1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

That. Sansui 800

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by birchoak, Jun 12, 2018.

1. birchoak

birchoak Hi-Fi Nut Subscriber

I had heard bits and pieces about this smallish receiver and finally bought one some years ago. Today I dusted it off and hooked it up to some bi-wired Paradigm towers in my basement as I was conducting some listening tests (very scientific, I assure you) of different amps and receivers. A Yamaha A-760 integrated amp sounded very good, with lots of good bass; a Denon receiver someone gave me (missing volume knob) surprised me, sounding as good as the A-760 (but without the cryptic switches and silver-faced Yamaha mystique), and a recently purchased Harman Kardon A300 tube amp presented itself beautifully, perhaps the most balanced of the bunch. Then, because I was thinking of selling it, I hooked up the 800.

Wow. Same speakers, same listening space/position, same day, same sun position (ok I'm being silly now) and better bass than all of the above units. The best way I can describe the Sansui's sound is that I heard more information at the lower frequencies; its lower end simply had more authority than the other amplifiers. Madonna's Hung Up is a workout for any amplifier, as is Fat Boy Slim's That Old Pair of Jeans, but the 800 delivered the goods, up to a point. It did run out of steam much sooner than the others, more likely due to its age and questionable state of the filter capacitors than its lower power rating, methinks.

So, I am not selling it and just ordered a bunch of capacitors. It is such a sleeper! Everyone wants the Eight or the 9090DB or one of the G-Series monsters, and that's just great for people like me. Bring me the underdog; I'll feed him! I'm guessing the 800 flies under the radar because it doesn't look particularly threatening and appears to be a low powered budget model. But it ain't! Holy cow does it put out sound! A wall of sound! You look inside it and think to yourself, what is in here that is making all that sound?

Chime in with your Sansui 800 impressions! Am I mental? Deluded? Probably, but I think I'm right about the 800.

BLAH BLAH and ChicagoTom like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Pioneer Vir

Pioneer Vir AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have one that I use with Infinity Qb speakers. One of my favorites to listen too. I think it's an absolutely great receiver.

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom AK Subscriber Subscriber

Owned it. Loved it. Sold it for some goddam silly reason.

Bought it again, this time in mint condition and in a lovely wood case.

I've bought and sold several dozen receivers (mostly 15-30 wpc) over the past 5 years, and the Sansui 800 is right at or very near the top of my list. Take a look at Pat Font's thread on the Sansui 505. The late, great Jim of QRX Restore told me that the 800 is pretty much a 505 with a tuner!

Only one thing I don't like about the 800, and that is the lovely green tuning dial only glows when listening to the radio, which I pretty much never do. I want to see that beautiful dial ALWAYS. I'm pretty sure my tech can rewire it accordingly. I'll do that someday.

4. desertlizard

desertlizard AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've only heard good things and seems they can still be had cheap.
    I do think any of the single digit receivers are amazing, 800 I need to try.
    DL

5. birchoak

birchoak Hi-Fi Nut Subscriber

I agree on the dial not lighting up--there's got to be a fairly easy way to supply power to it so it's on all the time.

6. mroboto

mroboto Super Member

If I remember corectly, it uses type #47 bulbs for tuner display, you will wish to convert to LED if you find a way to keep them lighted all the time.

This tuner amplifier have really good bass indeed, with great sensitivity speakers, I used it in the past with Wharfedale 12" bass drivers , 8" mids and dome tweeter and was sounding excellent, hard to beat.

Not so excellent with the cheapest smallish Radio Shack speakers I had at a moment, too low sensitivity for his 22 watts.

The only pain for me with this 800 , is the bias adjustment is not very easy to understand with manual and schematic when you are not very acquainted with electronics, that's one of the the resaons why I screwed it up when I was younger.

Still have it but not in working condition for years, I still keep it hoping someday I will repair or have it repaired and restored.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Go Giants

Go Giants Well-Known Member

I have an 800. That lil receiver can kick some butt. Sounds way more powerful than 22 wpc. Made at a time when discreet circuitry was used. Great amp sections in those older Sansui's.

8. knockbill

knockbill Addicted Member

Brought one home with me 69 or 70,,, its my war bride!!! Its also my connection to AK, as I found this site searching for help/info on recapping it... Its a fine little (20W or so) 60's SS amp... used it for 40 years before I rebuilt it,,FM, R2R, CDP, TT, headphones... This amp is exactly as described above!!! Punches way above its weight... I don't run it much now, as I got into tubes, but its not going any where!!!! Sansui 350 is its little bro, IIRC...

Pic of it after recap 5 years ago...

Attached Files:

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  9. Go Giants

Lot's of Sansui equipment was bought overseas during the Viet Nam era. Bought by soldiers and taken back to the states. Sounds like that's what you did. If so, thanks for your service!

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  10. Go Giants

These posts about Sansui prompted me to put my 4000 back into service in a spare bedroom. Paired with some vintage KLH 23's it sounds really nice. Both pieces built circa 1970. Pulled my Mac 1700...I think the 4000 sounds a tad better.

Bruno Primas likes this.