The anticipation is killing me

Soundork

In a bad way.

After much agony, I pulled the trigger on a U Turn Orbit Custom. Unfortunately it was after I got a message that my order has been shipped, when I looked at this page:

https://uturnaudio.com/pages/turntables

Pay attention to the plates in the two "animations". I have never seen a plate wobble this much.

It is going to be very interesting if the one thats coming to my home wobbles. Blissfully anticipating...

Best

I see a little in the platter, have seen worse. Notice the record is much worse.

Don't worry about it and just enjoy listening.

I wouldn't worry about it, I have seen much, much more expensive TT on YouTube that move that much. put a sharpie mark on the low side somewhere discrete and match with a high side on the record. lol

In a bad way.

After much agony, I pulled the trigger on a U Turn Orbit Custom. Unfortunately it was after I got a message that my order has been shipped, when I looked at this page:

Pay attention to the plates in the two "animations". I have never seen a plate wobble this much.

It is going to be very interesting if the one thats coming to my home wobbles. Blissfully anticipating...

Best

That is not bad at all.

Who knows you may get a good one, go to church on Sunday! The darn thing just has to go around at 33.3333 RPM and not make any noise. As you move to a better cartridge, arm/cartridge mating becomes more critical. For your sake we are all hoping that it will sound great.

EDIT.

Last edited:
In a bad way.

Best

You may see the wobble, but you will never hear it.

It came. It is not wobbling, but the platter is "Wavy".

Also, I dont think that the "internal anti skating" feature works well, because most of the times tonight when I dropped the needle (I bought the cue lever) at the beginning of the record and it skips a few grooves.

I like the turntable, but these two issues need to be resolved. And for real, how difficult is it to make a plate that either isnt crooked or wobbly?

It came. It is not wobbling, but the platter is "Wavy".

Also, I dont think that the "internal anti skating" feature works well, because most of the times tonight when I dropped the needle (I bought the cue lever) at the beginning of the record and it skips a few grooves.

I like the turntable, but these two issues need to be resolved. And for real, how difficult is it to make a plate that either isnt crooked or wobbly?
bummer:(

. . . I like the turntable, but these two issues need to be resolved.
It will be interesting to hear what resolution, if any, will be available. Cueing records by hand should solve the skipping issue at the beginning of a record; I've always cued my manual turntables by hand, using the lever as a "pause" control and to help get the stylus off the record at the end of a side.

I don't know that the anti-skate is causing the issue, but I do find this trend toward non-adjustable anti-skate rather strange. Rega has done that with their latest lower-end models, too (the Planar 1 and Planar 2). I often find myself preferring a lower anti-skate setting than recommended on the scale, and I don't mind forgoing anti-skate altogether. A non-adjustable anti-skate, unless it's set really low (which yours might be), would have me looking at different options.

Huh, no wobble with my custom. So far after a few months its still quiet and ive checked the speed several times and haven't found any loss in consistency. It runs just a hair fast without playing a record and so far dead on when playing a record. For the price I only have two complaints. The cover hinges could be better and the cue lever could be better made.

I doubt the anti-skate or lack of it is causing the cartridge to skip a few grooves, more likely when the OP "dropped the needle" he was doing it too quickly and this caused the bouncing. As for the platter not wobbling, it's wavy now, the OP might be observing a not perfectly flat record, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Far as I can see no resolution warranted, table is running as designed/intended.

I tend to agree with majick47, particularly as U-turn says, "Prior to shipping, each turntable goes through comprehensive listening, wow & flutter, and rumble tests, as well as a 15-point performance evaluation." Unless something was damaged in shipping, it seems probable that your turntable is performing within the manufacturer's design goals. That's why I mentioned earlier that it will be interesting to hear what resolution, if any, to your concerns U-turn might offer. Maybe your particular sample isn't up to snuff, but it could simply be that what you got is typical of what they offer. Of course, if that's not good enough, they have a 30-day return period for a refund, less shipping costs.

And for real, how difficult is it to make a plate that either isnt crooked or wobbly?

Not difficult at all, as long as you have experienced engineers, dedicated production managers, skilled craftsman and relentless quality control.....oh, and last but not least, customers willing to pay for all of the above.

Last edited:
I doubt the anti-skate or lack of it is causing the cartridge to skip a few grooves, more likely when the OP "dropped the needle" he was doing it too quickly and this caused the bouncing. As for the platter not wobbling, it's wavy now, the OP might be observing a not perfectly flat record, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Far as I can see no resolution warranted, table is running as designed/intended.
I dont think you read my entire message.

1. I did not drop the arm myself. I used the cue lever to do it. I do know very well how to place an arm onto a record even without it.

2. I do know the difference between a record and a wobbly/wavy platter. But...I know that you really do not believe me, so go to their website, just follow the link I supplied in one of my posts above and look at the stuff they are promoting on their website ((yes, it is even on their website). Had I seen this prior to placing the order...well, I would have ended up with another product.

Deck is faulty and of questionable quality.

Another trick you can try is to take the platter off the spindle, rotate it a quarter turn, put it back on and give it a spin by hand. Is it better or worse? keep this up until you have the least amount of wobble.
Thank you for your reply. The platter does not wobble. It is "wavy". It just has one hump on one of its sides.

Back
Top Bottom