The best live Rock 'n' Roll album?

I dig Kiss, but these days the music seems more quaint than heavy. Some of it even has a Disco theme to it. Why didn't I notice this when I was a kid, maybe I did......... I'm just gettin' too darn old to remember it :dunno: Crap, I remember when K.C. and the Sunshine band was cool :cool:

At least someone mentioned Ted's "Double Live Gonzo!"
"Does any body here want to get mellow?!":D
I guess no one liked Cheap Trick's "Live at Budokan.":)

edit: and by the way, has anyone here sample the new live Led Zep cd?

A few good live albums worth listening to:
  • Jethro Tull - Bursting Out
  • Pink Floyd - Brain Damage
  • Eric Clapton - Unplugged

Chris

Originally posted by Reel 2 Reel

Grand Funk...Caught In The Act......The boys from Flint Michigan...40 miles south of here

in no particular order

Frampton Comes Alive
Who - Live at Leeds
Bob Seger - Live Bullet
Allman Brothers - The Fillmore Concerts
Jimi Hendrix - Live at Woodstock
Grand Funk - Caught in the Act

Reel 2 Reel, I agree, 'The Railroad' live is just killer

and a sleeper

The Doors - Live in Detroit

http://www.thedoors.com/bmr/detroit_01.html

absolutely super!!!!

p.s. I don't know if it counts as a live album but most of the cuts on it are:

U2 - Rattle & Hum

Last edited:
Glad to hear you have great taste in Rock.....far out!!!!

So...e2e4c7c5...where do you hail from?????no info in yer profile.....

Originally posted by Reel 2 Reel
Glad to hear you have great taste in Rock.....far out!!!!

So...e2e4c7c5...where do you hail from?????no info in yer profile.....

I live in the Dallas area but I grew up in northern Ohio, near Cleveland.
The best concert I ever went to was at The Palace at Auburn Hills in Feb '95, saw the Eagles there and the crowd stood from the very begining of the concert!! Just an awesome crowd. I can't remember if it was before or after the Michigan show but I also caught the Eagles at Grund arena in Cleveland around the same time and it took half the show before the crowd stood up.
The Michigan show was a much much better concert, crowd wise.
I was on the floor about 20 or 30 seats back both times. The Eagles put on a great show both times but I have soured on them a bunch after they(Henley & Frey)fired Don Felder!! WTF
:dunno:
So when Bob Seger has that little bit on the 'Live Bullet' about where he read in Rolling Stone magazine that the best Rock'n'Roll crowds are in Detroit "Sh!T, I've known that for 10 years!"
I have no doubts about that!!!:D

The Beatles: Let It Be , Live rooftop tracks. Procul Harem: Live with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra. A hearty second for Live Cream Vol.s 1&2,and Live at Leeds

Rattle and Hum doesn't 'officially' count as a live album IMO. Only 3 tracks out of 17 are live. Still a great album though.

I think I saw Cheap Trick - At Budokan mentioned before. Probably not the greatest ever, but it's pretty darn good. Great thread so far guys! Lots of good albums I'm gonna have to check out.

I cant believe I forgot about this LP...wore it out back in high school......"You Get What You Play For"!!!! - REO Speedwagon.......

Flyin' Turkey Trot...157 Riverside Avenue....you just can't beat it!!!!!!

Ah, a true Mid Westerner! I must of seen those guys half a dozen times back in the 70s.

"Ridin' the Storm Out" is pretty damn good too!

"Last song, people.........."

Yup ..it's a great song...too bad it was (is)overplayed..I cant stand listening to it no more

I like the deep album cuts off a lot of the Lp's and discs that I have...better that the popular cuts!!

R2R,

Good catch!!! Me=Duh
Being a vintage Midwesterner like Andyman seen those guys
many many times. Early on they were on the Champaign,Il bar band thing. The original lead vocalist put together another band
I loved and caught quite often--Starcastle.

And I agree the other album cuts are better than the overplayed.

An album I was just enjoying again last night comes to mind for clearity and precision of recording let alone good music. Kingfish Live and Kick'n. Everything comes through very clearly from the vocals, individual guitar strings to the harmonica and percusion. Excellent recording.

Great Album.

Any of the Old and in the Way albums. Partial to the original since it is on vinyl.

Jim

Jim:

I love that Kingfish LP!

I think it's somewhere around here on a cassette; now I gotta go dig for it!

Thanks for the mental kick start there!

Here's a few of mine (in no particular order)...

Allman Brothers - Fillmore East
Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus
Johnny Winter - Captured Live
Thin Lizzy - Live & Dangerous
Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush - Live
Band of Gypsys
Who - Live At Leeds
Gov't Mule - Live With A Little Help From Our Friends (box set)
James Gang - Live In Concert
Blue Oyster Cult - On Your Feet Or On Your Knees
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Winterland Vol. 1
Muddy "Mississippi" Waters Live

Best live albums

Love the thread, here's my thoughts -

- whoever said Kiss doesn't sound heavy today should go back and listen to the first cut of ALIVE, with the introducer and then "DEUCE" - nobody can say that's not heavy! That's a classic live lp. Kizz's later stuff wasn't so good though...

- I love the live introductions, and the other one I love is Cheap Trick, Live at Budokan ("AAHHLRIGHT TO-KEE-OH! ARE YOOO READY..FOR COLUMBIA RECORDING ARTIST......CHEAP TRICK!!!" )

if you ever want to get fired up just listen to that. A great l.p.

- I have to say The Eagles Hell Freezes Over has great sound quality, I have noticed that being played to demo speakers at Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto and the sound made me do a double-take.

- Love Springsteen's live box set and Marley and the Wailers Babylon by Bus is great. If you have the l.p. open it up and see what is says in fine print about what the record cover is good for doing!! Ha...

One I haven't noticed yet that I think deserves mention is Crosby, Still, Nash and Young - Four Way Street.

Great tunes as well as a message to an entire generation.

Listened to it again last night, it still sounds great.

During the days, I think I remember, we listened to it almost every day. Does anyone remember what happened to the petition?

Nothing like Ohio at extreme volumes. And what about Chicago. The song for Mayor Daley.

Jim

Last edited:
re: Springsteen box set

FWIW, I am not a big Springsteen fan (though my wife is), but the live set IS pretty good. The opening cut (Thunder Road), a great song anyway, is absolutely revelatory... gives me chills when I hear it.

Thanks for mentioning it.

I still hope y'all pick up a copy of "Waiting for Columbus", give it a spin, and report back to the class! :)

The two that top my list are John Hiatt "Comes Alive At Budokan?" and J.J. Cale "Live". Can never get enough of either one of these.

-Dave

I am so pleased to see so many listing Little Feat's "Waitin' for Columbus" with special mention of "Spanish Moon", my favorite track on a very strong candidate to be sure. I miss Lowell George...

One I have not seen mentioned that I think deserves consideration is Humble Pie's - "Performance - Rockin' the Filmore"
Some very strong tracks over this dbl album, culminating in "I Don't Need No Doctor". Excellent, pre-solo Frampton mixed with Steve Mariott vocals...

Back
Top Bottom