The Best 3-way with 10" or larger woofer

Drugolf

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Been doing a lot of contemplation lately about what is the best format speaker for my room which is 12' x 12'. I really enjoy the fantastic speakers you see down in my signature line with several of them being considered TOTL for those brands in their model year or close to it. The challenge I am having is that for the most part, most of them are just too darn big and are overpowering in my room, particularly at higher volumes.

I would like to find a smaller TOTL speaker that is more room fitting. To me this would be something more in the model of AR3, OLA, KLH Model 5 etc. But better. That probably translates to something a little newer than those of course which is not a bad thing.

The challenge I see as things get newer is that while speakers get better at high frequency reproduction, many ended up with smaller woofers and just don't deliver that end of the frequency range as good as something with 10" or 12" woofers can (yes a broad generalization but something I have been experiencing).

I just got done rebuilding a pair of Ar12's. They are 25" high, 13.5" wide and like 11" deep. The prototypical old style rectangular box format that was wide enough to hold a 10" or 12" (the Ar11 and AR10pi are the same cabinet size) woofer. They sound really really good and deliver all frequencies.

What would be considered the best of this format? Something along those lines that have the driver quality that were used in the larger TOTL models. Do I have to start looking at newer brands that might still be designing speakers in this format like Harbeth and Spendor etc. (I think I really like the British sound followed by east coast) Is sub/sats the only way to achieve this? Rather not.

The reality here is that many of us, and many in the market for the most part, have rooms in the 12' x 12' size range.

My thoughts here are a bit rambly, but I think you can get what my thought process is on this. Hopefully.

Where are all the great 3-ways with 10" or larger woofers that will make me say WOW!

I've been all over the map with speakers over the years. I always find my way back to a 2 way design. And as posted above, add a sub if needed. Six of my seven pairs of speakers are 2 way now. The one pair that isn't is a pair of huge Warfedale 90's with dual 12" woofers with dual mids and tweets. One of my favorites is the Marantz Imperial 6. 10" woofer, tweeter and a front port. Its one of those speakers I'll always keep. I don't always have them hooked up, but always in rotation. With new crossover caps they just play everything well. The bass is there even at low volumes and I don't have tone controls in my main system. I have a pair of OLA's and the Imperials sound better to me.

Of the large bookshelf speakers I have the Bozak 301A tempo is the only one I haven't gotten completely familiar with yet. It uses the 12inch 199 woofer and small aluminum tweeter from the 302A and a smaller aluminum mid. It's sounds similar to the 302a but needs more power. At this point I like it better than these I have.
KLH 5
OLA
Dynaco A40XL
Fisher XP7B
AR3
Optimus5
And less than half a dozen bigger speakers I have.

In short it looks like the Bozak 301A Tempo acoustic suspension speaker is a fine vintage bookshelf speaker. Great bass in spades, but old.

Harbeth/Spendor make/made speakers with big woofers?

I recently heard a pair of B&W DM1400s circa early 80's [basically the same as DM 14's].
Even with smaller dual woofers, I gotta say I was plenty impressed.
The only reason they're not currently sitting in my house is because I think they might need a sub-woofer.

Although, in a smaller room, maybe not. Hard to say.
Bass really wasn't bad at all.

Edit: yeah I should buy them.

Last edited:
My listening room is around the same square footage as yours....(15'L x 10' W)…..I am also a fan of 3 way speakers.....I have tried 2 way Monitor Audios with a 10" sub in the room and the sound was very controlled and of good sound quality but I still enjoyed the 3 ways a bit more...the 3ways can be much more dynamic and fun :)

My impression is that anything bigger than a 10" woofer per cabinet might be too big for the room. (A pair of 2 ways with a 1 x 12" sub could work also)
I rotate between the ADSL810 (2 x 8" woofers) and some modified Pioneer HPM 60s (1 x 10" woofer), the 10" Pioneers handle the volume in the room better I think.

If I had the budget I would consider some B&W Matrix 801 series, more budget: the Harbeth 3 ways.
I am also tempted by some 2 way designs with passive radiators.

Last edited:

On the iPod @ work

wrong thread sorry!

JBL L110A or Decade 26's Only a 2 way but is quite impressive..

to answer the OP's question.^^

If you don't want JBL B&W DM640 and 640i are amazing.

I say screw the 3way idea and run some JBL L19's, or some 4301B's or Decade 16s or 26's. For your small 12x12 room you will have no problems with SQ.

Good luck on the hunt!

wrong thread sorry!

JBL L110A or Decade 26's Only a 2 way but is quite impressive..

to answer the OP's question.^^

If you don't want JBL B&W DM640 and 640i are amazing.

I say screw the 3way idea and run some JBL L19's, or some 4301B's or Decade 16s or 26's. For your small 12x12 room you will have no problems with SQ.

Good luck on the hunt!

OP said " (I think I really like the British sound followed by east coast)"

Harbeth/Spendor made speakers with big woofers?

I recently heard a pair of B&W DM1400s circa early 80's [basically the same as DM 14's].
Even with smaller dual woofers, I gotta say I was plenty impressed.
The only reason they're not currently sitting in my house is because I think they might need a sub-woofer.

Although, in a smaller room, maybe not. Hard to say.
Bass really wasn't bad at all.

Edit: yeah I should buy them.

2nd the Harbeth/Spendor idea.

I've got a set of the DM12's 2 way 8"

Pix from google not mine ^^ but you get the idea..

The DM12's and 14's are nice speaker but placement is key! Once the tweet is at ear level and they are good 6-8' apart they really start to sing.

Id say snag some JBL 4301B's or the 19's and call it a day, they are really forgiving with placement, and really do sound fantastic. Id put the 4301B's up against a lot of 3 way's with no concerns. I'm sure others would say the same.

The challenge I am having is that for the most part, most of them are just too darn big and are overpowering in my room, particularly at higher volumes.
I find the greater challenge with multi-ways in small rooms is inability to achieve enough listener-to-speaker distance for optimum driver blending.

I would prefer a good two-way, or ideally a full range design in a small space.

I find the greater challenge with multi-ways in small rooms is inability to achieve enough listener-to-speaker distance for optimum driver blending.

I would prefer a good two-way, or ideally a full range design in a small space.

can you clarify what do you mean by a full range design?

can you clarify what do you mean by a full range design?
Single, crossoverless driver that eliminates blending issues. Could be dynamic or ideally, electrostatic.

Having said that, there are many two ways with moderate sized woofers where the drivers are mounted virtually together. Here's a pic of Polk LSi7s used as rears in my HT:

PolkLSi7.jpg

As @HowlerMonkey stated you can have too much speaker for the room they are in. I'm considering passing along my Warfedale 90's. They sounded great in my last home, but my current living room is just to small for them. The dual 12" woofers are just too much.

Back
Top Bottom