The "$250" Amp? - 6LU8 Compactron SE, UL

So just leave pin 2 empty? and connect pin 8 to the ouput and the heater? I don't need to do anything else special?

EDIT: Ok, I just did this. Looks like this solved all of my problems. B+ is now 317v.

Alright, keep us posted.. ;)

Ok, got it all hooked up now. Still need a better preamp to use with my phono(maybe). I also recently picked up some Klipsch KSF-8.5, which are 94db/w/m that im using with this.

Couple of problems...
It seems to have transformed into a mono amp... only playing the left channel out of both speakers... no idea how this happened, but sounds like its just a stupid wiring error. I hoping this is also why it isn't very loud when playing it with a phono preamp.

Also, when the volume pot is at 40%-95% there is a very high pitched noise. 95%+ and its great. I'm guessing(hoping) these are part of the same problem.

UPDATE:
Found the problem and fixed it. C1 was not connected correctly in one spot. High pitched noise is gone and all is well.

Current setup is: Technics 1700 > Phono preamp > 6LU8 amp(Sylvania) > Klipsch KSF-8.5

Using this phono preamp: http://www.amazon.com/Turntable-Preamp-Preamplifier-Amplifirer-Control/dp/B004MIY372
but it still need more.. Sounds pretty good at full volume, but i would love to turn it up a little more.

Very impressed though. Sounds very clear. Going to try out these GE 6LU8's also.

Now I have another 5V4G i need to use :)

Last edited:
Your Phono Pre will not Give the Punch that this Amp Wants...The most Simple thing that You can Do is...Just get, or Make a CMoy HeadPhone Amp...Put one of These after your Phono Stage, and You'll have All the Volume that your Speakers can Take..
I ended up putting a Third 6DJ8 in my Phono Stage just for this Reason..
This is what I mean...I have Made & Used these for Years as Pre-Amps...And, there is a Ton of DIY on how to Make Them Better..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-Cmoy-...256?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccba673e8

Last edited:
Sorry if you've already mentioned it but what cartridge are you using on your Technics? I noticed these specs for your Phono pre

Phono Sensitivity: 3.3 mV. Nominal Output: 300 mV.

You might not even be getting that 300mV if your cart doesn't output at least 3.3 mV.
And 300mV isn't very much.

Using a ATS-12S, which is only 2.7mV.

I got one of those CMoy amps and I'm using a Pyle P999 phono now which is rated 3mV. It's plenty loud now. The CMoy makes it a little bassy, so I've been looking into some DIY headphone/pre amps to replace it.

The Fun Thing with a CMoy is that you can Roll the Chip, just like a Tube...There are so Many, with different Sonics that You can Pick and Choose the Sound that you're looking for...What do You have in It now?
And, I hope that your CMoy has an Alps on It...

Last edited:
All the links are on the first page in my post with the schematic..

Any questions just ask and I'm sure we can help you along the way.

Anybody see this? I think it's in Norwegian or something. But it looks like 4 6LU8's used in push-pull fashion daisy-chained to make 2x12.5 W and a nice looking square wave. I realize we're aiming for 2 tubes single-ended, but I just wondered if this helped at all.

http://www.veiset.net/6LU8/index.html

6lu8_amp_ii_r.gif

Note: Also, while poking around the web, I saw someone comment that he thought the power part of the 6LU8 was more like the 6W6, and someone else commented that the 6W6 was a very under-rated tube for stereo amps. Just thought I'd toss that in there. You guys can feel free to tear it apart if that's not true.

Well, after the Holidays...It will be Time for a Winter Project...So, how does Something like This Look to use Some of those Extra 6LU8's laying around? Any chance of Getting a Tad More Watts out of It? The More, the Better...

Well, after rummaging through All my 6LU8s...I have found the Best Sounding of Them All...If any of You Guys are Interested, Say So...Right now they're Playing, and they're Very Hot...I'll have to Pull Them to get a Good Shot...

Here You Go...Clear Top GEs, with 2 Horse Shoes...They sound Better than Those with just One Shoe...Or, the RCAs...
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Ge 6LU8 Dual.JPG
    Ge 6LU8 Dual.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 490
  • Ge 6LU8 Dual2.JPG
    Ge 6LU8 Dual2.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
Way cool,

I think I found the same thing about those GE's.
But I can't remember for sure, so another set of ears saying so is good. :thmbsp:

I've been listening to Xmas Music all Day on the FM with These...And, the 2 Shoes Really seem to have a Great Sound...For a SEUL amp, These have a Healthy Bass...And, Such a Sweet Top End...And, even...Maybe...A bit More Torque...

Last edited:
Picked up some klipsch quartets which are rated 97.5db and I no longer need a preamp with this amp. Sounds better than ever.

Also using the GE 2 shoes and clear tops, although I haven't compared them to anything else.

Hey Evan...Your Amp should Sound Really Sweet, and Impressive at 97.5db...Those GE's sound Real Nice on my Klipsch KG3's at 94db...

Last edited:
Have you compared the GEs to Magnavox manufactured by Westinghouse? It looks like we are all agreed about the RCAs. I didn't like them either.

Back
Top Bottom