The Best Sounding 5 or 6 Tray CD Player!!

Consider a Yamaha changer

If you are after reliability as well as sound quality, get a Yamaha,
I have an old Yamaha CDC 555 that is still going strong, two members of my family have Yamaha changers, both of which went for over 10 years of hard party use.

I sold many Yamaha changers when hifi retail in the 90's, nearly all went out and stayed out.

Sound quality, well that is in the ear of the beholder.

The units here all work well & sound good, all are used with their digital outputs into DACs:

Denon DCM-444 6cd
Pioneer CLD-M450 5cd (reliability unknown at this point)
Nakamichi Music Bank 7cd
Sony ES 200cd

je

California Audio Labs CL-10 was a nice one. It's getting a little long in the tooth now but still a nice deck.

RC

Denon

Here's a great deal for you Denon dcm 560 ...5cd carousel . Cheap on the used market ( $50.00 ) comes with remote control . It sounds great...better than my high end single player. I have had it for almost 15 years now with no trouble at all....Liked it so much I bought another as a spare. :music:

I've got a couple of the Nakamichi MB2 players. Mine do burnt and have a variable output so pre may be optional. One of the quickest changers around.

Had a sony 5 disk with the 1bit DAC (mash technology, ???) that required opening the case frequently to retrieve my disks...what a POS!
Wifey got tired of being without a CD and said "just go buy one" (he, he, he). So I picked up a Denon DCM290 with a 24bit DAC and have been quite satisfied with both the sound and transport. My receiver only sports RCA so fancy connects are but only a dream at this point. Not the bestest multi player on the market but for the price I'm a happy guy. Front panel controls are a bit difficult to see in subdued lighting but that's why they make remotes, right?

I've got a Nakamichi MB2s as well and I like it more than my Sony CDP-c705. I hear the Nak transport is used the McIntosh (big$$) changer.

I've got a Nakamichi MB2s as well and I like it more than my Sony CDP-c705. I hear the Nak transport is used the McIntosh (big$$) changer.
And I do like my McIntosh MCD205. It's a great mechanism. The only disadvantage is that you can't swap out non-playing CDs as you can with a carousel while one CD is playing.
To address another recommendation on this thread: I owned a CAL CL-5 and a CL-10. Very nice sounding machines, but a bear to get serviced - especially since CAL no longer exists.
The MCD205 blows the CAL units out of the water :D.

HI Loren, I've got a Yamaha CDC-655,nice unit,sounds good,also just bought a Denon DCM-370,nice,:yes: sounds good. I like the Denon a little more thou. Can't go wrong with either one.:yes:

Yamaha CDC 765. I got it for trade on 15 minutes of caulking labor, sounds great for what I use it for.

Scott

hey, OP, what did you end up doing?

I am looking to buy a really good 5 or 6 tray Cd player. By really good, I mean in terms of cyrstal clear sound! Sound with good definition and good bass. I do not like a neutral sounding sound! The problem with the high end Cd players and transports are that they only take one at a time and you always got to get up a change the cd. I do know that McIntosh makes one transport that can store tons of Cds on it, but I am not sure that I want to spend all that money! Could anyone please help me out here!

Thanks Scottsmrnyc

Just out of curiosity, what did you end up getting? Enquiring minds want to know...

Hey I want to thank everyone for this thread. With my Magnavox and Phillips
both getting cranky I am looking. Sony and Denon.
There are a couple of Denon players that do DVD-CD-DVDA-SACD.
I am seriously thinking abut upping my budget and getting one of these puppies.
(Instead of the ones from the eighties that I've been looking at)

I've got a Denon DCM260 that I bought new in the mid 90's. Plays burned discs and sound really nice

I have a Yamaha CDC-835 that I dont really use except for a party on the patio but its a great player plus it has internal remote control for volume so its great to go direct to amp. It is a really well built unit, overkill for a party twice a year but hey what the hell lol.

In the late 1980s and early 1990s, Yamaha had several CDC-8xx players that were TOTL in the USA, all boasting excellent specs. I found an old brochure on the CDC-845 with the following impressive specs...

- Class A buffer amp
- THD + noise = 0.002% (1kHz)
- Dynamic range: 100db
- S/N: 118dB

I have used the Adcom GCD700 for years but it skips all the time now so I'm due for something else. I think it sounds good and I also like the sound of the Rotel cd players.

I've owned a bunch of consumer-range 5 CD players and the Yamaha's in my opinion have the best sound. The Sonys are good as well. My Technics 'Mash' player isn't so hot. The biggest problem is reliability as something is always breaking down. I have about 6 or 7 of these right now and only one is working 100%. All the others have one problem or another whether it be intermittent or a show stopper and I keep them around for parts mostly.

I have a bunch of singles as well with the early 90's Akai I picked up at goodwill for $5 being the best sounding one. I have a Nikko which is tinny and thin sounding as well as a very cool (and high end for the time - 1983?) Toshiba which doesn't sound so great compared to newer players with more advanced D/A conversion. Some of the slightly newer DVD players sound good... and they will allow you to play other digital formats as well. Oh and I have one Pioneer 100+1 carousel which just came with a deal for a bunch of gear (where the seller wouldn't break it up) and despite the inconvenience of 100 cd tray, you can also use it as a single player and it sounds pretty decent too.

Back
Top Bottom