The after is worst than the before

Larry

Having just taken apart my Pioneer 1010 - was old and dusty. Blew out the dust, sprayed the controls, and now the sound is weak, and the balance control provides no balance. Tried one speaker hooked up, and the the speaker played regardless of where the balance control was. Obviously, I did something, but not sure what. A simple fix? Before I pass this on to a more qualified tech, thought I'd take a chance on the forum - my wife would be impressed if I can fix it.
Thanks
Larry
]

Tell us what you sprayed it out with...

...as it may have left a residue which is now acting as an electrical insulator. Try spraying again, and then blow the pots out with air. Tell us what happens then.

Laz

I used Deoxit...but used a can of compressed air to blow out the dust. When I hook up one speaker - it continues to play regardless of where the balance control is set. I didn't have this problem before cleaning. I looked at all solder joints and saw nothing out of whack.
Larry

Seems to me that you done got the fungus amongus in one of the pots. Clean, clean, and re-clean. Try using something else to blow it dry as the canned air you used may have some funky stuff in it like oil or something conductive or even non-conductive.

Anthony

She sings now...another cleaning, used more compressed air, and a brush - no noise no scratchiness, and all works. I was using a Mac1900 as a sub for the 1010. I love the Mac, but I got to tell you that the depth of the 1010 plus the extra power makes a difference. Glad to have her back.
Larry

Mac 'n Pioneer

Glad to hear that another piece was brought back from the edge. I too have a MAC1900 and an SX1010. I don't seem to be torn between them though. The MAC is still my first choice. What kind of speakers are you using? Klipsch RF 3II's for me.

Thanks for the encouragement, it took a lot of cleaning to get this baby back up to snuff. I take turns using my 1010 my Mac 1900 and a Sansui 8080 - sometimes using a Mac4100. The speakers I run with these I also interchange - DCM Time Windows, Large Advents, or Vandersteen 1c's. Of them all the Mac4100 matched with the Vandersteen's is the best. The 1010 with the Vandersteens' is second - but I love the nostalgia of the Mac1900 and the DCM Time Windows. Anyway, I have fun and enjoyment just moving the stuff around.
Larry

Anyway, I have fun and enjoyment just moving the stuff around.
Larry[/QUOTE]

Me too. I love tinkering with different combos just to see what the results will be. Besides, it's a good excuse to transition different gear into the mix and put them to use rahter than sitting there looking pretty!

Back
Top Bottom