The best I can do for now: M Jarve's system

M Jarve

Audio Geek and NGE Freak
Main system:

Musical Fidelity A3cr The solid-state preamp I've been looking for all along. With a power supply that would make many power-amps envious and a choke-filtered power supply this thing will output nearly 3 pure class-A watts into any load you like. Headroom, anyone? The preamp is wonderfully silent, and maintains a smooth, easy sound throughout the entire range. Added to it is a very flexible input array, simple, no-nonsense signal path (not even a balance control) and a more than good enough phono stage, and I finally have a solid-state preamp I can live with.

Emotiva ERC-1 I kind of took a chance on this unit, having given up my utterly reliable and musical Cambridge Audio Azur 640c. This is the only "brand new" component in the system. Emotiva is a young company, and they seemingly offer components at such a discount that many are suspicious that they're too good to be true. Truth is, while not quite on the same caliber of a Sony SCD-777ES (which I got to use for one night), it's a decent product for the price. Sound, which is what is most important, is relaxed and neither too bright or warm, with plenty of detail, and very "black" output.

Yamaha PX-2 / Benz Micro Silver A real-deal turntable setup of the linear-tracking kind. The PX-2 is nearly legendary for its performance, and the Benz Silver builds upon the budget giant-killer, the MC20E2-HO. Fed to the Musical Fidelity's in-built phonostage (set for MM carts) and it's a setup that really makes spinning vinyl a joy.

Sony ST-5950SD Sony's one-time TOTL tuner is likely the best performing tuner I've had yet. Living in something of a valley surrounded by RF-killing hills of taconite, tuners really need to standout for quietness and sensitivity in my area. Not many have made the cut, but the Sony is one of them.

harman/kardon hk775 For a long time, these compact monoblocks were my dream amp (of amps that I might actually one day obtain, anyways). Audio scrounger Extraordinaire doucanoe managed to, well, scrounge up a pair and I was setup. They've proven to be everything I had hoped and then some. If their power limitations are respected (a respectable 130-watts into 8-ohms, 260-watts into 4-ohms) they provide the best of real tube-like warmth and midrange with solidstate power and drive. So far, the only amp I've heard that's outperformed them retails for $6k and nearly doubles the power. Giant-killers indeed, and an excellent amp for tube people that don't want the fuss or expense of tubes.

Jarve-Falk Infinity Quantum 3 When it comes to speakers, I rarely can leave well enough alone. I don't merely tweak, but perform wholesale overhauls, usually keeping only the original drivers and something approaching the original specs. So it was with a set of perfectly good Infinity QLS-3's I procured. The new mirror-imaged cabinets were built out of a laminated HDF and plywood material of my own devising, with the internal volume slightly increased (allowing greater extension out of the Watkin's woofer) and the crossovers rebuilt and the entire setup made bi-amp/bi-wireable. Between the Watkins woofer and EMIT planar tweeter, not many speakers can compete with extension on either end. Sound is even and well balanced, and imaging is very good for such a large speaker, especially being used in near-field listening, as they are. But, they're the most power-hungry SOB's I've owned, being very low in sensitivity and offering the amp a very low impedance load.

-- Main system ancillary devices/tweaks --

Power conditioning The system has a dedicated circuit off the panel, recently upgraded to 30-amps, which is much more than needed and leaves plenty of headroom for larger or more amps. Power is filtered and isolated by use of a PowerVAR ABC-1600 power conditioner, rated for 1920VA (16-amps @ 120-volts). Power outlets are Cooper 20-amp green-dot (medical grade) receptacles.

