The best sounding venue you have ever heard!

hornertuber

macgyver
Last night I had the pleasure of seeing Puscifer at the Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) and was floored by how great it sounded. I have been to just about every concert hall and venue in greater NYC but BAM was one of the few that eluded me. It was one of if not THE best sounding venue I have ever been to.

Looking at their calender I see I missed Kronos Quartet in Sep. Never going to forgive myself for that one it must have sounded phenomenal. Carnegie Hall in Feb will have to do.

Anyway it make me wonder what the best venues you guys with your vast experiences thought were the best sounding. Both acoustics and PA. :music:

viewdocument.aspx

Last edited:
Last night I had the pleasure of seeing Puscifer at the Brooklyn Academy of Music

Wow that does sound like a pleasure. If that is a picture of the room I hope Maynard wore something nicer than just longjohns.

The best sounding rock show I've seen was Soundgarden at RedRocks. No ceiling so I guess it's not really a room.

Going from all of the venue's that I've been to, this one tops the list of best venues, no doubt about it:

Ryman Auditorium

Ryman_.jpg

OP_AttractRyman02_lg.jpg

I've always liked Massey Hall in Toronto. Opened in 1894 and in it's current state seats around 2800. Great acoustics which probably plays a big part in the fact I've seen my best concerts there.

attachment.php

Neil Young recorded live there in 1971 and a good pressing of that album on a good system gives you a great sense of that room's acoustics - a fantastic performance, well recorded and in the perfect space. The experience of listening to an Lp like this is the reason I have the system I do.

Attachments

• MasseyHallToronto1.jpg
    MasseyHallToronto1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 842
  • Neil_Young_-_Massey_Hall_1971_(2007).jpg
    Neil_Young_-_Massey_Hall_1971_(2007).jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Eadio City Music Hall, 1974. Was 17, saw the Rockettes-Was transfixed. Another one was Tennessee Theater in Knoxville-Saw Junior Brown there Jan 2000. DAMN good show-He & his wife played staight for 2 hours, & he was rockin' as hard at the end as at the beginning.

One World Theatre in Austin. Probably only seats a few hundred people, not a bad seat in the house. I've seen a couple of concerts there and was really impressed with the sound.

btw Hajidub: Red Rocks in Colorado. Dave Matthews released a live album from there, U2 had a video or 2 years ago, it's a fairly weel known venue. I was stationed in Denver in the US Military and saw a bunch of shows there. It's the best venue I've ever been to as far as atmosphere and experience. IIRC there are sts of huge rock formations on either side of the seating like you'll see in the pic at the link. I don't remember the sound all that much to tell you the truth.

http://www.redrocksonline.com/

Last edited:
I'll nominate the outdoor venue I heard a good many shows at- Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD. Outside is better, for sure.

Lyric Theater, a nearly acoustically perfect opera house in Baltimore for Genesis, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, and The Park West in Chicago for a seventies Tom Waits performance, both stunning

Last edited:
I've always liked Massey Hall in Toronto. Opened in 1894 and in it's current state seats around 2800. Great acoustics which probably plays a big part in the fact I've seen my best concerts there.

attachment.php

Neil Young recorded live there in 1971 and a good pressing of that album on a good system gives you a great sense of that room's acoustics - a fantastic performance, well recorded and in the perfect space. The experience of listening to an Lp like this is the reason I have the system I do.

+1

Saw Zappa, Mahavishu Orchestra, and Todd Rundgren there 73/74. Great venue, one of the best, besides the Horseshoe Tavern on Queen Street :D

The Capitol Theater, my home town. Built in the 20's and torn down for a new court house. I think the seating was for 600.
I seen Shawn Phillips at this venue in the early 80's, solo with no electrical amplification. Not only was Shawn floored with the acoustics, so were we all in attendance.

Attachments

• 6333_127750416219_604196219_2947993_5606282_n.jpg
    6333_127750416219_604196219_2947993_5606282_n.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 26
  • Capitol Theater.jpg
    Capitol Theater.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 6333_127750406219_604196219_2947991_4919951_n.jpg
    6333_127750406219_604196219_2947991_4919951_n.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Orchestra Hall in Detroit (opened 1919), home of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, is rumored to be "acoustically perfect" without a bad seat in the house. I have sat in nearly every seat in the place and it is perfect - you can hear everything everywhere.

Wow such form from function beautiful venues. I get complacent sometimes having so many famous venues around I forget its nothing in the grand scheme of great places to listen to good music.

I agree about BAM. I saw Pete Townshend do Psychoderelict there many moons ago when I was bohemian artist slogging it out in Brooklyn in the bad old days of the Dinkins administration.

Best sounding... I saw Squeeze at the Bronco Bowl in Dallas back in the 80's and that still is the best sounding concert I have ever heard, and I've heard many.

Hammersmith Odeon, London, England. Saw many concerts there in the mid to late '70's. The Albert Hall, also London, just good sounding and spectacular-looking. The Los Angeles Sports Arena...OK, the last concert I attended there was Pink Floyd in about '89, but did it sound great. Worst....Wembley Stadium, London, and The Coliseum, LA.

Another vote for Massey Hall. I remember seeing Gordon Lightfoot on stage there. Just him and his guitar. Felt like a tiny and intimate venue.

Back
Top Bottom