The agony of changing cables

At work in the morning when it's still dark out, hands-free lighting that clips onto the brim of my hat works great.

So great that I keep a separate hat at home in the stereo room with the same hands free lighting clipped to it just like at work. When I have to get behind my gear, on go the cheaters and the hat.

Hands free lighting is the only way to go when dealing with my equipment.:thumbsup:

Yes, I concur Sir.

Since I don`t wear hats, mine is a miners style tri-strap head band type, which is essential for me, as I can only use one hand, due to left side hemi paresis(partially paralyzed)..

Yep, and there it is. But much better, you're to be commended.
And it all works all the time you say?

I guess you are referring to me, quiet ??

Yes, believe it or not, my living room HT rack `s total equipment, with the exception of separating the glue of one of my Mac. XRT-30`s woofers during an exceptionally loud BluRay movie explosion, and recently replacing my Sony digital 4K projector`s lamp after around 3,000 hours, has be failure free.
Now when my house keeper is helping me do some work, on that rack, she has misconnected cables, but that is and has been easily fixed, and not to be really called an equipment failure...
I can fix most of all the gear I own, but do not wish to have to do so, so I do my best to make it happy and protect it from high temperature`s, and surges/spikes..

All good, it just looks like some of my guys work before I make them redo it :whip::D

Ok guys, especially you GChief, I have to confess, these pictures are from a major upgrade & rework around six years ago !!

And I`m anal too, the cabling now looks a whole lot neater & organized and is currently under even better cable rework at this time, after my assistant finishes all the interconnect labeling, so she can with my guidance wire it back up nice and neat so that something will fail. and I get to test 5 rooms A/V functionality that are fed by the rack after each cable neatness rework session.
It has to remain somewhat operational during this, with my OPPO Bluray player, 3 security camera system`s, and my distributed all day digital music being very important..

Sorry about any shock factor I might have caused..

Kind regards, OKB

Oh don’t let my bluster sway you. I could care less how people have the stuff and mine has looked like that many a month/years? I usually leave it for at least a week or some before I button it back up. Sometimes that may trun into a long time :rolleyes:

:beerchug:

Edit: The main part of the runs almost never get messed with. Just the ends most of the time on the down sized set up.

Ok guys, especially you GChief, I have to confess, these pictures are from a major upgrade & rework around six years ago !!

And I`m anal too, the cabling now looks a whole lot neater & organized and is currently under even better cable rework at this time, after my assistant finishes all the interconnect labeling, so she can with my guidance wire it back up nice and neat so that something will fail. and I get to test 5 rooms A/V functionality that are fed by the rack after each cable neatness rework session.
It has to remain somewhat operational during this, with my OPPO Bluray player, 3 security camera system`s, and my distributed all day digital music being very important..

Kind regards, OKB
You Jester you!!!,
Thanks for the laughs. We'll survive.

Kind regards, OKB[/QUOTE
Thank your Sir, for the like,and understanding my whimsical humor, and not be offended by your sensibilities..

My main system is simple enough that I can swap ICs in about 5 minutes. Same with the speaker cables. I like to experiment so I make it easy on myself.

Did you use rubber or plastic wheels?
What is the estimated weight?
Does it roll well?

I have the VTI racks (BL304 iirc) and they came with the little sharp points and steel cups for feet. Great for vibration resistance, but quite poor for any kind of sliding/moving operation. So years later I looked into it and found out they make excellent locking casters with what looks to be urethane coated metal wheels. They are extremely high quality and they make moving ~200lbs of rack a breeze. Kinda wished I'd thought of looking for them a LOT sooner.

jblnut

I have the VTI racks (BL304 iirc) and they came with the little sharp points and steel cups for feet. Great for vibration resistance, but quite poor for any kind of sliding/moving operation. So years later I looked into it and found out they make excellent locking casters with what looks to be urethane coated metal wheels. They are extremely high quality and they make moving ~200lbs of rack a breeze. Kinda wished I'd thought of looking for them a LOT sooner.

jblnut
Thank you. I just put 10 hard rubber wheels under a 1200 pound unit. It works but not good enough to dance with. Think I'll try urethane/metal or plastic on the next reload.

I use a lighted headband magnifier. I've had an optivisor for years, but wanted something with a light. I now have two of these. Don't bother with the really cheap units without removable lenses, most I've tried are barely usable because of lens quality. I've got two of these, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. I like that the lenses flip up and allow you to work with just the light, or you can flip up the whole assembly. Makes seeing poorly lighted areas with small printing while twisting and bending to fit tight places where cable placement is important.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Velleman-V...695778?hash=item3b025ca262:g:4C4AAOSwjmFajd7N

s-l500.jpg

I have several of those headlamps, they're great for all kinds of stuff. I always get the ones with regular AAA batteries rather than the button type. Much cheaper to replace. Actually I got some high quality rechargeables , that's the ticket. They last a looong time with those LEDs.

Is it just me, or is a simple cable change a big PITA deal for you?
Well, the HT is a bit of a snarl (Mr. Ferris has me soundly beaten!) given five signal channels using analog processor to power amp interconnects along with lots of power cords all focused in back attached to one conditioner and outlet. Also have a VTI rack on teflon feet that make sliding it forward easy to make changes.

behind_ht.jpg

The audio system, however, is much simpler and easier to access. All cables are separated in a 3D space.

system_rear.jpg

Speaker connections are outside of rack with mono amps situated on floor using maple stands. Cables are stiff and hold their shape so I give them a gentle bend.

traps2013-2.jpg

Well, the HT is a bit of a snarl (Mr. Ferris has me soundly beaten!) given five signal channels using analog processor to power amp interconnects along with lots of power cords all focused in back attached to one conditioner and outlet. Also have a VTI rack on teflon feet that make sliding it forward easy to make changes.

behind_ht.jpg

The audio system, however, is much simpler and easier to access. All cables are separated in a 3D space.

system_rear.jpg

Speaker connections are outside of rack with mono amps situated on floor using maple stands. Cables are stiff and hold their shape so I give them a gentle bend.

traps2013-2.jpg
No competition intended Sir
You have a very clean, open and organized setup..

Back
Top Bottom