The age old question....

D-Zyne

I'm a newbie to the group so I hope I'm in the right area (I know this may be more of a Pro-Audio question). I'm hoping I can get as many weigh-ins on this ancient question as possible before I make any expensive mistakes.....

I am a musician that has had absolutely horrible luck with Windows-based home studios. Judging from the Windows-heavy selection of audio software I see available, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only one that has come to hate the PC and I am likely to venture into the Mac world. My last Windows setup (which is currently sitting by the curb for trash) wasn't the most up-to-date (Windows 98 running on a Gateway 500MHz Pentium) but the number of system crashes I was having was simply unreal...and I'm not even talking about true digital audio! This was happening with MIDI, mp3's, you name it....

So what's the deal peoples.....how many Mac-o-philes are out there?

:uzi: PC

Considering this group and our general preference for analog, you better watch yourself or you may end up with a beautiful Tascam RTR rather then having all your hard work end up as ones and zero's.

Ask Vintage TX what he thinks. :D

Turtable & tape threads 556
New tech & Digital threads 131

Either way welcome and let us know what you decide to work with.

How often do I hear this...

"the number of system crashes is unreal" Sadly this can be all to true with 98se unless you have it configured right. Some say, "use XP use XP"! Well thats all in well if you want to upgrade all of your other equipment because XP won't support it, or the drivers are available "at a cost". Gateway PC? Likely one of your problems. I wouldn't own a PC that I didn't have custom built. I run 98se and do all sorts of things on it without a hitch or crash but I am sure before to long I will be forced to make a change as the memory use is limited.

Like you I am completely unimpressed with Mr. Gates and his CRAP. What a con game that man has running on society. I hear that Mac is really doing well these days. While I don't have an answer for you I think that looking in the Mac direction might be worth your while. Hopefully others may chime in here with more constructive help. Good luck to you now! :)

Oh and don't let all the analog guys scare you away. Many here listen to Ceedees too. Hey, we even have one here that really likes MP3's. Figure that one out will ya!? :D

If you're looking to upgrade hardware on the cheap try www.newegg.com.

XP isn't as stable as everyone would have you think. Especially if you are doing anything graphic or audio intensive.

win 98SE can be made stable and crash free but it takes a LOT of work tweaking settings and installing the right driver combinations along with the right decoders and encoders. (for the Vintage guys that's sorta like an A/D converter) :confused:

One of the best solutions for anything Microsoft is RAM.
The more RAM you have the better it all runs.

As for Studio apps..... never did much but play with them to see how they work. I'd suggest looking for links off of a site like www.tweakxp.com. Even ask some of the guys there. They all do high end gaming, graphics and audio with their PC's.

Good luck -

Back
Top Bottom