The best sounding Preamp i own is a.. 9090DB ? How would a AU sound

freQ(*)Oddio

I am thinking about getting a AU model Integrated amp to use for a pre amp in my system, would it sound as beautiful as the 9090db. I recently sold my new pre amp, that was purchased to replace the Sui, i used the new one for a year and for fun plugged the sui in and I want this sound back, but want to free up this receivers duties as just a pre amp. Is there a pre amp or integrated model in the $700 range that will give me this sound. The sound stage, and layers of music sound so amazing with this Receiver. Wattage is not important i have the power amps, i like a midrange control for sure.

s-l640.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg

These can be obtained quite cheaply, I don't know why they don't seem to go for much as they are very good - as to whether one would deliver the sound you are after is another matter.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/sansui-2101-ultra-high-quality-pre-21238497

images

I noticed the C-2101 Pre-amp and matching power amp B-2101 for sale at $500 Canadian in an expired advert.

The later, very similar model C-2102 is similarly priced. I have the C-2102 // B-2102 pair, they sound great together.

The CA-F1 is another possibility, but too rare to be a contender I think.

Last edited:
Will vouch for the 2101, although it has a couple of potential gotchas:

1. The source switching is routed through relays that - at this age anyway - seem develop problems with passing a clean signal reliably. Only solution is to replace the relays.

2. This is a minor quibble, but it bugs me. The source selection on the C-2101 is done via logic controlled buttons. As such, there is no memory for what was selected prior to power off. Therefore, it defaults to the tuner input being selected at power up every time. Older pre's still used mechanical source selection (rotary or ganged pushbuttons usually) and thus held whatever source was selected unless changed by the user. Like I said, a minor issue but one that I've found annoying.

Aside from that, and the distinctly 80's look (all matte black with gold printing) which isn't bad, but may not be to everyone's liking, it is a very good pre in terms of capabilities and sound quality. And it is still a sleeper in terms of price.

I have mine mated to a B-2101, SE-88 eq and an RA-1000 reverb. Yeah, I know the prevailing opinion on reverb amps, but it's there for looks since it matches this line of components and was part of a pile of gear I got cheap enough that it was worth hanging onto just for the visual spice it adds.

I have seen a many au 517 and 717s for a decent price, how do they compare to others. never mind, no midrange control

C-2101 has no midrange control either, though it is equipped with a 2 band parametric EQ in lieu of a conventional bass/treble setup. I've found it entirely adequate, and can use the EQ (SE-88 is a 14 band computer controlled EQ) to tweak any further as needed. Of course, these days equalizer is largely considered a dirty word, and I know many will not use one in deference to maintaining sonic purity.

I have no such reservations, and make judicious use of them in most of my systems, mostly to compensate for room deficiencies, or slightly deadish spots in the response of speakers being used.

I can personally recommend the AU-5500. It has midrange controls, can be split into pre and amp, and sounds very nice. I had a 9090, and I preferred the sound of my AU-5500. No idea how the 9090 compares to the 9090DB.

I have seen a many au 517 and 717s for a decent price, how do they compare to others. never mind, no
Why do you need a midrange control, most equipment other than these units don't have one either. Bass and tremble covers it all, and the mid range control is kinda redundant, not to mention your signal is going through more filters that you can't by-pass. The AU-717 has a defeat for any EQing as well as selected frequency range plus bass & tremble, along with a sub-sonic filter.

Sansui-AU-717-1.jpg

BTW what's your power amp?
I am using a class Ab Parasound 2250, I found a AKer with a ca 2000 in my $700 price range that lives within a 4hr driving distance , real excited . The 1- 1.5khz mid area is important to me , with horns and guitars to come forward, just a click forward from flat makes a nice diff in my system, I tried bass and treble preamps and just cant always find the spot. But they werent a Sansui. So it looks like a AU integrated could also work.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I really like the parametric sound control on the C-2101/2. It allows “tunable” control (what band and bandwidth).

The AU-919 allows bypass of not only the tone controls but the preamp altogether although not what the OP asked for. Has MC Phono stage too FWIW.

Cheers,
John

Back
Top Bottom