The Best Sounding 5 or 6 Tray CD Player!!

Scottsmrnyc

Scottsmrnyc
I am looking to buy a really good 5 or 6 tray Cd player. By really good, I mean in terms of cyrstal clear sound! Sound with good definition and good bass. I do not like a neutral sounding sound! The problem with the high end Cd players and transports are that they only take one at a time and you always got to get up a change the cd. I do know that McIntosh makes one transport that can store tons of Cds on it, but I am not sure that I want to spend all that money! Could anyone please help me out here!

Thanks Scottsmrnyc

Rotel RCC-1055. 5 disc tray, Burr-Brown DA, HDCD decoding, built like a tank.

Their RCC-955 is also very,very good and easy to find under $200.

I use a Japanese NAD 5170 6-magazine. It plays most burnt discs without issue and has a digital out which is nice but as far as comparing it to others couldn't say.

I use a Japanese NAD 5170 6-magazine. It plays most burnt discs without issue and has a digital out which is nice but as far as comparing it to others couldn't say.

I'd say get any multi-disc player you like that has a digital out and use the DAC you find the most musical to your ears. That's what I do and its great. :music:

I'd say get any multi-disc player you like that has a digital out and use the DAC you find the most musical to your ears. That's what I do and its great. :music:

Hi Loren, thanks for the input. I think mating a good transport and choice of outboard DAC is probably the optimum solution. But, I tend to strive for realism in reproduction (thus the basis for my signature).

Hi Loren, thanks for the input. I think mating a good transport and choice of outboard DAC is probably the optimum solution. But, I tend to strive for realism in reproduction (thus the basis for my signature).

That's is why Yamaha's tagline is Natural Sound.

But I do have one of my CDPs routed through a DAC and a tube pre-amp.

Striving for realism is a nice goal, but if you are on a budget then improving the part that changes the dots and dashes into electronic waveforms will give you the biggest improvement. :yes: From my understanding most multi-disc players transports are a bit of a compromise compared to single disc players.

Striving for realism is a nice goal, but if you are on a budget then improving the part that changes the dots and dashes into electronic waveforms will give you the biggest improvement. :yes: From my understanding most multi-disc players transports are a bit of a compromise compared to single disc players.

Hi Loren, what I meant to say is realism is where it's at for yours truly, a choice that's surprisingly unpopular despite the fact it was originally the goal behind the audiophile genesis. Acheiving the resemblance of reproductive realism is a state which I beleive can be had on a very modest budget. I like to refrain from using most of the popular adjectives (like those in my signature) when describing the quality & quantity of reproduced sound. I wouldn't even own a sound system if I could have any live band of choice in my living room at the snap of a finger.

Some old timey CD players are so well made that with reconditioning, and paired with an accurate outboard DAC, they can read and transmit up the chain bits of information off the media without altering it.

Sorry for reviving an older thread but this is exactly what I am looking for. So far I am leaning towards Adcom, Rotel, Yamaha or Denon. Any additional model input, to what has already been posted, would be appreciated.
Also don't know if I am going to spend no more than $250, should I be looking at a new model.
I have a sony 701es which has been perfect since new and sounds great for a changer imo.
Thanks in advance.

CD Changers

I have a Marantz CC-65SE,Special Edition changer and a Nakamichi MB-3. I prefer the Nakamichi as the Marantz can sometimes be sibilant and harsh on some material. Somehow, the Nak smoothes the same passages out. The Marantz does have a digital output which could eliminate this problem by using a better DAC. The Nak does not have a digital output. Nak models MB-1 and MB-2 do have digital outputs. Just my two cents.

I think the best CD changer is the McIntosh unit which used the Nakamichi MusicBank mechanism. It holds 6 discs. Sounded nice. You might be able to get a nice one secondhand reasonably.

Back
Top Bottom