Thanksgiving is coming, fresh or frozen turkey?

A frozen bird is fine for my purposes, but I buy a Kosher bird as it is not injected with a brine/salt water solution. I buy a dry brine from either William Sonoma or Costco and put that on for at least 24 hours prior to tossing it in the oven. Works out great, flavorful and without the mess and needed monitoring of temperature if wet brining a bird. Since I host Thanksgiving in my small 1 bedroom apartment, dry brining a 16 pound bird is my only option.

A frozen bird is fine for my purposes, but I buy a Kosher bird as it is not injected with a brine/salt water solution. I buy a dry brine from either William Sonoma or Costco and put that on for at least 24 hours prior to tossing it in the oven.
I'm curious, if you remember, what's in the dry brine besides the obvious salt.

I'm curious, if you remember, what's in the dry brine besides the obvious salt.
No info on the WS website, I will check when i get home, pretty sure I still have the original packaging. I would expect the usual suspects, some version of thyme, rosemary, garlic, onion, bay leaf, pepper, sage,lemon peel etc.

The fresh taste better I think. We've been getting them for years, though last year my aunt got caught up with other things and didn't order it in time. Butterball was the fallback. They're also fine and all, but a little on the bland side unless you add some extra zip to the stuffing and gravy. She's an excellent cook so it was still a great meal.

thyme, rosemary, garlic, onion, bay leaf, pepper, sage,lemon peel etc.

Do you have to get that at Scarborough Fair ?

The fresh taste better I think. We've been getting them for years, though last year my aunt got caught up with other things and didn't order it in time. Butterball was the fallback. They're also fine and all, but a little on the bland side unless you add some extra zip to the stuffing and gravy. She's an excellent cook so it was still a great meal.

Do you have to get that at Scarborough Fair ?
Yeah I forgot the Parsley!

Back
Top Bottom