The best tuner ever

I got my R-390A/URR for free. :D I discovered it in the back room of the electronics shop at the high school I attended. At the time, I had no exact idea of what it was, but it looked pretty substantial, and the mechanical-digital tuning intrigued me. Also present in the back room was an R-392/URR, which I could tell was related, and an R-48/TRC-8, which was an oddball VHF receiver. When I asked the instructor about them, I was told that they didn't work, and not to bother with them. :(

After I graduated, I kept thinking about those receivers, especially when I heard that the school was being renovated. I paid several visits to my old shop, periodically inquiring about the receivers. Finally, in early 2003, during yet another visit, my old instructor asked me, "Hey Adam, do you want these old radios? :banana: I loaded all three of them in the back seat of my Dodge Spirit, which somehow survived the trip home with ~300lbs of radios loaded in it (plus me and a friend).

I soon had the R-390A sitting on my workbench, where I began preliminary inspection after downloading manuals and other info. Having heard things about the 3TF7 ballast tube being a trouble spot, I inspected it closely, and though it looked good at first, I soon spotted a small gap in the iron wire filament. I ordered a replacement on eBay ($30), replaced some trouble caps, and restuffed the filter cap cans. After everything was finished, I brought it up on my variac, and soon began to hear signals! Gotta love the simple fixes.......... ;) Here are some pictures of the R-390A, as well as the R-392 (which wasn't as easy a fix):
r390a_front.jpg

r392_front.JPG

an_crm-114.jpg

I’ve owned several tuners. Yamaha T-80, T-85, T-1, & T-2. A Scott 350 (A). Nakamichi 630 and 430. They all sounded great with the T-2 probably the most musical sounding. Recently picked up a Yamaha CT-7000 and once I rebuilt the PS and added an external antenna about 23’ up, I have to say it must be one of the finest sounding tuners ever? Certainly top 5?

i have a bunch of tuners...NAD 4020...NAD 402...Fisher fm 50 B....Fisher R 90 mono...Cyrus tuner...But my best sounding is my Leak Troughline mono run into a Fisher MPX 100 decoder...blissful sound but ,the big but...you need a great antenna.

Sansui TU919, Marantz 120b, Marantz Marantz 150, 2110 Marantz 2120 Marantz 2130, Marantz 18, Scott tube analog horizontal tuner, Fisher Am80 tube, Fisher101r Tube, Scott 135 multiplex, Macintosh mr55, Eico AmTuber, McKay Dymeck, Bogen tube dual am fm, Trio tube tuner

Pick One

Well I guess the best one is the one you own , FM broadcast has been a integral part of my system for 40 years and quality over the air live broadcast there is nothing can touch it for sound quality , Having owned serval FM tuners my short list ( and I’m only speaking for myself ) was a Accuphase T100 early 1980s into 1990s replaced by a Accuphase T109 then 2005 a Sansui TUx1 which I currently use today .

For some reason, I have a habit of picking up used tuners which I think are somewhat interesting or have a good rep. I spent next to nothing on any of these, but it's kind of cool to have all of them in one place:

Dynaco FM-1
Dynaco FM-5
Dynaco AF-6
Pioneer TX-9100
Pioneer TX-1000D
Marantz 120

The Marantz is probably the most interesting because of the o-scope, but I have a special appreciation for the TX-9100 because it is very sensitive and has good limiting at low signal levels. Too bad OTA broadcast quality has declined so much in the last 20 years.

I had an updated FM-3 long ago. It was my gateway drug to tube tuners but noisy on my favorite station. Nowadays I listen mostly to a McIntosh MR 71 but have more shootouts planned. "Best" tuner is like "best car"; it depends on many factors.

Well I guess the best one is the one you own , FM broadcast has been a integral part of my system for 40 years and quality over the air live broadcast there is nothing can touch it for sound quality , Having owned serval FM tuners my short list ( and I’m only speaking for myself ) was a Accuphase T100 early 1980s into 1990s replaced by a Accuphase T109 then 2005 a Sansui TUx1 which I currently use today .

A friend had a TU-X1 he found at a pawn shop for $200 in the mid '90s. Great tuner, very sensitive. Very listenable mono fm over 120 miles away with his yagi (Memphis station, friend in Starkville). Good days listenable in stereo. Huge size stunned me - he had a TOTL Kenwood Integrated that was quite large but the tuner edged it out in size. Made me want one for years, but not now... too big. And no remote. Cool presets on that analog beast. Nice tuner, Wizzer.

Musichal , The TUX1 sure is a beast and nothing I’ve ever owned comes close to its dominant size , it’s still pumping out great FM sound .

Back
Top Bottom