The Beatles "White Album" 50th Anniversary Remaster/Reissue U,N?

I posted a thread a few days ago about the two disc vinyl version that I received. It's magnificently, musically, majestically, magically--running out of alliterative adverbs here--MIGHTY! That's it.

Magnificently, majestically, magically, musically, mighty.

Don't need, want, require, desire, or otherwise have any interest in extras. With a classic like this, Pepper, and the original Zeppelin albums, I want the overall musical package as the artist and producers originally intended. Remixes, remasters, stereo versions etc. are all great in my book, but I want the original work in its original format with the original songs in the original sequence. No extra garbage. Surround mixes are OK as well, but that's a whole different discussion.

Oh, and another thing. I've listened to this album for the last 50 years lord knows how many times, but today I caught the lyric to "I'm so Tired." I never could make out what Lennon said after "I'll have another cigarette..."

I'm so tired I'll have another cigarette
And curse Sir Walter Raleigh
He was such a stupid get

Yes, the clarity is insanely good on the new stereo remix and when I heard this I laughed out loud. What a clever genius he was. Wonder how I missed that quip?

Oh, and another thing. I've listened to this album for the last 50 years lord knows how many times, but today I caught the lyric to "I'm so Tired." I never could make out what Lennon said after "I'll have another cigarette..."

He was such a stupid get

Yes, the clarity is insanely good on the new stereo remix and when I heard this I laughed out loud. What a clever genius he was. Wonder how I missed that quip?

I believe it is actually "stupid git" it is British slang.

Last edited:
Yes. At the risk of seeming curmudgeonly, I've never been into collecting variations simply for the sake of having variations, extras, etc. I'm almost never as impressed with these things as I was with the initial listening experience of the way the album was intended to be heard.

Forgive that horribly written sentence. It's early.

I do like having mono and stereo versions, but that's about as far as I go with this kind of thing.

I posted a thread a few days ago about the two disc vinyl version that I received. It's magnificently, musically, majestically, magically--running out of alliterative adverbs here--MIGHTY! That's it.

Magnificently, majestically, magically, musically, mighty.

Don't need, want, require, desire, or otherwise have any interest in extras. With a classic like this, Pepper, and the original Zeppelin albums, I want the overall musical package as the artist and producers originally intended. Remixes, remasters, stereo versions etc. are all great in my book, but I want the original work in its original format with the original songs in the original sequence. No extra garbage. Surround mixes are OK as well, but that's a whole different discussion.

I never knew the lyric there, either.
I guessed, "and cursed the walls around me, he was such a stupid get."
Enlightenment is upon me, now. :)

Had it on vinyl, had it on cassette, have it on CD. I'm ok with that.

I'm almost never as impressed with these things as I was with the initial listening experience of the way the album was intended to be heard.

I love when people say that,"intended to be Heard" I just have to say..What's that?:D

So lets just take this record, do you not think John Paul George and Ringo would not have wanted to take advantage of technology that was 50 years in the future for any of their work?

I think they would want to have their music in the mass market that could be listen to, the best it could be. Painstakingly mastered and produced in low numbers with just a couple of pressing plants putting a record out on quality vinyl.

What one might call intended to be heard, is really millions of records pressed in a frantic high pressure environment. Knocking out as many records as fast as possible in hundreds of pressing plant with quality taking a back seat to bringing product to market.

They also only knew what was the best it could be then, mastering and getting the music in the record grooves has changed a lot, and half speed mastering is one of the best ways to do it, 45rpm is also another way. Record companies knew this back then but it was too much work and cost.
Half speed mastering takes twice as long to cut the lacquer.
A 45 RPM LP means they need to double the vinyl cost and press two records.
Then I guess we can add in packaging cost and add shipping cost due to weight.

Today we can hear the music better because they get more of it in the grooves. I think the artist would have wanted it that way in the first place.

Last edited:
Good points, well taken.

I should know by this point in my life that I should never say never. I may eventually make an exception for this one. The white album is one of my favorite records, so... .

I might just go for the regular 2xLP reissue, at least.

I love when people say that,"intended to be Heard" I just have to say..What's that?:D

So lets just take this record, do you not think John Paul George and Ringo would not have wanted to take advantage of technology that was 50 years in the future for any of their work?

I think they would want to have their music in the mass market that could be listen to, the best it could be. Painstakingly mastered and produced in low numbers with just a couple of pressing plants putting a record out quality vinyl.

What one might call intended to be heard, is really millions of records pressed in a frantic high pressure environment. Knocking out as many records as fast as possible in hundreds of pressing plant with quality taking a back seat to bringing product to market.

They also only knew what was the best it could be then, mastering and getting the music in the record grooves has changed a lot, and half speed mastering is one of the best ways to do it, 45rpm is also another way. Record companies knew this back then but it was too much work and cost.

Today we can hear the music better because they get more of it in the grooves. I think the artist would have wanted it that way in the first place.

Do you have a copy with the poster? It has lyrics to all the songs on the reverse.

He was such a stupid get

I think they would want to have their music in the mass market that could be listen to, the best it could be. Painstakingly mastered and produced in low numbers with just a couple of pressing plants putting a record out on quality vinyl.

Half speed mastering takes twice as long to cut the lacquer.
A 45 RPM LP means they need to double the vinyl cost and press two records.
Then I guess we can add in packaging cost and add shipping cost due to weight.