Cables The power cable for the preamp is a DIY unit featuring 12/3 copper cable with Wattgate IEC and Edison plugs. Patch cable between CDP and preamp is a set of .5m Monster Cable M-series interconnects, M850i. Between the tuner and preamp is Black Rhodium Prelude .5m interconnect. I was first introduced to Black Rhodium when I won a set as part of an AK give-away, and was so impressed I bought 2 more sets on my own. They've been my long-time reference for interconnects. Feeding the h/k power amps are Monstercable Interlink 400 series cables measuring 2-meters. They offer decent performance, but in a more practical measure, they're the correct length for what I need. The input jacks on the h/k's were replaced with Cardas RCA jacks and they were internally re-wired with Cardas silver cable.
The speakers are bi-wired from the h/k power amps. For the lows, IXOS 11ga. Gamma-Geometry cable terminated with WBT spades and banana plugs. Highs get Carol 16/2 twisted pair terminated with VampireWire banana jacks on both sides.

Stand, rack, whatever The stand used is another DIY jobber, and is a straight-up "flexi-rack" made up of 5/8" threaded rod and 3/4" plywood. Nothing too fancy, and certainly made to order. It's stable and solid, even if it's not beautiful.

-- In the Wings --

This is stuff I can't bring myself to let go of, even if I have no particular use for them at the moment.

Yaqin MC-10L II This is the amp that made me fall in love with music all over again. A full-tube jobber using a class-A SRPP linestage and a classic ultralinear EL34 output stage, it stands still as the amp by which I judge all others. Pity that it's power output just is not adequate for the insatiable Quantum 3.

Onkyo Integra A-8190 I've found that having a decent solid-state integrated amp around is extremely useful, and the A-8190 is pretty good sounding to boot.

ADC T-2000E One of the few digital tuners I've come across that's made the grade. Not lovely, but a solid performer.

ADC CD-2000E The other ADC piece I kept from a complete set. A mid-grade, mid-1980's CD player, but with the same DAC as the Yamaha CDX-10000 (albeit a single one, bank switched), it uses a reliable Sony transport, and even if it's sound is less than high-end, it's a fine extra or backup unit.

Jarve-Falk Sub-Compact The most current DIY speaker project undertaken by Boy Wonder and I, 9 months in the going. Nothing high-end (garage-sale Foster drivers), but designed for high efficiency, excellent imaging, and great vocals. They win on all accounts.

Sounds like a well put together system with a lot of thought put into it. No pics??? :D

Great descriptions Mike. Nice to see you still have such a high regard for the Yaqin. I had the chance to hear it at Ron's place with Greg's Tylers and it was sweet. I debated getting one but decided on a pair of Magnepans for the living room and didn't think the Yaqin would have the horsepower to make the Magnepans do what they do.
After having giving up your Cambridge Audio Azur 640c would it still be a recommendation or would you opt for the Emotiva instead?

Great descriptions Mike. Nice to see you still have such a high regard for the Yaqin. I had the chance to hear it at Ron's place with Greg's Tylers and it was sweet. I debated getting one but decided on a pair of Magnepans for the living room and didn't think the Yaqin would have the horsepower to make the Magnepans do what they do.
After having giving up your Cambridge Audio Azur 640c would it still be a recommendation or would you opt for the Emotiva instead?

The Yaqin does pretty well with Magnepans, at least in a smaller room, and with my old MG I's. The load is no problem, but the relative inefficiency of the Maggies could be if you routinely listen at higher SPL's. Incidentally last spring at Ron's, we had my Yaqin setup with Greg's Tylers... It may have been my amp you heard. You should have been there the year before when I had it hooked up to the zero-9's, playing the drum test. There were more than a couple jaws that needed to be removed from the floor after that one.

Between the Emotiva and Cambridge (my Azur was the original (v1) incarnation), I would say it's pretty close to a tossup. Each does certain things better than the other, but for my purposes, the nod would probably go to the Emotiva. In particular, bass is a bit tighter, an overall, the sound a bit more relaxed and effortless. But, again, one must remember that that is comparing a 7 year old CD player with a brand new one.

Lots of brain-power gone into that! Your initial impressions and description of the Yaqin were in part influential in my decision to try the MC-100B. Like you, absolutely no regrets. Looking forward to the pics...

