The Altec Lansing 315 is a damn good speaker

Roadrash

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've been listening to my Allison Twos for about six months now. Since I swapped the 315s out of the living room system for the Allisons, I've replaced the Citation 22, P306RS combo that was driving them with a Citation 16, Kenwood C2 combo. Yesterday I decided to get the Altecs out and hook them up with the new setup. Now I remember why I've held onto these speakers for so long. They are really, really good. They're like the Rodney Dangerfield of Altecs,(they get no respect) but if you've never heard a pair you shouldn't just automatically dismiss them because Sparkomatic owned the company when they were made. They really like the big power, and excellent woofer control that the big Citation offers, and I found myself just completely floored yesterday when I let the rig eat. Huge open soundstage, big clean bass, lush mids, and sparkling highs. Looks like the Allisons are going to get a re cap, and ferro fluid change because they pretty much got smoked in comparison. The 315s have more of a West Coast sound, but I'm pretty sure the Allisons aren't up to snuff. Anyway, if you ever get a chance to pick up a pair of 301, 305, or 315s in good shape, do it. The ones I've seen for sale are cheap, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Please excuse the background. The house is in the middle of a rehab, and the baseboards got pulled to re do the floors. Lol

Attachments

• KIMG1048-1.jpg
    KIMG1048-1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 85
I have to update this thread. Since I originally posted this I found out a few things. First of all the tweeters in the Allisons are not ferro fluid damped, secondly they were not up to snuff but it was just some easily corrected bad connections. I've since upgraded to a Kenwood L-09M, L-07Cll combo and the Allisons love that big power. I still swap the Altecs in every once in awhile just to keep them limbered up until I get them set up in a 3rd system with the Citation 16, C2 combo permanently. The room for them should be done next week. The 315s still sound great, and I still think they are a very underrated speaker.

No doubt. That was an excellent series of speaker. About that same time (1989-1990), Altec offered a MASSIVE 6 1/2" coaxial car speaker with a carbon fiber woofer. I've still not heard a better sounding coax. They were the cat's meow.

Back
Top Bottom