The Best 6SN7 is actually a pair of 6J5-GT / 6J5-G / L 63

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by Dr. Ears, Jan 14, 2019 at 9:26 AM.

1. Dr. Ears

Dr. Ears New Member

IMG_5544.JPG
    I found that the previous generation, which contained only one triode per bottle sound better than 6SN7's. The 6SN7 was a tremendous cost and space saving innovation , but I step backwards in terms of music reproduction IMO.
    There are 6J5 + 6J5 = 6SN7 readily available on Ebay.
    Each of the variations equals exactly 1/2 of a 6SN7.

RUmad, sKiZo and Lavane like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Palustris

Palustris AK Subscriber Subscriber

If you like the 6J5, you can also try the 6P5 and 6C5 which are pin compatible and operationally compatible. The 6C5 is a 6J7 with a shield around the plate structure. Internally, the plate is connected to the screen grid making it compatible with the 6J5. The 6P5 is a 76 with an octal base. It has slightly lower Gm than the 6J5, but with its cylindrical plates has wonderful sound.

Leland47 likes this.
  3. Dr. Ears

Dr. Ears New Member

I tried 6C5's but preferred the others. I own a pair of 76's, do I need a different adapter to try them?

4. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

76 is a 5 pin tube, pre-octal style.

5. knockbill

knockbill Addicted Member

+1,,, I've been using 2x 6SF5s for builds that use a 12AX7,, they are dirt cheap, come with a shield, and are quiet... I'm sure metal 6J5s would be also...

RUmad likes this.
  6. Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil AK Member Subscriber

I've never seen one of those adapters before. Now I'm wondering if I had any 6J5s in my big bag of tubes that I got rid of last year.

7. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

Interesting ... I've been using a 6SN7 here to replace a 12AU7 using an adapter.

[​IMG]

Digging around the bay, I found a 12au7 = dual 6J5 adapter. It looks like it should fit in the space available, and after a close look at the adapter, I'd think I could turn the board 90 degrees if I had to ...

[​IMG]

PS ... if you're wondering about the "bowling trophy" look of my setup, I also had to use a socket extender to fit the 6SN7 adapter into the recessed socket. I just dressed it up a bit with a skirt.

8. zackthedog

zackthedog New Member

I think the 6C5 is a repurposed, triode-wired 6SJ7.

9. zackthedog

zackthedog New Member

Another option is the 6L5, a pretty little coke-bottle shaped tube like the 76. Octal base, gain of 17, nickel (?) plates, drops in pretty well if the circuit isn't too fussy. ;-)

10. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

11. kcline

kcline Tube Audio Collector Subscriber

Here the best of both worlds, a 6SN7 that is now a 6J5-GT. Only 1 side is connected. Test just like 6J5. DSCN0731.JPG DSCN0733.JPG

12. Lavane

Lavane AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've got 6 6j5's. 4 glass and two metal. They do sound really good. Supposed to be one of the most linear tubes around. Or so I've read.

13. Lavane

I finely got an adaptor and used a 6sn7 in place of the e80cc I was using. I like it. I still prefer the 12bh7's on the side though.
    20190114_133303.jpg

drtool likes this.
  14. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've got a Millett Starving Student headphone amp, the version modified to use 12AU7 tubes. How do the heater current needs and gain compare for these substitutions?

15. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

A 6SN7 pulls about twice the current of a 12AU7, so keep that in mind when considering it. I would assUme that would double again substituting a pair of 6J5 or equivalent. I've got good iron here, so no problem. You shouldn't have any problem going with a 6SN7 if you've got a newer kit, but I'd think twice if you've still got the stock iron as that was pretty borderline even with the stock setup. Your's looks to be a newer VTA, so you should be good.
    Lots of possibilities just in the 12AU7 family. Got a nice matched set of 5814's in the side channels on my ST120. Those would actually be a bit dark for my tastes, but I can get away with it using a brighter tube in my tube buffer/dac.

Looking like you have a three driver amp, and have gone with the paired 6J5's in both side channels and left the center driver using the 6SN7? I'm under the impression that the center driver will usually make the most difference?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 3:52 PM
  16. Lavane

I have the heavier power trany. I like the 12au7 clear tops, but they sounded a bit bright. Funny, because they sounded great in a preamp I had.

17. Lavane

Ya, make sure your headphone amp can supply the extra heater current needed for a 6sn7.

18. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

That's probably a no.

I'm running JAN 6829 tubes right now. I almost hesitate to mention them as they're great and cheap!

My previous favorites were some GE 5963s. I've tried Sylvania and Tung Sol 5963s as well but the GE and the JAN 6829s get the play time.

19. Dr. Ears

Dr. Ears New Member

The 6J5-GT's have a better bottom end because of the metal base. The 6J5-G's and L 63's have a better high-end, perhaps because of the miniature "ST" shaped bottle. All are better than any 6SN7 that I have heard.

20. primosounds

primosounds Powered with pure tube sounds. Subscriber

Why do you have to be such a spoil sport? Part of the wonder of tubes is finding out all the different variants that can be used in place of the current widely known tube. It is like panning for gold. Do you cut your own throat by stumbling into town crying "I've stuck it rich!" You may take a contrary view, but like gold, there is only so much of it out there.