The Apple iPod Nano, and Shuffle have been discontinued

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
The IPod Nano, and Shuffle have been discontinued leaving the A8 iPod Touch as the last of the iPod line. This is hardly a surprise. I was introduced to Apple hand helds via the iPhone Touch and I purchased 3 of them before finally getting my first iPhone. I wonder how much longer the iPod Touch will be around The 64gig version is $299, you can get an 32gig iPhone SE for $100 bucks more. With cloud storage of music and Apple music having 64 gigs is not as important as it once was. I don't think the end of Apples sales of these 2 players is as significant as the end of the iPod Classic was when it was discontinued in 2014. A lot of people where very connected to their iPods, and I suppose still are. I never purchased an iPod because it didn't have a user replaceable battery. I laugh at this as I am now paying $900 plus dollars for an iPhone that doesn't have an easily replaceable battery and I don't even think about it.

IPod Nano

IMG_1521.PNG

iPod Shuffle
IMG_1522.JPG

Last edited:
The IPod Nano, and Shuffle have been discontinued leaving the A8 iPod Touch as the last of the iPod line. This is hardly a surprise. I was introduced to Apple hand helds via the iPhone Touch and I purchased 3 of them before finally getting my first iPhone. I wonder how much longer the iPod Touch will be around The 64gig version is $299, you can get an 32gig iPhone SE for $100 bucks more. With cloud storage of music and Apple music having 64 gigs is not as important as it once was. I don't think the end of Apples sales of these 2 players is as significant as the end of the iPod Classic was when it was discontinued in 2014. A lot of people where very connected to their iPods, and I suppose still are. I never purchased an iPod because it didn't have a user replaceable battery. I laugh at this as I am now paying $900 plus dollars for an iPhone that doesn't have an easily replaceable battery and I don't even think about it.

IPod Nano

View attachment 974480

iPod Shuffle
View attachment 974483

With streaming services gaining popularity, they probably don't see much future in these products. They would rather have joggers wear Apple Watches or carry iPhones and use Bluetooth headphones. Outside of that, this type of player is for a niche group and Apple rarely serves niche markets these days.

I have a shuffle (rarely ever used it) and a Classic. The Classic still gets the USB input in my car, like it has for years, but I am more likely to stream over Bluetooth these days. I could easily live without the Classic, but it comes in handy when we get to the mountains and lose cellular. No reason not to carry it along.

I love my Shuffle and Nano. I use them 3-5 times a week, while I'm running around and I don't want to take the phone.

iPod_shuffle.jpg

Last edited:
On my iPhone 7+ 256 gig I have a total of 322 albums loaded into the Equalizer Pro App for 52 GB of space most of them are FLAC files and that includes 72 Beatles LP's. I have my imported CD's that are not available here in the States, mostly Japanese Anime soundtracks. The next edition of the iPhone will expand to 512 gig's. Apple is doing this not so much for music but for the storage of hi-rez photos and 4K videos.

iMore has just reported that Apple has dropped the 16, and the 64 gig iPod Touch sizes now only the 32, and 128gig version are available and they have reduced the price of each the 32 gig is now $199, and the 128 gig is $299.

On my iPhone 7+ 256 gig I have a total of 322 albums loaded into the Equalizer Pro App for 52 GB of space most of them are FLAC files and that includes 72 Beatles LP's. I have my imported CD's that are not available here in the States, mostly Japanese Anime soundtracks. The next edition of the iPhone will expand to 512 gig's. Apple is doing this not so much for music but for the storage of hi-rez photos and 4K videos.
Yep, I store a lot of videos and photos on my phone. I still have over 100GB left of space, so I could put a lot of music on it, if I chose to. When it gets to 512GB, I may get rid of the Classic at that point.

Back
Top Bottom