The beast on the bay!!! TECHNICS SA-1000!!!!

Accuphase P-300, C-200, and T-100

SoCal Sam said:
My sentiments exactly. $1,000 for something that is collectable but not the top of its class is a questionable buy. For the money, I would rather have severals sets of separates that can be put together. How about an Accuphase P-300, C-200, and T-100 that I got for less than what this SA-1000 is going for.
I agree 110%

Aution Over: $980.00!!!

Well, now I feel somewhat vindicated. :yes:

The extremely rare Technics SA-1000 "big bad ass" Receiver was up for an entire week on the world's most popular auction site and didn't even crack $1,000.00. :no: Came close though!!

There was nothing basically wrong with this SA-1000, as far as could be seen, and yet it did not outsell the typical SX-1980s, G22000s and 2500s and didn't even come REMOTELY close to the typical 33000s and 2600s, which is the same way it was back when I sold these new. Unfortunately, back in the day, the Technics was MSRP'd at about the same as the other Super Monsters. However, it was not as desireable then and the intervening years have merely solidified the ranking of the various Super Monsters. That's why the Technics had to be sold for HUGE discounts. Othewise, people went for the Marantz, Sansui or Pioneer instead. No customer that I ever demo'd for frankly preferred the Technics over the others that I can remember.

So, please don't argue with me about my observations on the SA-1000, your beef is with all the people who refused to pay more than $980.00 for "the world's most powerful receiver". Evidently, they voted with their wallets.

Interesting auction with an entirely predictable outcome.

What I think is even more interesting is that if a nice Rotel RX-1603 showed up it could even outsell the SA-1000, as could a nice Hitachi SR-2004. (The bidding on the last one started at $1,000.00 with poor photos and no takers).

So, that pretty much establishes the vintage Monster desirability pecking order in the minds of most collectors as I see it:

G33000
2500/SX-1980/G2200 (all about the same)
RX-1603/SR-2004/SA-1000/CR-3020/2355 (all about the same)
G-9000/SX-1280 (about the same now)
SX-1250/16.5/KR-9050/2325/2330B (all about the same)
KR-9600/2285B
TX-8500 MkII
SA-7150
RS-2015/RS-1080
However, I do hope the high bidder got what he/she is hoping for. And, if they're an AK'er....that would be really cool!

-- Chris

Axcel said:
its still a Technics:thumbsdn:

Axcel -- Careful, there!!!! Some people do not take kindly to such remarks and may flog you in the public square. However, I enjoyed my flogging. They were very gentle.

flogging

vintagestereo said:
Axcel -- Careful, there!!!! Some people do not take kindly to such remarks and may flog you in the public square. However, I enjoyed my flogging. They were very gentle.
Certainly meant no disrespect to Technics owner/lover's I am old enough to remember the era inwhch these all came out and Technics again IMHO and most of my friends when given the alternatives of the time Technics was not considered with Pioneer - Sansui and Marantz. I have owened a 2325 - Sx1980 X 2 also a 1050 and 1080 oh yes a Sansui 9090db all suberb power receivers sold them all. When considering sound vs power I opted for an Accuphase E202 and also looking for an Accuphase C200 and P300. Its all a matter of opinion I guess:music:

Axcel said:
Certainly meant no disrespect to Technics owner/lover's I am old enough to remember the era inwhch these all came out and Technics again IMHO and most of my friends when given the alternatives of the time Technics was not considered with Pioneer - Sansui and Marantz. I have owened a 2325 - Sx1980 X 2 also a 1050 and 1080 oh yes a Sansui 9090db all suberb power receivers sold them all. When considering sound vs power I opted for an Accuphase E202 and also looking for an Accuphase C200 and P300. Its all a matter of opinion I guess:music:

I hope to get some Accuphase gear shortly. Have never seen it in person, but highly regarded by people I respect. :yes:

vintagestereo said:
Well, now I feel vindicated. :yes:

The extremely rare Technics SA-1000 "big bad ass" Receiver was up for an entire week on the world's most popular auction site and didn't even crack $1,000.00. :no: Came close though!!
The ad and pics were completely and utterly worthless! :thumbsdn:

I believe this will be SA-1000 #2 for Carve3d. He'll have to send you a big thank you for creating a SA-1000 negative stir during the whole auction.......

Having not owned a Technics personally, I can not have an opinion regarding the 1000. I would like to say that the dynamics of this thread, over time, has been surprising. It reminded me of political discussions/arguments that I have witnessed in the past. At points it was uncomfortable, amusing, humorous, and sometimes a little scary. I enjoyed you all. Thanks.

Gary

Brudha said:
The ad and pics were completely and utterly worthless! :thumbsdn:

I believe this will be SA-1000 #2 for Carve3d. He'll have to send you a big thank you for creating a SA-1000 negative stir during the whole auction.......

All I said is that it was not "top of the heap" or worth "bragging rights" like the 2600 or G22000/G33000. I also pointed out why. I said it is a very competent Receiver and those favoring it were much more aggressive and pressing their opinions. So, frankly, what I said had nothing to do with the outcome. People spend their money as they see fit, not based upon what one person on an Internet forum says. You're giving me WAY too much credit! :D

KingBubba said:
Having not owned a Technics personally, I can not have an opinion regarding the 1000. I would like to say that the dynamics of this thread, over time, has been surprising. It reminded me of political discussions/arguments that I have witnessed in the past. At points it was uncomfortable, amusing, humorous, and sometimes a little scary. I enjoyed you all. Thanks.

Gary

If we all stay civilized....we CAN make it!

vintagestereo said:
You're giving me WAY too much credit! :D
I'd venture a guess that 1 out of 3 bidders on all the vintage crap on eBay are AK members. An AK member was the winning bidder.

Didn't you know you were known as the Alan Greenspan of the vintage stereo market........?:D

So who was the lucky winner?

It is a beautiful receiver and I believe it was a good deal. Had they shot better pics and description, it would have sold for much more.

As I had mentioned earlier, I sold mine for $1,800.00 two years ago. It was in a little better condition but as we all know, two years ago, most vintage equipment was about selling for much less.

Congrats on the purchase and had I been around at the end of bidding, I probably would have placed a bid. Had a meeting and forgot all about it. Let us know your thoughts once you get it.

Guilty as charged again.

Sometimes I get crazy ideas. Oh well.

As far as the Technics SA -1000 goes, IMHO they are undervalued. The whole SA-**** line is. The ones that I have had have been solid performers but certainly not flashy. Most people outside of AK don't know the SA-1000 holds the paper title for wpc and here at AK, it doesn't get much respect. If Pioneer and Yamaha had a kid, it might be the SA-1000. Although every one would wonder if Sansui had been around, because the SA-1000 has 2 big knobs also.

Hopefully it will show up in one piece, otherwise the SA-1000 will take over the money pit crown at my house (from Marantz).

Back
Top Bottom