The 90's Playlist

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Into the Great Wide Open (1991)

2072.jpg

Great driving music. :music:

No Doubt - The Singles 1992–2003 (2003)

No-Doubt-The-Singles-1992-2003-cover.jpg

Ok, so this was released in '03 but of course contains mostly 90's material from a mostly 90's band.

Don't own any other from material them as I'm not a big fan of ska/punk, but I might have to try Tragic Kingdom again (haven't heard it in over a decade). I do like Gwen Stefani's voice though (among other things :naughty:).

I don't have pictures handy but off the top of my head...

Live - Secret Samadhi
Collective Soul - Collective Soul
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Powerman 5000 - whatever their first album was
White Zombie - their first album
Korn - Korn

And yea, I hear ya. Although being an adult does have it's advantages, like having your own place and not having anyone--well besides maybe your gf/wife--yelling at you to turn that noise down!

Damn! Yet another group I remember but never got into. I think you totally own me in the size of your 90's music collection!

Thats true, it is one of the best things! Can listen to what I want, when I want, and how loud I want (except when the gf is over lol).

I have more than a few cds. The used record store loves me! :D

Social Distortion - White Light, White Heat, White Trash (1996) :thmbsp:

Last edited:
No Doubt - The Singles 1992–2003 (2003)

No-Doubt-The-Singles-1992-2003-cover.jpg

Ok, so this was released in '03 but of course contains mostly 90's material from a mostly 90's band.

Don't own any other from material them as I'm not a big fan of ska/punk, but I might have to try Tragic Kingdom again (haven't heard it in over a decade). I do like Gwen Stefani's voice though (among other things :naughty:).

Like you, I was not a huge fan of the whole ska movement either, but I do like alot of No Doubt's stuff (and Gwen is definitely very . . . talented :D)

Another 90's band that I think only had 2 major label albums before breaking up that is in the ska/punk/rock vein that I really liked alot is the Urge. They had two really good 90's albums:

Receiving the Gift of Flavor (1996)

Master of Styles (1998)

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Into the Great Wide Open (1991)

2072.jpg

Great driving music. :music:
Thanks for starting the 90s thread. I'm looking to expand my musical horizon. I spent the '90s swing dancing to live music. I wasn't paying much attention to the new stuff.

PS: You relize that Tom Petty started out as a '70s rock-n-roller. And he was a key player in one of the greatest "fake" Rock-N-Roll bands ever, The Traveling Wilburys.

Last edited:
Color me jealous!

I just got the Pretty Hate Machine reissue. I am watching a copy of TDS on ebay but I can buy the reissue for less. That's a great EP.

Well judging by your avatar and signature I'm going to assume that you think I have the vinyl of this (for I don't know why someone would be jealous of the cheaper--I'm guessing--cd version).

I don't: I'm all about buying cd's, new and used, and ripping them to FLAC and using my computer as a server (very convenient, especially when I'm working on the same computer). I am, after all, a digital man. :D

Ahh... their magnum opus.

It is definitely one of their best. I'm still partial to the first release since it's one of the first cds I ever owned (i.e. one of the first dozen or so of full albums I ever heard). I have all their releases but can't get into the later stuff as much. Need to listen more though.

White Zombie - their first album

You beat me to that band! I was going to post their La Sexorcisto: Devil Music, Vol. 1 to see if anyone remembered it. It was huge when I was in high school (we used to drive around blasting Thunder Kiss '65 and other tracks lol) and now you only hear of Rob Zombie directing movies. Can't say I've listened to it in the past ten years...or more.

Thats true, it is one of the best things! Can listen to what I want, when I want, and how loud I want (except when the gf is over lol).

I have more than a few cds. The used record store loves me! :D

Yea, though I live with my gf she works all day so I have plenty of time to play music as loud as I want when working from home. I usually only listen to a medium/medium high volume though.

And I can play music that loud when she's home too, unless she just wants to relax with quiet. Then I've got headphones (which I also use when she is asleep) or lower volume levels.

But she actually likes more aggressive music then me actually (we share much of the same music tastes: Rush is her favorite band as it is mine--of course--for instance) so she'll actually listen to her cd's on our second system if I want to listen to more mellow stuff lol.

