The Audiokarma Member of the Year for 2010

It is sad that he is no longer here to read this announcement himself and respond :tears:, but a more fitting choice and more appropriate tribute could not be made. Absolutely the right man for the award! :thmbsp:

Posthumous congratulations and R.I.P., Evan!

This is a nice recognition by the Audiokarma community of Zilch's lasting contribution.

A recent recognition of Evan was posted in a local on-line news source: "Evan received his degrees in engineering. He held more than 75 patents. His particular field of expertise was the development of exercise equipment. His company developed the swim bench, a dry land exercise used by swim teams around the world. Evan was the conditioning coach for the UC Berkeley swim team. Evan developed exercise equipment for commercial gyms ..."

His moniker 'More Data Less Wank' was probably derived from his experience to improve the performance of athletes.

Here is a discussion (from a swim training Blog) of a training machine that Evan developed many years ago (and continued to improve over time):

Coaches believe that on ... [Evan's] Swim Bench, swimmers move their arms in patterns identical to the various swimming strokes. It is an "exercise modality that can duplicate the swimming motion with speed." Data-hungry coaches are particularly fond of the dynamic force and strength analysis possible with the Swim Bench. A simple hookup allows coaches to get computer readouts that calculate and graph power output for every pull. Jim Richardson, women's coach at the University of Michigan, has seven Swim Benches ... When he uses the machine's variable resistance capability for rate-specific work, he'll connect the Swim Bench to a computer to learn how much force a swimmer is exerting in a certain block of time.

More data less wank, indeed - RIP Zilch

Last edited:
He could converse at the highest technical level in one post, and, in the next, explain his point so that even I could understand. He taught me, and many others of his readers, a great deal about speakers.

RIP Zilch! Your presence will linger here for a long, long time.

I had a couple of PM exchanges with Evan back in 2009 and than again last year.

What a Gentleman he was.

I only wish he could have been here to receive and enjoy it. Excellent selection.

I'm guessing somehow he knows.

If there ever was a more deserving member, I'd be hard pressed to remember.

Scott

Idid not know Evan as my interests do not lie in the area of speaker building. I do know that his death was untimely as he was much too young. From what others have written I do suspect that there are some great sounds in Heaven these days.

I only wish he could have been here to receive and enjoy it. Excellent selection.

My sentiment exactly!

His memory will be forever immortalized by this award.

Also, I would like to say congratulations to all who were nominated & thanks to the person(s) who nominated me. I am deeply touched by this gesture, for the second time.

Rome

Absolutely Fantastic!! A very wonderful tribute and an awsome legacy right here on AK!!

Thanks for all you have given Evan!! Do not rest in peace!! Keep heaven Zilchifide for all eternity!:D

:music:

We could not have done better. Not one little bit.

Here's hoping that some future award bestowed by AK can bear his name. "The Zilches"!

Evan was an outstanding example of what "contribution" means. He was always helpful, always giving, always trying to teach and explain. He will be missed.

Zilch!

Evan! Dude! Sheesh bro! Even in another life you're outclassing us.

There's a wrong truism about whoever has the most toys at the end wins. More likely it's whoever has the most fun at the end who wins, and that was you, Zilch, to a T. I never met a guy who enjoyed "being" more than you.

Congratulations. :banana:

Back
Top Bottom