better friend could anyone have?
Sweet Jesus! Have you gone mad?

I would have to agree with BrianB. This being my first fest, and a long way from home, I was taken aback like a kid in a candy store for the first day of the show. Not really knowing anyone, being that I am a slackass and don't post as much as I should, I mostly lurked and looked on the first day. When I stumbled into BrianB's room late Saturday, well hell, early Sunday morning,:drunk: everything came together. There was Ernie on the couch with Wajobu, Drybasement by the door, and Tentoze holding court by the coffee maker. :smoke:(I kinda glamorized that because the bathroom was in about the same place as the coffee maker) I digress... Back to my point. It was at this moment where I truly felt like a part of something great. Good people(I dare say noble creatures), Great beer, Sweet tunes, stimulating conversation. I had arrived! There I was, a newbie in a the golden ear frat house. I can't thank all of you guys enough for the lifelong memories you helped create! I really want to extend that thanks to ALL of the people that helped make this fest what it was. :bigok: I have said it before in previous posts, this was my first fest and certainly won't be my last. I strongly encourage anyone and everyone to partake in this experience at least once.
So, steering this careening cart back from a tangent there... I would like to say thanks. I really look foreward to sharing some good times and single malt Irish whiskey with you in the near future!:beerchug:

Alan, I haven't got the amp up, yet, but I hope to do so in a couple of weeks.

Brian, I was very pleased and proud to see you early Sunday morning, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, and ready to face the day.

Ray, Todd, my great regret from last year's fest was that I spent so little time with you, my good friends. I managed to rectify that, this year, at least somewhat.

James, it was good to see you, again, but I think we first met at one of the SMAC meetings.

Steven, does the phrase "Whatever it takes!" mean anything to you?

Terry, you were missed, sir. And you are correct.

Eric, your presence increases MY productivity and enjoyment, and, thus, is a requirement. Thanks.

Walker, what would the Fest be without our friends? Just another audio show.

Mike G, your reputation precedes you. It was truly a pleasure to meet you, in person, at last.

Rob, thank you for the kind words. Linda and Jo say "Hi!"

Dan, I feel the same. I'm very glad that you made it this year.

Mike, I'm sorry that I didn't spend more time in your room. I did get to see your lovely wife and beautiful daughter, at least briefly, so I win.

Brian, you are right about Eric. He is always the first person I see in the hotel. My touchstone, as it were. All the rest of it is true, no doubt. I credit Eric with a major role in my music education and appreciation. I wish my wallet could keep up. You ask, "What better friend could anyone have?" I can think of a few who share that territory with him. One in particular comes to mind, right now.

Mark, there is a long and sordid tale behind that short post. Maybe next year, we'll regale you with the continuing saga.

budge, on the short list of new friends for this year, there sits your name. ( I seem to have forgotten it right now. You wouldn't happen to remember it, would you?) As I recall that evening, you were a newbie in that room for about 2.3 microseconds. Quality will always show itself, especially when the individual comes recommended by persons whose opinion I hold in the highest regard. I look forward to the next time we meet. We have conversations to finish. Thanks.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

It's Jon, Ernie. I thought I would post this picture to share my experience with others. This was taken about 4am, when Paz Alive got up to use the loo. Apparently the effort it took to remove the cushions from the fold out couch completely exhausted me, so I decided to have a nice sit-n-sleep. Who doesn't enjoy a good sit?

Attachments

• festout.jpg
    festout.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 34
Only 4 am? Well, you're still young. With years of training, you'll improve your performance. OTT, it seems that you have completely shed your former 'newb' status.

Thanks, Jon.

Back
Top Bottom