The best of Pioneer SX Receivers?

The SX 450-750 with it's counter part, SX 780 and below,Will fit into 99% of todays cabinets. ANY Sx line above those are beefy and will need a cabinet of at least 25" w&l to fit. The Sx 780 ( 45 wpc) and the Sx 750 (50 wpc) is a good deal any day of the week and will compliment speakers as small as the
Minimus 7w's or New large Advents.

My son who is 21 has been using a Sx 780 since high school, His friends look at that receiver and laugh.......Until he turns it on:yes::jawdrop: My personal favorite is the Sx750/ Sx 650. More then enough power and clarity to please.
without the worry of limited space. The Sx 750 though smaller then it's big brothers, Is one hefty receiver:yes: Be carefull when lifting.

I have the same problem with both my Kenwood KR-9940 and the Pioneer SX-1980, People ask why I dont have surround...then I show them. The power these put out totally amazes everyone.

good

I wouldn't get any gear that had vinyl coated plastic fake wood veneer. Pioneer's higher end gear (after 1972) had real wood veneer.

Excellent, just leave them for me.

It's weird how wood makes them sound better.

:D

Grab an SX-650. Cheap enough (see above) and more power and sound than you can use in a normal room.

Excellent, just leave them for me.

It's weird how wood makes them sound better.

:D

Grab an SX-650. Cheap enough (see above) and more power and sound than you can use in a normal room.

Exactly .......... I like wood as much as the next guy .......... but wood covered vinyl has no bearing whatsoever on the sound. :D

Let me put in a vote for the SX-828. I miss mine but my SX-780 tries hard to make me forget. :)

John

Which ever of those you can find cheap. Move up when if and when you can.

I did that! :D

I would decide more on condition over model. These old receivers can become a small nightmare to fix, plus there is plenty of unobtanium in them. ...

Wisdom. One of my 1050's sounded better than the other two. My 1080 was very dynamic, even on Maggies, which are not friendly to amps.

audiojones, my 1250 benches 190WPC so I'm not surprised at all. Better would be to compare it to the Adcom 585 sig II, since it's dual mono like the 1250.

I've heard every one of the SX's mentioned here, had a dozen off and on, but in the end kept the 1250.

Without question, the SX-1250 and the SX-1050 are the best. The SX-1280 and the SX-1980 have output modules that if they blow are unobtanium.
originals are unobtanium, however, there are suitable replacements that are available, if I'm not mistaken.

try finding the Euro equivalent, SX-5580(1050) or SX-5590(1250). They are nicknamed "blacksilver"

My 5590 is picture attached.

Attachments

• Picture 772.jpg
    Picture 772.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I did that! :D

Wisdom. One of my 1050's sounded better than the other two. My 1080 was very dynamic, even on Maggies, which are not friendly to amps.

audiojones, my 1250 benches 190WPC so I'm not surprised at all. Better would be to compare it to the Adcom 585 sig II, since it's dual mono like the 1250.

I've heard every one of the SX's mentioned here, had a dozen off and on, but in the end kept the 1250.[/Q

had many of the Sx's 750-780-737-727-1050 1980x2 and a few more I still have the 1250:music:

I would go with an SX-838, 939, 1010, or an SX-980. Honestly though, like alot of people said here, the whole SX line is amazing!

I was recently in this same exact situation and I arrived at my decision to seek out an SX-780 by using the following criteria: function/features, looks, availability, price, reputation, and reliability. I knew I couldn't afford a top end receiver so that capped it around an SX-980. I knew I like the looks of the SX-#50's and SX-#80's the best, so that narrowed it down more. I liked the look of the black-faced meters and toggle switches, so that narrowed my choices to a 780, 880, or 980. I then looked at all the functions and features available on those three models and I decided a 780 was the right mix for me. I found a very nice 780 on Craigslist, which I purchased for $75, and I could not be more pleased. Now I'm not suggesting you should buy a 780 because I bought one. Your criterion for choosing a receiver may vary from mine. What I'm suggesting is that you try the same process I tried, because I think you'll be much happier with your final selection. here is a great resource to get you started: http://www.silverpioneer.netfirms.com/receivers.htm

Good luck!

Somebody should have suggested that the OP spend a few bucks for an AK subscription and hit Barter Town. OR, since he's in CT, maybe there are some AKers up there who get together to swap junque. I would think the streets would be paved with receivers in that part of the country.

I have 2 780s and love em (one a free dumpster dive), and a 1250, which is not eligible for sale until pried from my cold dead fingers.

I have a mint SX 950 and liking more & more each day. I found mine at a thrift at a sick price less then a year ago. The sound seems less colored than my beloved 9090db. It certainly has impressed me. Good Luck :thmbsp:

I also have a SX 580 & SX 680 both work well.

Hello, my first receiver was the SX1250 and my neighbors hated it. I bought it while I was in the USAF at Harvey's Wharehouse in Columbia, SC. I bought it in 1978 and it must have been right when the 80 series was coming out because I still have both brochures in the folder that I keep all supporting documents

Gotta go with 780/790

Out of all the Solid STATE receivers I have, SX1010, QX,747A, QX9900, Sx790, Sansui 2000A, Fisher 500TX and a Realistic STA65C, I keep coming back to the SX790. It's got the right combination of style, functions, and power. Never have I had a unit that was so trouble free. Granted it's been recapped, but so has everything else. It acts like a unit 1/2 again it's size (power wise) and it's just so damn good looking. Re-did the cabinet in GUNSTOCK Stain, with Tung oil over it. The side panels are Solid Maple and the original top was stripped and sanded, stained and oiled.

100_1667.jpg

Last edited:
Try SX-636. I found it to be very musical with SX-737 close behind. My main rig is the SX-1250. My favorite for my bedside is the SX-780 with 2nd SX-780 for backup(880 sounds very close with more power-yes I have it too). I also use SX-1010 in my bedroom (not bedside though).

EDIT: By my bedside, I kept going back to SX-780 after trying other brands and models. 780 seems to be more detailed and easy on my ears along with the Polks for my bedside.

Last edited:
ok i personally love the black dial sx-x3x line myself. i have an sx-1010, my best friend has a sx-636, and my brother has an sx-950. i saved for about a month and a half to buy my 1010 (i just graduated from highschool last year and now shes blasting in my college dorm room). anyway, if i was going to buy a lower end model, i would buy the sx-737. it really annoyes me when there is only one button to the right of the tuning knob. the 737 is the only other one in that line with the 2 buttons besides the 939 and the 1010. they usually go for alot less than the x50 line because when new people think "awesome vintage pioneer", they think of the x50 line.

Back
Top Bottom