The avengers

91firebird

Been watching the Brit tv show the avengers with steed and miss peel,had not seen it in years but it is as
I remember a fun Brit secret agent show.dianna rig was a hot miss peel.just a fun tv show.

Riggs is on the Victoria series now. I struggled with her identity, she looked so familiar. Then I spotted her name on the credits. Great show by the way.

Last edited:
Well went to the library today got the complete avengers DVD set plus the avengers movie with Connery as the bad guy
The early black and white shows were strange.the show was on for many years.

Well went to the library today got the complete avengers DVD set plus the avengers movie with Connery as the bad guy
The early black and white shows were strange.the show was on for many years.

Are you talking about the B&W episodes with dianna Rigg or Honor Blackmon?

You know the backstory on Diana Riggs for The Avengers?

The name "Emma Peel" is a play on the phrase "Man Appeal" or "M. Appeal",
which the production team stated was one of the required elements of the character.
(Diana Rigg was never comfortable in her position as a world-famous sex-symbol.)
according to the wiki, tho I had heard it before ...

I just though she was superb and smashing in the part!
(also as Bond's wife!)

Don't forget Tara King played by Linda Thornson.
Also Diana Rigg was in a movie called The Assassination Bureau that is a fun watch.
51JC20EVX8L._SY445_.jpg

Last edited:
Been watching the Brit tv show the avengers with steed and miss peel,had not seen it in years but it is as
I remember a fun Brit secret agent show.dianna rig was a hot miss peel.just a fun tv show.

Epic show, was given the boxed DVD set for the Rigg ones awhile back. I love shoot'em ups but enjoyed John Steed's brainpower in avoiding them. Such a great role -

02_John-Steed.jpg

You know the backstory on Diana Riggs for The Avengers?

The name "Emma Peel" is a play on the phrase "Man Appeal" or "M. Appeal",
which the production team stated was one of the required elements of the character.
(Diana Rigg was never comfortable in her position as a world-famous sex-symbol.)
according to the wiki, tho I had heard it before ...

I just though she was superb and smashing in the part!
(also as Bond's wife!)

Started watching the show in ~1971 when it showed up in syndication. It was different than anything else. Even now I am surprised at the writing and complexity of the plots. It was on Saturday nights where I lived and for me, an event each week. (For awhile it was followed by The Saint, what an evening!) By then I'd noticed most series were somewhat predicable but The Avengers were not.

/...and diana rigg

nintchdbpict000338025073.jpg

Well just finished season one,it was good,got a few more seasons of black and white then 1966 goes to color.they
Don't make tv shows like this anymore,lost in space xfiles,the night stalker,land of the giants,voyage to the
Bottom of the sea,batman,wild wild west.Well anyway can't wait to get to the avengers in color,well I forgot dr who.
The night stalker was one of the best.

Well just finished season one,it was good,got a few more seasons of black and white then 1966 goes to color.they
Don't make tv shows like this anymore,lost in space xfiles,the night stalker,land of the giants,voyage to the
Bottom of the sea,batman,wild wild west.Well anyway can't wait to get to the avengers in color,well I forgot dr who.
The night stalker was one of the best.

Add The Man from U.N.C.L.E. to the list. I never saw it when I was young and it wasn't until my late 20s when I finally did. One summer the entire series ran 2 eps an evening. Did not see all but saw quite a few. The B&W ones were excellent, nearly hard-edged w/ THRUSH portrayed as a stand-in for the Soviets. As the show progressed and went to color it become more comedic. I saw an interview with Mark Goddard (Lost in Space) and he mentioned how Batman (introduced in color) changed the TV game in that regard. Many shows were funnied up or made more outlandish as it looked like a good formula. TMFU was still good in color but it lost much of the serious aspect it originally had.

I became aware of The Avengers when Emma Peel (Diana Rigg) was in the cast. I loved it. It was a tasty blend of James Bond type spy, a bit of sci fi, with a touch of British tongue in cheek humor thrown in for good measure that was unlike anything American TV had to offer. IMNSHO, John Steed and Emma Peel were the real Avengers.

Last edited:
I became aware of The Avengers when Emma Peel (Diana Rigg) was in the cast. I loved it. It was a tasty blend of James Bond type spy, a bit of sci fi, with a touch of British tongue in cheek humor thrown in for good measure that was unlike anything American TV had to offer. IMNSHO, John Steed and Emma Peel were the real Avengers.

Hollywood gave us Wild Wild West, which was Steam Punk, before Steam Punk was even a thing. :D

I watched The Avengers,and then The New Avengers,which had Joanna Lumley as Purdey,the new version of Emma Peel.Loved both shows!

Back
Top Bottom