I was going to quip that pictures of all the components, individually, (save for the "rack") can be found by searching the site, but that would be unfair. Unfortunately, the pics I could take are pretty well limited, as I've been using the listening area as a single, large workbench, using the first available surface method of organization. Way too many projects going on at once, and, if you can believe it, I can't even sit in the chair, as it's stacked up with tools, parts, etc.

Nevertheless, these should get the idea across. Still, pictures with better detail and even nudies can be found on the site.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3009_ak.JPG
    IMG_3009_ak.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 1,456
  • IMG_3010_ak.JPG
    IMG_3010_ak.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_3011_ak.JPG
    IMG_3011_ak.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 1,859
I like the rack. Boy Wonder built?

Love those HK amps.
The rack was truly a joint effort. Bob cut wood and routed, I cut metal and drilled, we both sanded and assembled.

He's done his own version since then, which I'll try to convince him to post pics of. He also built a sand-filled TT isolation unit for his system, and I'm going to see if maybe he can't do the same for me.

I'll make sure the amps get down there the next time I get down there. Still have your speakers waiting in the corner as well...

Your set-up is looking pretty dang nice for a self proclaimed "best I can do for now" system, Mike :yes:

I'm also looking forward to hearing those HK amps at some point. Glad to know they got into the hands of someone that knows what they are and could breath new life into them like you have :thmbsp:

Is that Sony 5950SD the one that was pulled from the basement of audio doom also or is that a new one? Very nice tuners they are thats for certain.

RC

Your set-up is looking pretty dang nice for a self proclaimed "best I can do for now" system, Mike :yes:

I'm also looking forward to hearing those HK amps at some point. Glad to know they got into the hands of someone that knows what they are and could breath new life into them like you have :thmbsp:

Is that Sony 5950SD the one that was pulled from the basement of audio doom also or is that a new one? Very nice tuners they are thats for certain.

RC

I need to get with Bob, I think, and maybe start planning a trip down. Things have been well beyond hectic up here, and I could use a day away from it all.

That's not the 5950 you gave me, but your old one did donate some parts to the cause. Power regulator, dial/needle lights, and Dolby FM board are all from the old one.

Kewl stuff!
Are those Philips mids on the infinity? Didn't know they used them.
Indeed, they did, though in this case, it's used as a so-called mid-bass coupler, operating in a very narrow range between 200Hz and 600Hz (6dB/octave rolloff on either end), and is placed in a transmission line sub-enclosure. Also, if you didn't already know, the EMIT tweeters were not in fact Infinity- they're Peerless. I'm not certain as to who made the midrange dome (I have a suspicion it's Braun), but it's made in Germany.

Nice set up!!

As the owner of another mid-80's ADC player (CD-100X), they are surprisingly musical, IMO.

Steve

I have great respect for your opinion, Jarve. I am considering a Yaqin.
How is the Sony tuner re selectivity?

I need to get with Bob, I think, and maybe start planning a trip down. Things have been well beyond hectic up here, and I could use a day away from it all.

That's not the 5950 you gave me, but your old one did donate some parts to the cause. Power regulator, dial/needle lights, and Dolby FM board are all from the old one.

I know what you are saying. I haven't had much of a life (social or otherwise) beyond work since Christmas time.

I'm glad it worked out for donor parts anyway. I remember you saying that it was a bit of a mess inside so I was quite a surprised thinking it may have been the same tuner.

RC

I have great respect for your opinion, Jarve. I am considering a Yaqin.
How is the Sony tuner re selectivity?

Thanks indeed for the complement. I really cannot say much as to the selectivity of the Sony, as the stations are pretty well allocated around here- there's not much problem with one station crowding another. I could take it with the next time I go to the Cities and see how it performs down there. I can say that the specs quote an outstanding 85dB @ .4MHz.

Your set-up is looking pretty dang nice for a self proclaimed "best I can do for now" system, Mike :yes:...

That was my first thought. Very nice system, one to envy for all of us "scroungers" .:thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom