1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

The Beatles "White Album" 50th Anniversary Remaster/Reissue U,N?

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by jcamero, Sep 25, 2018.

1. jcamero

jcamero Wake Up to Find Out Subscriber

Are you in?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. C6Bill

C6Bill AK Subscriber Subscriber

Absolutely, I already have my order in at Acoustic Sounds :)

3. Mystic

Mystic We're all born mad

The only version I listen to is a cassette recording (later a rip) of an original Apple UK Mono issue of this LP. I also have a first-issue Apple US Stereo issue, the sound of which I never liked. If the Acoustic Sounds RI is Stereo, I might be interested in hearing it @ least once, but it'd be pretty tough for anyone, regardless how "golden-eared" that person be, to improve on the sound of the Apple UK Mono issue of this LP. And even then I only listen to approximately 50% of the thing, which in my opinion would have made for a spectacular single-disc LP, but not so much as the double-LP it be.

P.S. gosh, I think I'll pop on my UK Mono (vinyl) rip and have a listen to (approximately half of) it.

ETLS likes this.
  4. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

Well I have a lot of these in the original pressing over the years made. Some others I have are
    The one in the 1978 Blue Box Set from the UK & Japan
    The one in the MFSL Box Set, (First Pressing)
    The individual copy from MFSL
    The one in the 2014 Mono Box Set
    I think I have a UK early copy
    I have a E+ US fist press from the LA plant...

I bough the 50th SP that came out and it is pressed a Quality Record Pressing.
    Product No.: Acoustic Sounds Stock # ACAP 98348, you'll notest the AP in the stock number.

The White album while not saying it will be pressed at QRP they have this
    Product No.: ACAP 6757201

So if thats the case yes I'll be buying one that came from QRP.

jobrewer1983 likes this.
  5. captouch

captouch AK Subscriber Subscriber

I got an email with preorder link from Elusive Disc (no affiliation). Their website says it's being pressed at QRP.

Though I don't really want to spend the $100 on the 4 LP deluxe version, I no doubt will end up doing that.

jobrewer1983, 4-2-7 and C6Bill like this.
  6. C6Bill

So it does !!!!

"Coming November 9, 2018 pre-order your copy today! Orders with both pre-order and in stock items will have all in stock items shipped immediately!

Limited Deluxe Anniversary Edition 180g Vinyl 4LP!
    Pressed at Quality Record Pressings!

This Limited Edition 4LP Set comes in a lift-top box with 4-page booklet. The collection includes the 2LP album (new stereo mix) in a faithfully reproduced embossed cover of its original gatefold sleeve with fold-out poster and portrait photos, PLUS the Esher Demos pressed across 2LPs in an embossed gatefold sleeve.

"Everything we know about the White Album is about to change. The Beatles’ 1968 masterpiece has always been the deepest mystery in their story—their wildest, strangest, most experimental, most brilliant music. But as it turns out, the White Album is even weirder than anyone realized...

"Part of the White Album mystique is all the drama that went into it—the arguments and bad vibes are the stuff of legend. So the big shock is all the humor, excitement, and camaraderie on display in the new set. Case in point: a previously unknown version of “Good Night” where John, Paul, George and Ringo all harmonize over folk guitar. As Martin admits, “You listen to them sing together and ask, ‘This is the White Album?...”

"The Deluxe and Super Deluxe Editions finally unveil the Esher demos, which hardcore Beatle freaks have been clamoring to hear for years. In May 1968, just back from India, the group gathered at George’s bungalow in Esher (pronounced “Ee-sher”) to tape unplugged versions of the new songs they’d already stockpiled for the new album. Over the next days, working together or solo, they busked 27 songs. The tapes sat in a suitcase in George’s house for years. Seven tracks came out on Anthology 3; others have never been released in any Beatle version, including John’s “Child of Nature” and George’s “Sour Milk Sea.” The Esher tapes alone make this collection essential, with a fresh homemade intimacy that’s unique. Martin says, “They’re rough takes, but spiritually, the performances stand on their own.”

"Of course, the essence of the White Album is that everyone hears it differently—including the Beatles themselves. They clashed over what to include, what to leave out, whether it should have been edited down to a single record. (Years later, in the Anthology documentary, they were still arguing over it.) This edition will fire up those arguments. But even for fans who know the original album inside out, it’s a whole new experience—one that will permanently change how we think and talk about the Beatles."
    - rollingstone.com"

7. jcamero

I think I'd just opt for the 2 lp set. Their is a teaser You Tube promo playing "Helter Skelter", sounds damn fine!

jobrewer1983 likes this.
  8. 4-2-7

Here are how it's being packaged.

6CD+blu-ray box set (stereo remix, Esher Demos + 3 CDs of sessions, 5. 1 mix)
    6CD+blu-ray super deluxe edition

The super deluxe edition exclusively includes three CDs of ‘sessions’ and a blu-ray audio disc that features a 5.1 surround sound mix, a hi-res stereo mix (of the new stereo remix) and a direct transfer of the original mono mix. The sessions include 50 additional recordings, most previously unreleased, from ‘White Album’ studio sessions; all newly mixed from the four-track and eight-track session tapes, sequenced in order of their recording start dates.

The super deluxe is packaged as a book which slots into a slipcase. It includes the four photos and the poster that came with the original ‘White Album’ as well as the seven discs.

