The best of the Infinity Forum from the Experts; start here!

cool thanks army, should be fun reading. tho i dont have the more desireable infinitys. i do like their sound.

Before HK got ahold of Infinity..these speakers not only sounded great, they had some of the best lines...beautiful looking...just one mans opinion

BTY: I own 8 pairs and still wanting more...wife hates it though..

i feel the wife thing,i have always been a panel guy(magnepan,accustat)
but i have heard many rs speakers and now I'm converted...
love my rsIIIb's..
the top end is almost as good as the ribbons on my maggies(IIIb)..

I have IIIA's, as much as I love them I think that midrange dome get overwhelmed at higher levels...

Attachments

• QLS_brochure _part_1.pdf
    856.6 KB · Views: 83
  • QLS_brochure _part_2.pdf
    719.3 KB · Views: 55
I have IIIA's, as much as I love them I think that midrange dome get overwhelmed at higher levels...
I agree, since all these Infinity models are the same mid-range dome and EMIT tweeter configuration, all the difference is in the bass, the woofers. The RS 4A/B model about maxed out the mid and tweeter in these. The RS 5 model is a bit under bass, but is a great HT speaker! The RS 6B does well with a single 8" woofer and the RS 5B about maxes out the bass to mid-high ratio for these. RS 7 uses a cone mid-range and the higher numbers were two-way speakers.

The RS 2A/B and all RS 1 speaker are another speaker altogether.

I hope I'm on the right page for this. I need questions answered about my Infinity reference studio monitors. I purchased them in 1983 and still use them for home studio recording. The Woofers were long since replaced with "Kicker" speakers that were matched up with the RMS specs and cabinet dimensions. I have the original mid and Emit tweeters. I want to to a cap job. I found the RSM crossover schematic. looks like 3 way 2nd order with crossover freq of 500 and 5000hz. However the actual crossover components in my enclosures are not the same value and wired differently from the schematic. For example, the schematic calls for a 6 uf cap and a .3mh inductor in the high pass. In my enclosure is 8.5uf (polyfilm I think) and 0.1 mh inductor. (It's labeled). Tweeter control is 2 ohm on the schematic but 5 ohm in my enclosure. I can't get an accurate croosover frq calculation with the CL combination because every calculator I find online ask for spker impedance and freq crossover only. Midrange is same way. Midrange has 2 inductors and 2 caps in my enclosure.. Both inductors in series with one cap (20uf 100v NP) between the inductors and negative terminal and the other cap (8uf 100v NP) paralleled on the midrange. Midrange control is 5 ohms like the schematic. The midrange schematic looks like it is using a LCR band pass going to a high pass filter to the midrange. My midrange is not wired like the schematic and the cap values are different. If I use a 2nd order crossover calculator my crossover points don't match the 500/5000hz crossover points Infinity says. The woofer has the 125uf 100v NP paralleled like the schematic. Don't know the actual value of the inductors. Is their a crossover calc that will use input LC values (as well as spker impedance) to give the crossover freq? Does anyone know if Infinity made a last minute crossover change prior to 1984 (RMS discontinued that year) and never published it? What caps would you recommend or should I "gut" the crossovers and put in what they show in the schematic?

There have been many instances where the Infinity crossover schematics online don't match what's actually in the speaker (Infinity was also infamous for making design changes during the production of a product). If it were me I'd keep the crossovers as originally designed and replace the caps with like values.

Does anyone know where the best place to get replacement caps for RS 3a's ???

You'd probably get better response if you made this a separate, stand alone question in this forum rather than in this thread that most people rarely if ever look at.

I’m posting here to hopefully save anyone from making the same mistake that I did. With the age of our infinity speakers being in play many owners have done modifications. In this case it’s a difference of $200 for an standard 12” IMG woofer and an $800 servo controlled one. Using eBay prices.
87F852AF-555E-45B5-831C-DB5B9608F4DC.jpeg
If you click on the picture you’ll notice there’s two different IMG woofers in these Kappa 9’s I purchased a few years ago from Craigslist. The owner had passed, I purchased them from his kids. Anyway after searching here and everywhere else I could find. I couldn’t figure out why those 2 woofers with the white rounds and silver strip with wires were glued to the voice coils. So I removed it all and installed new dust caps. Those woofers are Infinity Servo Controlled type from an IRS line of speakers. Had I known, I would have pulled them and set them aside, replacing them with standard IMG woofers. So here is a picture reference and I hope it will help if anyone comes across this.

Does anyone know where the best place to get replacement caps for RS 3a's ???
I'm about to rebuild the xovers for a pair of Infinity Reference Twos, and I'm getting my components from Parts Express. Good quality, decent prices.

If you call Infinity Support, you can talk to an actual human who will email you the schematic for your speakers.

Hello,

Im trying to find some Infinity QB, but while I was looking at many ads, I discovered there was some differences between the crossover on the QB or QBx. Some have a medium setting on the crossover, some have Medium and Treble and some don't have any of those.

Can you tell me what is the best setup for the QB ?

Infinity was notorious for making design changes during the manufacturing run of a particular speaker. Some AK members prefer to override their speaker's level controls if they have them, since they can be problematic in older speakers unless rebuilt or replaced, so having them is not necessarily an advantage.

Even in a vintage market with a large number of sellers, it's not like QBs are as common as say Advents or Minimus 7s. I'd look at any that come up, especially if you have an opportunity to audition them first. They are great speakers, and I'll think you'll be happy with any working set. Don't worry about what controls they have.

New Kappa 8 owner....
Have wanted for long time...

While I look for serious amp,
Hooked up to Denon x3600 AVR for now..
W/ HSU VTF15 sub..
Realistic LAB 400 tt..

Any amp recommendations under $1500?
20231104_153634.jpg

New Kappa 8 owner....
Have wanted for long time...

While I look for serious amp,
Hooked up to Denon x3600 AVR for now..
W/ HSU VTF15 sub..
Realistic LAB 400 tt..

Any amp recommendations under $1500?
View attachment 3027695

Short answer, Sunfire 300. It will drive them all day long without even getting warm. I'm using the same amp with my Kappa 9s in extended mode and it doesn't even break a sweat.

Short answer, Sunfire 300. It will drive them all day long without even getting warm. I'm using the same amp with my Kappa 9s in extended mode and it doesn't even break a sweat.
Thank you..
Q. Would there be any issue using Preouts from Denon AVR to Sunfire?

Back
Top Bottom