And the online used cd sellers love me! lol

Like you, I was not a huge fan of the whole ska movement either, but I do like alot of No Doubt's stuff (and Gwen is definitely very . . . talented :D)

Another 90's band that I think only had 2 major label albums before breaking up that is in the ska/punk/rock vein that I really liked alot is the Urge. They had two really good 90's albums:

Receiving the Gift of Flavor (1996)

Master of Styles (1998)

Oh yea, being a local St. Louis band people were crazy about them here. I never cared for them but about everyone else did (or at least pretended to in order to be popular). I remember some idiot telling me they were the greatest band ever and that I listened to "Dad rock" (classic rock) and that Rush in particular was washed up. Lol, the Urge is long gone and Rush is more popular than ever and still very productive/active after close to 40 years now (and their 2007 album is among my favorites).

Thanks for starting the 90s thread. I'm looking to expand my musical horizon. I spent the '90s swing dancing to live music. I wasn't paying much attention to the new stuff.

No problem, I'm glad there wasn't another one somewhere (I searched but didn't find any)...I can't believe this decade has been ignored for so long on here.

Like you I'm taking a look back at these years (as well as all decades of rock/pop) to see what I might have missed in the 20 years I've been listening to music. Thanks to other posters itt I already have a list or groups I have heard of but never got into and forgot about to take another look at.

PS: You relize that Tom Petty started out as a '70s rock-n-roller. And he was a key player in one of the greatest "fake" Rock-N-Roll bands ever, The Traveling Wilburys.

Of course! Classic rock has been my favorite genre for about 20 years now. :yes: I never really got into Petty's older stuff however. I kind of like select albums of his starting with Full Moon Fever. I do need to take another look at his older material though, but I just never cared that much for what I have heard from it.

The Cranberries - Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? (1993)

b_9685_Cranberries__The-Everybody_Else_Is_Doing_It__So_Why_Can_T_We_-1992.jpg

Finishing this one up now.

Metallica - S/T (The Black Album) (1991)

Metallica.jpg

Here's another album that was ridiculously popular at my high school. Though that was part of it's problem: the "true" metal heads thought it was a decline in quality (they sold out and made a bunch of pop metal songs! was their cynical cry/lament) compared to the earlier Metallica offerings (I think they were just offended that the "preppies", and about everyone else, were embracing "their" beloved band).

I would agree that it isn't as good as earlier Metallica offerings (though it competes with Kill 'Em All imo: that album can be too raw/unsophisticated at times in comparison, and yes I like much early 80's metal as is evidenced by my posts in the metal thread of such material), but it still contains many killer tracks even if it drags at times and some lyrics are corny.

It was my first intro to Metallica in any case (and one of the first cd's/full albums I owned and listened to over and over), and I quickly bought up their back catalogue and they became (and remain) one of my favorite bands because of it. I also think it is their last worthwhile release to date, but I know this opinion is not shared by all.

The other day after we closed up the restaurant I work at we cranked up Weezer's Blue Album. All 20 or so employees (mostly late 20's early 30's) knew every single word to every single song.

Metallica.jpg

Here's another album that was ridiculously popular at my high school. Though that was part of it's problem: the "true" metal heads thought it was a decline in quality (they sold out and made a bunch of pop metal songs! was their cynical cry/lament) compared to the earlier Metallica offerings (I think they were just offended that the "preppies", and about everyone else, were embracing "their" beloved band).

I would agree that it isn't as good as earlier Metallica offerings (though it competes with Kill 'Em All imo: that album can be too raw/unsophisticated at times in comparison, and yes I like much early 80's metal as is evidenced by my posts in the metal thread of such material), but it still contains many killer tracks even if it drags at times and some lyrics are corny.

It was my first intro to Metallica in any case (and one of the first cd's/full albums I owned and listened to over and over), and I quickly bought up their back catalogue and they became (and remain) one of my favorite bands because of it. I also think it is their last worthwhile release to date, but I know this opinion is not shared by all.

It was that way at my school too. I liked the black album, but not as well as their previous ones. I do remember how everyone was into it once it came out and they started making videos.

