1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

That thing is HUGE! What's your largest receiver?B

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by ChefE, May 13, 2017.

1. ChefE

ChefE AK Subscriber Subscriber

The Golden Age of Audio made some monsters. The HD Age has brought some big'ones too. Vintage gear such as the Wintec R-1120 makes the big Sansui QRX-9001 look small which trumps a newer
    Nakamichi R-1 in comparing size. As does a Yamaha RX-V1400 and the like because every feature conceived is stuffed inside. I don't know about you, but I NEED "Hall- Concert- Sci-fi mode B- Church" options when I'm listening Air Supply or Iron Maiden on cassette tape or record or CD or DAT or LaserDisk or BluRay or BetaMax or 3 video tapes or on ITunes or Spotify or XM or FM or AM radio from my rig's main LR speakers up front and those at my side and in back and those way up in the ceiling, and especially in Room 3 because tone controls aren't enough.

Bigger does not equal better and there's everything in between. But what are the biggest receivers ever made ? (yes a G-33000 counts since it can be one unit) And how and where did you keep them? Who makes a audio component cabinet with interior shelving for gear over 19" wide? IMG_1130.JPG

Top to bottom : Wintec R-1120 stereo receiver, 24 1/8 inches wide x 7" x 19" including knobs.
    Sansui 8900ZDB, 22 1/4" wide.
    Sansui G-7700, almost 20" wide.
    Sansui QRX-777, 22" wide.
    Dual C830 cassette deck and Infinity 2500 speakers on stands.
    * They all work.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. arts

arts Super Member

I'm going to have to say that the pig I have on my bench presently is without doubt the winner in my case.Huge doesn't even begin to describe it!
    Rotel RX-1603. 23 5/8''w x 7''h x 18 7/8''d & 73lbs. For you metric geezers,that's 600w x 180h x 480d & 33kg's.

Pic from the net:

[​IMG]

3. Omegaman

Omegaman Ultra Super Member

It was too big and it weighed too much, so I sold it off
    m23.jpg

WaynerN, Djcoolray, bluemooze and 5 others like this.
  4. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

[​IMG]

And ya ... finding a cabinet that works for one of those bad boys can be a problem. I ended up building my own. On the bright side, that left lots of room to upscale the monitor on the HTPC ...

[​IMG]

PS ... the size isn't just for looks either ... there's a LOT packed in ...

[​IMG]

5. Audiofreak71

Audiofreak71 Boerboelicious Subscriber

IMG_3191.JPG IMG_1661.JPG IMG_1659.JPG Not sure if newer receivers are allowed in this thread, but thought I would share one of the last great sounding Uber receivers that's built like a tank, at 73lbs 18in long 17in wide 9in tall rated to 4ohms and a true 150wpc, it's definitely a back muscle puller as it did just that to my back when I foolishly thought I'd just pick it up right quick and move it to another rack (not smart). Anyway onkyo did a very good job with this one (onkyo TX-nr1000) and extremely clean on the inside as well. Great looking receivers on here and lots of good listening, happy listening all :thumbsup:

Audiofreak71

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  6. Hajidub

Hajidub Chihuahua/Pug = Chug Subscriber

Don't currently own it, but I'd have to say my biggest was the Fisher RS-1060. I think it measured at 23" wide, weighed a ton.

7. arts

arts Super Member

Anything with that much transformer and heatsink certainly deserves to be here,even if it was manufactured after the golden age.From their biggest to their smallest,Onkyo was always a high quality,class act.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  8. Audiofreak71

Well thank you for letting me grace these pages with mine along with these very fine pieces of art from the Golden era of receivers.

Bdbras84 likes this.
  9. just dave

just dave vintage rules!

My back hurt's lookin at it.What's the model #.

10. The Fuxtor

The Fuxtor AK Subscriber Subscriber

P_20170312_184557_LL.jpg Sansui Qrx-5500 sitting above a HK330c!!

11. Audiofreak71

TX-nr1000 definitely a back breaker lol.

Ds2000 likes this.

12. gasman517

gasman517 I'm only here for the Beer!

IMG_1268.JPG My sta 2100d is the biggest I have 20.5"x16.5 and weighs 48 lbs

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  13. rxonmymind

rxonmymind AK Subscriber Subscriber

For now I have to say my Marantz 2500. It would be interesting to see it up against my Realistic 2100.

Attached Files:

tater415, Audiofreak71 and gasman517 like this.
  14. jimbo2k

jimbo2k Adcom GFT500, 2GFA535,BandO RX2, MMC3,C101 L570's, Subscriber

My stereo enclosure was formerly a rack mount, so now I am limited to 17 1/2. Had to take the wood panels off of my Sony 2000esd and it just fits. Was going to use a Kenwood 6030 but it would only fit after removing the wood end panels and the steel cover.Couldnt do that. Next up for a change a Sansui AU 999, TU999 will get a test fit soon

15. Ohighway

Ohighway Wannabe Minimalist Subscriber

Not the biggest in this thread, but not tiny by any means. Top to bottom. Sanyo DCX-3300KA, Kenwood 9940, Pioneer QX-9900. The Pioneer is the biggest of the three at 22.25" wide.

P1050775.JPG

bluemooze and Audiofreak71 like this.
  16. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

Onkyo TX8500 MK II over 21" wide 19" deep and over 7" tall and weighs 68 pounds. 160 WPC dual mono.

Djcoolray and M0therG00se like this.

17. robert_kc

robert_kc AK Subscriber Subscriber

The biggest receiver I own is the Pioneer SX-1980.

I think there are a few that are larger and more powerful (that I haven't owned), such as Marantz 2600, Technics SA-1000, Sansui G-33000, Hitachi SR-2004, Rotel 1603 (referenced above), and maybe one or two more. These "monster receivers" can be fun, until you get old, and have difficulty lifting and carrying them safely. :eek:

FWIW, I also like my Kenwood KR-9050, and Marantz 2325 (not shown - it's installed in a different system).

[​IMG]

18. onemug

onemug AK Subscriber Subscriber

Agree. Nice collection btw.

19. onemug

onemug AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sansui G9000 is my biggest. I had to have a custom rack made for the next largest...even then the G9k had to go on top. IMG_1591.jpg

EngineerNate, quiet, hugo454 and 5 others like this.
  20. robert_kc

robert_kc AK Subscriber Subscriber

Onemug - let's see a list of those receivers. :)

I also had to have the table shown above custom made - quarter sawn oak - all mortise and tenon construction. BTW, not more expensive than nice "store bought" furniture.