Thanks Radio Shack!

janikphoto

Lunatic Member
Now that a couple nearby stores went belly up, I'm ready to replace parts on my turntables, headphones, and other audio gear for years to come!

Attachments

• IMG_1241.JPG
    IMG_1241.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 251
I have lost most of the locals over the last couple of years, but they decided to pull the plug on a couple remaining. Both have been Rat Shacks for 40 years or so. Parts were 20%, and went to 60% off last week. Seems like mid April is shut down.

The remaining stores here carry so little inventory, I don't know if it would be worth going to a closeout sale. Too bad RS didn't adapt to the changing marketplace.

Well, I got rca ends to solder on turntables, headphone plug ends to solder on broken headphones, clips, clamps, fuse holders, and all sorts of goodies at $0.25 to $0.45 per package!

That's terrible and sad. It's been a landmark for DIY'ers for decades. It used to be a conglomerate for which audio mfgrs designated gear for. I still have a 1978 analog radio shack volt meter. It's not a Fluke and was made in Korea, but still runs and is pretty accurate. This is not a good sign or good karma.

i bought a corded phone there about ten years ago and some sort of adapter once, maybe been in one 4 times in 60 years just wasnt my kind of store and there were a bunch of them in my area, i bought a ton of the same kind of stuff they sold just not there

Most of the stuff that the DIYers needed was not inventoried anymore. From what I can tell, they sold batteries and phone accessories like cases, cords, and earphones as well as some R/C toys. They didn't really have an identity anymore.

Most of the stuff they had on the shelves were just kind of curious items that were once in a while replacement things like button cells, but the prices were so outdated, like $5 for a single LR44. No wonder they collapsed.

I don't think RS did anything wrong, but they should have turned into a Best Buy kind of place. The core market for their identity, DIY and ham radio is dead.

Most of the stuff they sell is available online for 1/10 the price they charged shipped to your door. The market changes. People buy TV's and audio at Best Buy. They get their DVOM from Harbor Freight for $3.99, not RS for $32. I guess even car audio is dead for them since they don't install.

I guess they just weren't able to adapt to a changing marketplace.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incredible_Universe

Wow. The pains of growing too fast. I never heard of Incredible Universe. Thanks for that link. Seems like in the rush to expand from the first profitable stores, adequate market research was not carried out and the subsequent growth sank the boat.

The one here was a couple of miles from where I work. It was turned into Frys, still has the steer on the roof and ranch theme inside.

dallas_pic1.jpg

The Radio Shack near my house still had quite a bit of audio cables and adapters but they were only 20-30% off. The guy told me that the store may not even close, they were moving merchandise.

Radio Shack lost its DIY image along time ago, they have been concentrating on phones and trendy electronics for the last 10 years at least.

There are lots of companies that have gone out of business because they forgot what made them successful. Had RS moved to home theater rather than cell phones and digital cameras, would they still be viable? It is sad that Best Buy is about the only place you can see, hear and feel consumer level electronics. Although we want to, not everyone can afford to shop the boutique A/V stores and even those are sparse and limited.

Cell phones and cameras were available in every department store, grocery store, office store etc and kiosks as well as company stores all over. Where do you go for your A/V stuff? Should still be a viable business.

RS wasn't always just a DIY/parts store. TRS-80, and the Tandy IBM-PC-equivalents. and they had
electronics at one time - amps, et al.

Like all ideas, innovate or die. Best-Buy may be one of the last survivors after Lafayette, Comp-USA
and all the others.

EBay once again will be saturated with very cheap Radio Shack parts. The same thing happened a couple of years ago after the first RS downsizing. The flippers are on the move.

Yeah, there was a couple from east Texas that hit up all the stores in north Texas. All the salespeople knew who I was going asking about when I went to another store closing. The couple would spend a thousand bucks at each store. They said they resell on amazon.

Regarding other comments about RS losing their identity, they should've doubled down on DIY. Stuff like the raspberry PI, and all the other at-home projects are flourishing. They could've been a hub for that stuff, instead of just devoting one aisle to it.

Amazing how a wonderful chain like Lafayette went bankrupt 40 years ago, and RatShack continued.

I worked for Lafayette during high school (late 60's to early 70's) and Radio Shack during college. Even spent a few years as a store manager and was a product trainer (they used to do that back in the day). Back then as a manager in a decent store you could make decent money. I did very well on their stocks too.

RS was a godsend to me as a student/student hourly in the physics dept. When I had to quickly build a prototype board for an ECL circuit, the campus RS was the only way to get the right value resistors -- in an hour.
Also so poor that for most of my pet projects I bought parts one bag/box at a time. Granted, the DIP package was new then (as was 74LS, then cmos....). As time went on I could afford to buy in bagfuls...and still have some of their LEDs ('NIB'!).
Even bought the olivetti (!) version of their Model 100 tablet computer solely because I could 'try one on' at the local store (the olivetti had a folding/tiltingscreen, same price.)
Wonder what kids in similar straits today do...ordering bagfuls of stuff to minimize shipping costs wasn't part of the equation back then. Building drones to go get the stuff for them? :)
Interesting trip down memory lane, but times did certainly change, and they didn't - and they could have been the amazon of electronics, if they'd played their cards right.
Thanks for memories!

Back
Top Bottom