Considering Paul, Ringo, Yoko, and Olivia signed off on it, I would say their answer is a resounding, "Yes". :thumbsup:

And my 3CD copy arrived a day early, Today!
Sadly, it was left up against the house in the snow pack drip, but - its ok!

IMG_7738.jpg

Ok. I'm in. I got it after my Uncle said its a must have. My son who is a Beatles fan as well was visiting when it got it delivered. We both planted our butts in the listening couch and put the light organ on so we could see what the hub bub was about. OMFG. I have never heard anything like that come out of my stereo. It was an out of the body experience for me and my son. I've got a couple different versions of this album and this is by far my favorite. QRP does and awesome job on their vinyl pressings and this lived up to the hype in my opinion. Giles Martin made his father proud.

• 'Git' is usually used as an insult, more severe than twit but less severe than a true profanity like wanker or arsehole, and may often be used affectionately between friends. 'Get' can also be used, with a subtle change of meaning. 'You cheeky get!' is slightly less harsh than 'You cheeky git!'.
View attachment 1331748

Yeah, I remember I had to ask my dad what that meant. He was a little taken aback but explained that it was British slang and a derogatory term.

Excellent re-issue well mixed and pressed. They did this right and I too have many different formats of this album but the new vinyl being pressed at QRP just sounds outstanding! I have since filled my LP collection to fill my available room and now I'm out for the best sounding and this one qualifies! :beatnik:

Played the Esher Demo's last night, loved every minute of it. It wasn't what I expected. Typically the "extra"stuff" gets played once and put away. I can see myself playing this many more times.

I've just listened to about the first 2/3rds of it via Spotify Premium streaming to Bose QC35 headphones. Not an awesome set up, but OK. I am stunned. It feels like a completely new album. I'm not even sure if that is a good thing yet, but wow. I am not a particularly critical listener and I usually prefer to listen to speakers over headphones. So, not sure just how much of my experience is due to circumstances versus the recording. But at times I hardly recall that I know all the music I am listening to extremely well.

To start with, old cliche - I am hearing all kinds of things I've never heard before. Almost constantly. And the lyrics, particularly Paul, are considerably more lifelike - as though they cut out a certain amount of reverberation maybe? There's a couple of tracks where I swear I could reach out and touch the vocalist.

I can clearly hear the individual instruments in a way I never have before. Ringo's drums and Paul's bass seem particularly much more forward, but I can pretty much pick out any instrument and focus on just that, following it all the way through the track. That's new to me. It gives me a whole new appreciation of the complexity and genius of the recording. But there's a distracting element to it as well. It's like they remixed the record with everything brought to the same level, like its all competing to be the main focus. As a result I feel a bit like I never heard a single song; rather, I heard a bunch of individual instrument tracks all played back at the same time.

Again, this may be due to listening circumstances or a million other things. I will certainly listen to the recording a lot more, and with my primary home system. But for someone who has never really heard much difference between pressings or releases, this is kind of mind blowing.

I've just listened to about the first 2/3rds of it via Spotify Premium streaming to Bose QC35 headphones. Not an awesome set up, but OK. I am stunned. It feels like a completely new album. I'm not even sure if that is a good thing yet, but wow. I am not a particularly critical listener and I usually prefer to listen to speakers over headphones. So, not sure just how much of my experience is due to circumstances versus the recording. But at times I hardly recall that I know all the music I am listening to extremely well.

To start with, old cliche - I am hearing all kinds of things I've never heard before. Almost constantly. And the lyrics, particularly Paul, are considerably more lifelike - as though they cut out a certain amount of reverberation maybe? There's a couple of tracks where I swear I could reach out and touch the vocalist.

I can clearly hear the individual instruments in a way I never have before. Ringo's drums and Paul's bass seem particularly much more forward, but I can pretty much pick out any instrument and focus on just that, following it all the way through the track. That's new to me. It gives me a whole new appreciation of the complexity and genius of the recording. But there's a distracting element to it as well. It's like they remixed the record with everything brought to the same level, like its all competing to be the main focus. As a result I feel a bit like I never heard a single song; rather, I heard a bunch of individual instrument tracks all played back at the same time.

Again, this may be due to listening circumstances or a million other things. I will certainly listen to the recording a lot more, and with my primary home system. But for someone who has never really heard much difference between pressings or releases, this is kind of mind blowing.

Did you listen to the 2009 remaster of the original mix? I remember it bringing out the bass and drums as well, and overall being clearer and sounding more dynamic.

Just curious what your reference point is. If it's the original pre 2009 mix, I can see it being a huge difference.

I just casually listened to it the other day and it sounded good, but I didn't find it revelatory like the Sgt Pepper remix. At some point, I'll sit down and compare a few tracks back to back (2009 to 50th anniversary) and see how big the differences are to me.

@captouch I had a copy of the 2009 remaster and returned it, I thought it was harsh maybe even brittle sounding with almost no bass or drums. I found it to be almost unlistenable compared to my purple label Capitol pressing. But this 2018 remix is just beautiful, and as I said earlier, loved every minute of it including the Esher Demo's.

@captouch I had a copy of the 2009 remaster and returned it, I thought it was harsh maybe even brittle sounding with almost no bass or drums. I found it to be almost unlistenable compared to my purple label Capitol pressing. But this 2018 remix is just beautiful, and as I said earlier, loved every minute of it including the Esher Demo's.

Hmm, that's really interesting. I'll have to compare the two. I also have a 1970's Apple pressing on vinyl I can bring into the comparison as well.

Back
Top Bottom