4LP vinyl set (stereo remix + Esher Demos)
    4LP vinyl deluxe set

The four-LP vinyl set comes in a lift-top box with a four-page booklet, and presents the 2LP album in a faithful, embossed reproduction of its original gatefold sleeve with the fold-out poster and portrait photos, paired with the 2LP ‘Esher Demos’ in an embossed gatefold sleeve.

3CD deluxe (stereo remix + Esher Demos)
    The humble deluxe three-CD set is packaged as an embossed digipak with the fold-out poster and portrait photos, plus a 24-page booklet.

2LP vinyl (stereo remix)
    Just the album for this one, No ‘Esher Demos’

9. dfunghi

dfunghi AK Subscriber Subscriber

My understanding is that the NON DELUXE version is QRP pressed. There is no mention the 4X LP deluxe is. I guess a call to Kansas is in order tomorrow.

QRP named
    https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/138392/The_Beatles-The_White_Album-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record

QRP Not named
    https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/138517/The_Beatles-The_White_Album-Vinyl_Box_Sets

Nate at AS will have an answer.

C6Bill likes this.
  10. Rockyhill

Rockyhill No marigolds in the promised land Subscriber

Starting with the 3CD deluxe (stereo remix + Esher Demos). Will know more in November.

11. C6Bill

I called this morning and Even said "if it says QRP it's QRP, if it doesn't it isn't" But he didn't sound real thrilled to be answering questions.

I really hope the box set is also pressed by QRP, and you'd think it has to be as ED has it listed that way

http://www.elusivedisc.com/The-Beat...sary-Edition-180g-4LP/productinfo/CAPLP57201/
    Features:
    • Limited Edition
    • 180g Vinyl
    • 4LP
    • Pressed at Quality Record Pressings
    • 2-Piece Lift-off Lid Box
    • 16-page 12" x 12" stapled book
    • Faithfully reproduced embossed cover of original gatefold sleeve
    • Fold-out poster and portrait photos
    • Features Esher Demos

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018

12. 4-2-7

Acoustic Sounds has AP in all these product # for the Beatles albums for a reason (Analogue Productions). Capital is not going to have two pressing plants in the states pressing these records, they just don't do that. The Lacquers where shipped to QRP to do all the plating and pressing at least for the US copies.

I wonder who they are using in Europe, if they want to match QRP quality, maybe Pallas Germany.

13. C6Bill

The release date is the same for QRP's pressing of the Electric Ladyland box set, really looking forward to both of these !!!

4-2-7 likes this.
  14. dfunghi

I think that may not be a case of being an AP production as I have seen AP in many catalogue numbers sold by AS.

Here is a 1978 Purple Cap Re with an AP cat #
    https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/73256/The_Beatles-The_White_Album-Preowned_Vinyl_Record
    UCAP SWBO101

I did receive a definitive answer and QRP is NOT pressing the deluxe box set. QRP is only pressing the 2X LP RE. Which is the one I will buy. The deluxe may be being done as a US, EU, UK joint issue and one pressing plant (we can hope Pallas) did them. We will know more in November when matrix and reviews get published. It is not an AP reissue and QRP does press for many other labels other than their in house AP. The RE is however RM by George Martin's sons who IMO did a fantastic job on the Love LP RM job years ago. I have heard there may be another one in the works as well.

15. C6Bill

I just called ED, real nice folks to talk to by the way, they will check on this. They said they would update their web site immediately if they find out that it is not.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  16. jcamero

Just pre-ordered the 4 LP Box Set.

C6Bill and 4-2-7 like this.

17. C6Bill

Looks like ED got the same information you did, they updated their site to remove any mention of QRP from the box set. Guess I'll just have to buy both lol

Features:
    • Limited Edition
    • 180g Vinyl
    • 4LP
    • 2-Piece Lift-off Lid Box
    • 16-page 12" x 12" stapled book
    • Faithfully reproduced embossed cover of original gatefold sleeve
    • Fold-out poster and portrait photos
    • Features Esher Demos

4-2-7 likes this.
  18. 4-2-7

Yes and re-looking at the Beatles titles there and the "Used" one you posted. The AP in the stock number is actually UCAP this stands for U=Used and the CAP= Capital. The other new records are ACAP, A=? CAP= Capital, maybe A stands for Acoustic Sounds and a retail product sold in the store. I never meant the AP in any of these was stating a Analogue Production record.

As far as the boxed 4 record sets being done out of the states and the single two record LP done at QRP I can see that happening. I know the Led Zep studio catalog albums Supper Deluxe Box Sets where all done at Pallas, while the LPs and the Deluxe records where done at different places around the world.

So I'm with Bill, it looks like I need to get both now. We might be able to have a QRP & Pallas shoot out LOL, all with the same mastering and only the pressing plant work different.

C6Bill likes this.
  19. C6Bill

@4-2-7 With all the different versions you have a shootout could take a month of Sundays lol

20. dfunghi

It would be nice to think that whomever presses these would use the same level of care and QC as QRP but that may not be the case. Since I am trying very hard to stop growing my collection if I do indeed need to part ways with it in the next couple years I will await some updated info here on the differences. I find in general, not only Beatles, when I buy retakes, alternate takes and other ephemera of recording sessions I listen a couple times but always go back to the original release.

I trust we can revive this thread after Nov 9 when delivery and listening has taken place. I imagine Amazon folks and those with a close relationship to a retailer may have these a day or three early.