The "$250" Amp? - 6LU8 Compactron SE, UL

It occurs to me to wonder: while figuring out a power supply, would it be possible (or desirable) to have power off/stand-by/on? One of my concerns is tube life. Leaving an amp on all the time shortens life. Turning on and off is also not good for the heater filaments. Is it possible to have a stand-by mode where the power to the grid is cut and the filament powered at a reduced level? This would reduce warm up time AND prolong tube life by limiting the current surge in the filaments when switching the power to full on.:scratch2:

Please be gentle--I'm a total noobie.

Cheers, Jim

No! That sucks! Forget it! Drop dead!

Just kidding... :yes:

Seriously, I'd say let's stay away from anything that adds complexity and parts count to the basic unit for build one. Maybe make a nice add-on for later mods? But in any case, we're talking about 1 dollar tubes here, if I'm not mistaken. Not a huge deal if they don't live forever. Heck, I'm looking forward to 'rolling tubes'! I'm going to be like a junkie, I can just tell.

Realistically, they'd probably be closer to 5.00 tubes, but even so, nothing to worry about in terms of tube life. Besides, amplifier duty will probably be an easier life for them than their intended role.

well how about we have a bit of a poll for extras people might like? headphone jack? multiple inputs? I dunno, not wishing to hijack or start any arguments, but can we have "if you want option b, do this..", wont change the basic amp, just extras if people want them

Probably not a bad idea but as one of the people waiting for the plain jane version, I'd suggest waiting until the basic unit is designed, BOM defined, parts ordered, and all that. When there's a working prototype on the bench of the folks who want just the basics (at least Wiggy and I) then go nuts with extras. Just my opinion, of course.

Dave if you're ordering sockets, count me in.

Ray

well how about we have a bit of a poll for extras people might like? headphone jack? multiple inputs? I dunno, not wishing to hijack or start any arguments, but can we have "if you want option b, do this..", wont change the basic amp, just extras if people want them

Nah, we're going to do it my way. No polls. I'm open to suggestions, but I probably won't OK anything that adds expense or complexity of build.

Once the build is done - then we can option and mod to everyone's heart's content.

If we don't keep it as cheap, easy, and basic as possible, we're going to peel off the newbies like myself left and right, plus we'll end up with distracting side-arguments about gold plated three-handled credenzas versus ball-bearing framistats.

One vision, one amp. Cheap, simple, easy to build. We're still nailing down the details, but that's the plan.

I, once again, agree with Ray. Let's stick with the basics and then we can work on personalizing our own amps with our specific requirements over time.

EDIT: I also agree with Wiggy but he didn't forget to hit the post button for about 10 minutes... :)

I, once again, agree with Ray. Let's stick with the basics and then we can work on personalizing our own amps with our specific requirements over time.

EDIT: I also agree with Wiggy but he didn't forget to hit the post button for about 10 minutes... :)

When you're making soup, it's a good idea for everyone to come by and drop in what they've got (old Stone Soup story).

But the problem is that everyone wants a tweak - something that makes it good and special for them (and rightfully so, no disrespect intended). But soon everyone has their tweak in, and either the thing's a mess (think AMC Pacers, designed by committee) or it's awesome but all the confused n00bs it was intended for have long since faded away with a box of half-assembled parts.

I still remember when my dad got excited about the Cub Scouts pinewood derby race. I ended up with a great car that I didn't design, build, or paint. I just ran it down the track. Rah rah.

So I realized (after being smacked upside the punkin haid by Kegger) that a project like this that attracts n00bs and has them going 'yeah, I could build that' needs ONE honcho - or it falls to creeping featuritis. So since I came up with the notion, I'll take the reins and be the boss, for good or ill. I don't have the talent - Squidward and Kegger and PacProtector and all the other genius d00ds got that going on. And I'm no expert in electronics - I'm color-blind and can't even solder properly. But I can keep a project on track. And I'm the perfect leader - I don't know what I'm doing. If I can build it, all the n00bs can do it.

And, of course, if this goes well, there will be a permanent record of it. Anyone can duplicate it - and again if it goes well - lots of tweaks can then be added on.

But first, the basics.

Nah, we're going to do it my way. No polls. I'm open to suggestions, but I probably won't OK anything that adds expense or complexity of build.

Once the build is done - then we can option and mod to everyone's heart's content.

If we don't keep it as cheap, easy, and basic as possible, we're going to peel off the newbies like myself left and right, plus we'll end up with distracting side-arguments about gold plated three-handled credenzas versus ball-bearing framistats.

One vision, one amp. Cheap, simple, easy to build. We're still nailing down the details, but that's the plan.

Good point and fair enough, the last thread relating to project was a dogs breakfast

Glad you guy's worked that out, Wiggy's got a handle on it, lets get some built
and working then go for the extras/tweaks later, it will also give people more to
learn as they "personalize" theres for what they want, or think they want it to be.:D

Just thought I should add that someone should probably volunteer to buy parts to build an amp first to make sure everything works well together and, if there is feedback, to get that setup correctly and stable as well. I'm not volunteering do it :D (I don't have the $ to spend on this now), but someone should...to be the guinea pig so to speak. :thmbsp: It should be someone with adequate test equipment (oscilloscope and signal generator mainly, maybe a variac).

