The 400-C Returns!!

Man -- it does look great! And with a case, too. The case I have for mine is for some other piece from another brand. You just don't see the small cases for the 400C, but I would love to have one. I may have to investigate having one made. Your whole unit just looks gorgeous.

Congrats!

Dave

Thanks guys, surely appreciate it. And as I've mentioned, she absolutely sparkles!! That tingle at the top that is so muted in the receiver lines is intoxicating!!!

And speaking of cases, Although the case that this came with needed some attention, it was in very good shape when I got it. All it needed was a slight sand job and a refinish. But what I noticed was, unlike the cases for the bigger siblings, this case did not have the feet and was built to support what looks like three different units. The case and pre are supported by rubber feet bolted to the chassis. Frankly, I no like and will someday look into adding what I think is the more elegant detail.

Attachments

• DSCN2691.JPG
    DSCN2691.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN2530.JPG
    DSCN2530.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 52
I was finally able to attack the phono stage of this wonderful preamplifier and implement the changes outlined by Dave in his " The Fisher Phono Preamp, and RIAA" thread. For future reference:

The 2.2m resistors were replaced with 2.15m 1% metal films;

the 1800uf ceramics were replaced with 1300uf and 50uf 500v silver micas in parallel;

the 390pF ceramics were replaced with 350pF 50v polystyrenes;

and finally, the existing .02 El Mencos were replaced with .022 K40y-9 400v Russian PIO's.

These changes resulted in changing a competent but rather dull phono stage, to a stage that is vibrant and intoxicating.

Getting all the parts to fit was worth every hair pulling second!!!!

Phono Recap1 (1).JPG Phono Recap2.JPG

A tight fit to be sure -- but so glad you found it to be worthwhile! The other thing I have found that the modification does is to put a sharp focus on the sound between the two channels -- this primarily because the channels become so closely matched as a result.

Very nice work!

Dave

Hey folks!

I'm about to begin my own 400c journey.

Newbie.

Not, can you tell me the part number for what you used for the selenium rectifier replacement? I have a restored 400C that's making too much noise with my amps, so I'm going to perform DG's mods.

Check the Fisher forum sticky.
There is a bunch of very useful questions for your restore (including that)
Once you get in the woods, they'll be guidance available :thumbsup:
Enjoy your restore and your Fisher

Hey folks!

I'm about to begin my own 400c journey.

Newbie.

Not, can you tell me the part number for what you used for the selenium rectifier replacement? I have a restored 400C that's making too much noise with my amps, so I'm going to perform DG's mods.

My notes say NTE 5313 but I couldn't find it in any of my purchase orders. I either had it on hand or I picked it up from RS.

Good luck with your restore!!

LOL! I usually document all my purchases except those that are made on the fly. Since I didn't have a receipt and only a notation in my notes, I could only guess that I picked it up at RS. Since the store was closing I musta just given the guy the 50 cents or whatever the close-out sale price was and walked out the door. Anyway, @ 4A & 400v I don't think that NTE is gonna get sick.

Thanks guys! And thanks for providing the purchasing link. :rockon:

I haven't seen that sticky before. Helpful info!

I'll be starting my own thread soon...gonna need a lot of help, so bare with me. lol.

Back
Top Bottom