THE ADDICTION CONTINUES

Xtro1

Just added a SC-5330 to the Sansui collection. I'm always a bit worried when buying from overseas but when I opened it up to change the voltage selector it was shiny clean inside. Couldn't be happier and I'm a bit surprised with how good a cassette tape sounds. Probably wont use it that often but the Sansui stack is nearly complete. Still after a TU-X1 at the right price.
My stack now includes Sansui SR-929, BA-F1, CA-F1, SC-5330 & SE-7. Running a TU 717 as a tuner but really after that period correct TU-X1.

Attachments

• SC-5330.jpeg
    SC-5330.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 54
  • SC-5330 Voltage.jpeg
    SC-5330 Voltage.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 52
The 5330 is a very nice deck, I have a SC-5300, the silver face version of the same model so I'm familiar with it. Regrettably, I almost never use cassettes any longer but if you do, it is amongst the best decks Sansui made, and the fact it matches the rest of your gear is a nice detail.

The 5330 is also a rather rare one to see. A little tip, if you want rack handles for it, they are tough to find as they are unique only to the 5330 and BA-F1 ppwer amp which are the two tallest rack mountable models Sansui ever made.

Oh and the notion that a Sansui stack is ever complete is wishful thinking. After 22 years from the day I brought home my first big Sansui, I'm still collecting.

I know where you're coming from with the never ending stack Sansuiman! In regard to the rack handles my BA-F1 has them so I realised they were the same required for the SC5330 when I put them near each other. Fingers crossed some pop up somewhere as I haven't seen them for sale before. I think they are around 7 inches. I also need the rack mount for my CA-F1 pre so on the lookout for those rarities as well.

A set of rack handles may be scored on *that* auction site every once in a great while. Have to be very diligent in checking daily - or very nearly so - to find and have a chance of snagging them if they do come across the radar.

I've never seen a set of rack ears for a CA-F1 for sale on their own, but the pre itself is an exceedingly rare piece from my watching various forums where vintage gear is traded and sold for over 20 years now. I'd think those ears could be machined (if you have connections) without a terrible effort, unlike the big rack handles.

I have a BA-F1, and when I first got it it lacked rack handles. I (foolishly) thought it was the same size, 4U, as an AU-919, which I also own two of. No dice. Took two years and change to find a pair of handles for it. Actually came from a SC-5330 that had been parted (not my doing, and don't know why the previous owner of said deck chopped it, but oh well) so I struck while the iron was hot.

Anyway, it is easy in this hobby to get carried away badly as there is so much killer kit to be had. I most certainly have, and am now at a point where I'm considering thinning the collection a bit. But, deciding what to get rid of is much more difficult than choosing what to add.

I have duplicates (in some cases multiples) of my most coveted gear. Far more than could ever be needed, but bristle at the thought of not having backups for the "most essential" stuff. Admittedly an irrational attachment to some of my gear, but so be it.

Back
Top Bottom