I am up and about to reluctantly go out into the -10 degree temperatures here :sigh:, but I am starting off my morning with:

Garbage - Version 2.0 (1998)

Metallica.jpg

Funny, this was also my first foray into Metallica. I had a metalhead friend in high school into all kinds of crazy stuff. Great album, but not as good as some of the older stuff. For what it's worth, I kinda like Load and Reload. I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Well judging by your avatar and signature I'm going to assume that you think I have the vinyl of this (for I don't know why someone would be jealous of the cheaper--I'm guessing--cd version).

I don't: I'm all about buying cd's, new and used, and ripping them to FLAC and using my computer as a server (very convenient, especially when I'm working on the same computer). I am, after all, a digital man. :D

I'm not snobbish about the wax. Heck, most of the stuff I listen to is on a thumb drive in my car as either mp3 or WMA. When I work from home or the kids are not running around, I like the vinyl. I do have most of the NIN works. He lost me after the album with "Starf*ckers, Inc." I have some bootlegs from his last tour that were actually quite good, so it's my loss.

Perhaps you could recommend a good flac player? Sometimes when I buy LPs or bootlegs from Pearl Jam they are in flac format. I have a program that is supposed to be able to convert them to other formats, but it never works. I'm a nimrod when it comes to digital formats. I usually just take my CDs, rip them as WMA, and slap them on my thumb drive.

It is definitely one of their best. I'm still partial to the first release since it's one of the first cds I ever owned (i.e. one of the first dozen or so of full albums I ever heard). I have all their releases but can't get into the later stuff as much. Need to listen more though.

I would say it is their best across the entire album. It's not my favorite. I like the more varied No Code, and place Yield slightly above Vs. This is strictly talking about albums from the 90's.

You beat me to that band! I was going to post their La Sexorcisto: Devil Music, Vol. 1 to see if anyone remembered it. It was huge when I was in high school (we used to drive around blasting Thunder Kiss '65 and other tracks lol) and now you only hear of Rob Zombie directing movies. Can't say I've listened to it in the past ten years...or more.

I couldn't remember the title of the album, but I loved it when it came out. I always liked Black Sunshine. I also like Rob's first few solo works.

I cannot believe I forgot STP in my previous post. Core, Purple, and Tiny Music. I actually saw them live at the Borgata in AC back in October. Forgot how good they can be.

It was that way at my school too. I liked the black album, but not as well as their previous ones. I do remember how everyone was into it once it came out and they started making videos.

Yea, the vids certainly increased it's popularity. It was a good way to get into Metallica (and the metal genre if you hadn't heard much of it before) because it was accessible.

Garbage - Version 2.0 (1998)

I was about to listen to that! I listened to the first one not too long ago. Not a huge fan, I actually only recently bought those albums.

Funny, this was also my first foray into Metallica. I had a metalhead friend in high school into all kinds of crazy stuff. Great album, but not as good as some of the older stuff. For what it's worth, I kinda like Load and Reload. I'm not ashamed to admit it.

As I said above, good place to start. I like some songs on Load and Reload as well as the later two albums that came out in the 2000's, but on a whole I don't like the albums. Jmo, and I agree that one should never be ashamed to admit what they like or don't like. :thmbsp:

I'm not snobbish about the wax. Heck, most of the stuff I listen to is on a thumb drive in my car as either mp3 or WMA. When I work from home or the kids are not running around, I like the vinyl. I do have most of the NIN works. He lost me after the album with "Starf*ckers, Inc." I have some bootlegs from his last tour that were actually quite good, so it's my loss.

No, I didn't mean that you were being so, and I'm not snooty about being all digital either (it's all about what you prefer), I just wanted to make it clear that I didn't have the vinyl of that record and don't play vinyl (I have about 2 dozen albums I bought merely for the cover art: guess from what band! :D). Thus, no need to be jealous of me as I just bought the cd used and ripped it to FLAC.

I was never a huge fan of NIN and only have that EP as well as TDS actually. Another band I need to look into more.

Perhaps you could recommend a good flac player? Sometimes when I buy LPs or bootlegs from Pearl Jam they are in flac format. I have a program that is supposed to be able to convert them to other formats, but it never works. I'm a nimrod when it comes to digital formats. I usually just take my CDs, rip them as WMA, and slap them on my thumb drive.

Ok, first, what program do you use to convert? I did buy a pay one to convert my FLAC rips to the Ogg format for my gf (for use on her Sansa Fuze DAP or laptop), but I've heard that dbpoweramp (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/), which is free, converts formats well.

And second, do you mean a portable music player (DAP: Digital Audio Player) or something to use on your computer that will play various digital music formats (including lossless/FLAC)? For a DAP I would go with something from Cowon (great sound from these players) or for cheaper something from Sansa. You can check out what I (and my gf) use in my portable gear album (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/album.php?albumid=1013) and read up on lots of options for DAP's (besides Apple which I don't think represent a very good cost to performance ratio) here:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/

If you meant a player on your computer, you can use foobar2000, Winamp, Mediamonkey, or jriver to name a few (and some of these can convert digital files too but I haven't used them for this). Some claim they differ in SQ but I think that's nonsense and go with ease of use/looks myself. All that matters is you set them up properly on Windows (that gets complicated and I've only done it a couple of times so I don't remember how to do it--and it varies on different Windows, or Mac, systems--but someone on here would for your system).

I would say it is their best across the entire album. It's not my favorite. I like the more varied No Code, and place Yield slightly above Vs. This is strictly talking about albums from the 90's.

I would put the first one in that category. Not a bad track. Another "epic" release from my freshman high school year. I lost track of them after No Code (many used to call it "No Good" haha) and have only recently gotten the rest of their albums.

I couldn't remember the title of the album, but I loved it when it came out. I always liked Black Sunshine. I also like Rob's first few solo works.

Me too, it was so fun! I haven't heard anything from them before or after though, much less Rob's later works.

I cannot believe I forgot STP in my previous post. Core, Purple, and Tiny Music. I actually saw them live at the Borgata in AC back in October. Forgot how good they can be.

Oh yea, great stuff. I'm surprised no one has posted Nirvana (obligatory) itt yet.

Fiona Apple - When The Pawn (1999)

Fiona_apple_when_the_pawn.jpg

Just finishing this up. Not as good as her first imo, but still pretty good.

PW:

First, thanks for the suggestions on flac players. It'd mostly be for my computer, since some of the stuff I DL (concert boots, etc) is in flac format. I also like that newer LPs come with digital downloads, and sometimes they are flac, sometimes they are aiff, etc.

The converter I used was called Switch Sound Converter. I needed to convert some aiff files (from a Gaslight Anthem DL) to WMA or mp3 to use in my car. It converted them to WMA, but my car stereo won't decode them, despite them playing in Media Player on the laptop. I did put them into my itunes library and then burn them to CD then rip that to the thumb drive. Sounds OK, but what a convoluted process.

I keep wanting to get a new digital audio player (I won't call it an iPod), but I don't really need it. I know a 2G iPod shuffle is only maybe $50. I only use it at the gym. Cannot really justify it, and my Android has 16G of space anyway. I figure if I'm listening to something that small, I cannot be too picky about the sound quality, especially with the ear buds.

On an unrelated note, that Fiona Apple video for that song Criminal is super sexy. I can remember thinking about that on more than a few occasions. :D

I don't have a picture, but I remember enjoying Tori Amos' Boys For Pele. Next time I'm in the attic I may have to see if I still have it. Also, the Singles Soundtrack has some amazing tunes on it! Granted I think a few of them are late 80s and there's a Hendrix song on there. But technically that album came out in the 90s. And let's not forget Alice In Chains. Their MTV unplugged (yes, MTV did at one time play music) performance is possibly their best release.

Although it is heavier than some of the albums I have mentioned thusfar, this is the album that I listened to the most in the early 1990's:

Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power (1992)

PW:

First, thanks for the suggestions on flac players. It'd mostly be for my computer, since some of the stuff I DL (concert boots, etc) is in flac format. I also like that newer LPs come with digital downloads, and sometimes they are flac, sometimes they are aiff, etc.

The converter I used was called Switch Sound Converter. I needed to convert some aiff files (from a Gaslight Anthem DL) to WMA or mp3 to use in my car. It converted them to WMA, but my car stereo won't decode them, despite them playing in Media Player on the laptop. I did put them into my itunes library and then burn them to CD then rip that to the thumb drive. Sounds OK, but what a convoluted process.

No problem, I think most any player will play FLAC (or about any other file) if you have the right codec/plugin.

I have no idea why your car stereo won't play your files. I hook up my Cowon DAP to mine via a line out and it plays them fine. I also use cd's in my car. You would need to ask this question in the car audio forum, but I'm pretty sure you can't access that forum since you are not a subscriber. The next best would be the Digital Formats & Music Server Forum I guess. Hopefully someone can help you there.

I keep wanting to get a new digital audio player (I won't call it an iPod), but I don't really need it. I know a 2G iPod shuffle is only maybe $50. I only use it at the gym. Cannot really justify it, and my Android has 16G of space anyway. I figure if I'm listening to something that small, I cannot be too picky about the sound quality, especially with the ear buds.

Oh no man, don't apologize for your iPod (or do you mean you don't have one but only use your phone? sorry if I misread), if anything I will apologize! I had no idea you had one and wouldn't have put them down if I had known...sorry.

I just personally don't like them very much and thus have looked elsewhere for my DAP needs. I do like to get as good of sound as possible in any device/format for what I am willing to pay, so I found out about Cowon (and Sansa) and have used those so far for my portable needs. There are plenty of other DAP's that sound good, including some high end ones that sell for $800 or so. Fwiw I think you can get good/very good (but maybe not great) sound out of those little players with the proper IEM's (some of which cost hundreds: I actually now have one that still lists for over $200 on some sites; I got it for $90) or portable headphones. Spend about $100 for a DAP and some good but cheap IEM's (or cheap portable OTE headphones) and you've got a lot of sound in your pocket! :music:

For the price of an 2 gig iPod Shuffle you can get this nifty little player with 8 gigs and a screen and imo better SQ (I compared a friend's side by side with his iPod shuffle which he later sold):

http://www.sandisk.com/products/sansa-music-and-video-players/sandisk-sansa-clip-mp3-players.aspx

Or even my Sansa Fuze is going for about $60 these days (I got it for $80 awhile back) in 8 gig and it sounds even better (and has a bigger screen) than the clip imo:

http://www.sandisk.com/products/sansa-music-and-video-players/sandisk-sansa-fuze

Just something you might want to look at if you do decide to try a different DAP.

On an unrelated note, that Fiona Apple video for that song Criminal is super sexy. I can remember thinking about that on more than a few occasions. :D

I remember that video and I actually just watched it on YouTube. It actually kind of disturbs me: she is wayyy too skinny for my tastes (though pretty) and it looks like she is practically hostage in a basement addicted to drugs and doing whatever to get them, iow: looks like a cracked out teen drug addict/prostitute. Maybe it just gets to me because I seen teen drug addicts irl (I do volunteer work at a rehab clinic from time to time) and it's infinitely sad. Jmo, not trying to preach here or anything.

I don't have a picture, but I remember enjoying Tori Amos' Boys For Pele. Next time I'm in the attic I may have to see if I still have it. Also, the Singles Soundtrack has some amazing tunes on it! Granted I think a few of them are late 80s and there's a Hendrix song on there. But technically that album came out in the 90s. And let's not forget Alice In Chains. Their MTV unplugged (yes, MTV did at one time play music) performance is possibly their best release.

I've got some Tori to play sooner or later, and I enjoy all of AIC's output (including their latest one). :yes:

Just so you know, this is a thread about what you are listening to now, not just a list of all the 90's music you can think of or enjoy/ed. Usually there isn't so much chatter in these threads so that may have mislead you, but I don't mind commenting on the music if I've got time.

As for pictures, just google the album you're listening to online, find a picture, and post it. All my pictures are this. Of course we'd all appreciate any pics you take of your vinyl albums as well. :yes:

Although it is heavier than some of the albums I have mentioned thusfar, this is the album that I listened to the most in the early 1990's:

Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power (1992)

Oh man do I remember that one! Again, pretty popular in high school. I actually sold it back years ago as I just never listened to it anymore. Might have to give it another chance!

Now playing:

Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears (1991)

oonm.jpg

Another good album from '91 and the one that really got me into Black Sabbath actually. I went straight to their stuff after finding out about Ozzy and his musical history and skipped his solo stuff back then (hey, I was a teen and cd's were expensive back then and I always liked classic rock the best). I only recently actually got all of his solo stuff actually, including this one. I remember the vids for Mama and No More Tears (one of my favorite Ozzy songs) though.

Back
Top Bottom