The 432HzBob Thread: For those that want to converse with 432HzBob...

Oh just working, playing music, strumming the guitar and fiddling with things here and there.
How bout you? Living good?
Glad everything with you is cool, Bob. Going pretty good with me too. Hoping you pop back in the thread soon!

Well, I smoked another woofer on my recapped Infinities 2 weeks ago.
Par for my course. UFO on vinyl tends to do that. But ONLY on vinyl does it happen. Think it something to do with needle rumble even though the subsonic filter on the C-50 does help some...
Anyway, blown woofers, I;'m used to it by now.
So bought some Kappa woofs off a set of Kappa 6.1's. Refoamed. Work great. And known to handle more power:thumbsup:
Question is,
Stock RS6b XO specs is 87uF for the woofer circuit crossed at 600Hz, which I installed a beefy Audyn cap to that spec when I rebuilt.
But the IMG Kappas come from a newer 6.1 3 way (similar to the RS6) with a bigger 140uF cap, crossed over at 500Hz.
Would it be better to bypass the 87 with additional caps to get to that 140uF the newer Kappa's had or leave the stock 87uF in there?
Does more capacitance egual more energy storage for the woofer for when the music demands it?
What do you think? I don;t mind tinkering.

PS, I tried several other woofers in these over time and realized bass is not the end all of what woofers do in a 3 way.
The stock Infinity poly drivers also take some of the weight off the polydome mids (which I got them for as much as the EMIT's).
The new Kappas, being of the IMG construct and foam surround, do a great job of carrying guitar tone, drums
and fast, dynamic information other than just the "thud-thud" of bass.
Arnie and the crew had a good thing going.
They sit right beside the Dynaco A-25's I pulled out of semi-retirement and both speakers are completely different animals in their own way.

Oh, one more bit of info you might need,
The XO coils on both RS6 and Kappa 6.1 circuits use a 4.0mH copper choke, so inductance is virtually identical

Well, I smoked another woofer on my recapped Infinities 2 weeks ago.
Par for my course. UFO on vinyl tends to do that. But ONLY on vinyl does it happen. Think it something to do with needle rumble even though the subsonic filter on the C-50 does help some...
Anyway, blown woofers, I;'m used to it by now.
So bought some Kappa woofs off a set of Kappa 6.1's. Refoamed. Work great. And known to handle more power:thumbsup:
Question is,
Stock RS6b XO specs is 87uF for the woofer circuit crossed at 600Hz, which I installed a beefy Audyn cap to that spec when I rebuilt.
But the IMG Kappas come from a newer 6.1 3 way (similar to the RS6) with a bigger 140uF cap, crossed over at 500Hz.
Would it be better to bypass the 87 with additional caps to get to that 140uF the newer Kappa's had or leave the stock 87uF in there?
Does more capacitance egual more energy storage for the woofer for when the music demands it?
What do you think? I don;t mind tinkering.
Since you are mixing components, might be worth experimenting. However, if I'm understanding, the woofer you have now was in a 3-way, but you are using it in a 2-way? A higher Fc (600Hz) in the 2-Way makes sense due to there is no separate mid.

I wrote these posts in early August on the thread, you might find them useful. Explains how changing values from a manufacturer default will effect SQ and the dangers of lowering the Fc on a high-pass filter on a tweeter.

Like you said, sounds like TT rumble took your woofers out (10Hz and below). Normally the subsonic filter should take care of this...

The referenced quote in this post talks about highpass, the body of the post, lowpass.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-now-and-more.278564/page-12871#post-11847857

Also, is the new woofer the same impedance as the old one? ...and is the Natural Resonance frequency the same?

Just checked the forum rules, and saw nothing preventing an online seance ... ;-}

432HzBob ... are you there?

06a9290deadfda9e0a162ae8dd068c92.gif

Impedence is the same, 4 Ohm (why I break things :rockon:)
Still in a 3 way. The Kappa 6.1 was an early 90's release just before Arnie left to start Celestion speakers.
It used a 8in woofer, 2in poly mid and round EMIT-R tweeter.
Virtually identical to the RS6's I have from the early 80's.
The Kappa's are just rated for higher power which I am maxe'd out on now.
Come to really like the Kenwood Basic M-1 (140wpc@4Ohm) and the clean sound its DLD "Sigma" feedback drive gives.
It is the 1st amp with these speakers I can literally turn all the way up, not the usual 12 oclock position where distortion can be heard, all the way up and she's still clean sounding.
Looking at replacing it with the Basic M-2's 240 @4OHM amp power.
I do believe even old Infinities would appreciate the extra headroom.

The resonant Fq I don;t know.
Since they are both stock drivers I can;t find any Thiel-Small parameters for them.

Do you like how it sounds now? I know you like to have fun, so can't hurt to tinker messing with a woofers Fc....

Back
Top Bottom