Good point and fair enough, the last thread relating to project was a dogs breakfast

I promise to give this my best effort. To that end, I've put up a website (some have found it already, Kegger asked me to stop talking about it) where I am going to run some of my own experiments.

It is my belief that a discussion forum is great for discussion. Not great for step by step directions, with side bars and explanations and photos, etc. What happens is, step one gets posted, then there are about a gazillion questions and comments and then maybe step two gets posted, but by that time people are asking where's step one again? and Hi, I just joined is it too late for me to get in, and etc. Very confusing.

So, my intent is to shadow the process on my website, extracting the content and leaving out all the discussion, and labeling it step by step, inch by inch. Photos, arrows, and a paragraph describing each one, with drill-down links for more detailed explanation. Also included - a glossary of jargon and an FAQ - as they come up, I'll post 'em on my website in a common, easy to find place.

This will endure after the project ends - anyone just joining will be able to do it on their own, making use of what came before.

Not my intent to take ANYTHING away from AK, for whom I proudly beat the drum - but this requires something I don't think AK is exactly set up for, and I am king computer geek - just not king electronics geek.

I want this thing to make it - and have everyone wanting to do similar things - more complex, more cool, more...everything. But let's get one simple thing done - drag some n00bs in and get them thoroughly addicted - then we can really have some fun.

ED/SQUID is building one, testing it an making sure it works, then sending it off to me to finalize.
(Bricktop is/will be doing some research/testing as well for us)

This is in the works and should be done in the not to distant future.

Just thought I should add that someone should probably volunteer to buy parts to build an amp first to make sure everything works well together and, if there is feedback, to get that setup correctly and stable as well. I'm not volunteering do it :D (I don't have the $ to spend on this now), but someone should...to be the guinea pig so to speak. :thmbsp: It should be someone with adequate test equipment (oscilloscope and signal generator mainly, maybe a variac).

I have two things in my favor there. Squidward, who is about to graciously volunteer to help me burn my fingers (hehehe, I hope anyway) and me, who has actually gotten somewhat ready to buy a buttload of parts recently.

However, we don't have a schematic yet, or a BOM, so we are getting ahead of ourselves. At the moment, I believe the discussion was past transformers, tubes, and then on to...kinda lost track there.

I'm trusting that with Kegger and Squidward and PacProtector and whomever else doing the eagle-eye thing, nothing will be ordered until we know it's going to work out, but just in case, I don't mind being the guinea pig. I'd hate to march ya'll into a swamp unless I'm seeing crocodiles first.

I have two things in my favor there. Squidward, who is about to graciously volunteer to help me burn my fingers (hehehe, I hope anyway) and me, who has actually gotten somewhat ready to buy a buttload of parts recently.

However, we don't have a schematic yet, or a BOM, so we are getting ahead of ourselves. At the moment, I believe the discussion was past transformers, tubes, and then on to...kinda lost track there.

I'm trusting that with Kegger and Squidward and PacProtector and whomever else doing the eagle-eye thing, nothing will be ordered until we know it's going to work out, but just in case, I don't mind being the guinea pig. I'd hate to march ya'll into a swamp unless I'm seeing crocodiles first.

Schematic is on the first page, with the date that it was updated on, :D

Schematic is on the first page, with the date that it was updated on, :D

You had to sneak that in, didn't you? Well, is it the blessed schematic we're building to, definitely? I thought we had some other things to decide on, like how to handle feedback and whether to use a tube rectifier instead of a toilet paper roll or something?

That is the updated schematic with the feedback implimented that the prototype
will be built to, power supply were not to concerened with at this point, when the
Mule is built we will finalize the power supply and voltages accordingly.

ED's going to whip up a prototype with parts on hand and we'll tweak the supply
to fit the needs of the project then complete a BOM.

LOL! Well we can't complete a BOM until we know what it is,:smoke:

We need to build one, test it, and see where everything shakes out and go from there.
What were looking at now could be different from the final result, rarely are there no tweaks.

LOL! Well we can't complete a BOM until we know what it is,:smoke:

We need to build one, test it, and see where everything shakes out and go from there.
What were looking at now could be different from the final result, rarely are there no tweaks.

I know, I know. I'm the same way with software. I don't want to write no stinking installation guide, I want to install it!

I'm learning the corporate way very slowly, my friend. The BoM is supposed to be flexible, you can fix it after. But it gives you an idea of what your budget is likely to be and how difficult it might be to source parts. You and Ed have boxes of everything just laying around, so probably doesn't apply to you.

Anyway, tell Squidward I want to be there before the soldering gun gets picked up, if it's ok with him for me to invite myself like that. I need to document (photograph and notes) for writeup in n00bish for people like me. If you guys can 'splain it to me so I can understand it, I can 'splain it to others.

Anyway gotta to go to bed now - have to drive to Milford in the morning.

Wiggy you don't need to be there for the prototype, (Although time permitting I'm sure Ed won't mind)
Once this prototype is done and that BOM is finalized then parts are bought, that would be the time
for you to document the build process, the prototype will be whipped up in no particular order to get
it done so it can be tested and ripped apart with other testing parts to finalize the build of the project.

Go get some rest, More to come tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom