The Big Easy

Vacation !!! We're planning on a few days in New Orleans. Jazz (of course) and food are on the agenda. Any recommendations for good CD or LP shops? What about decent audio salons? Thanks in advance for recommendations.

Ah, New Orleans

NOLA.com is a good online resource for info about New Orleans. I grew up there, so I should know ;-).

Good record shops, the first two are in the French Quarter on Decatur Street:

Louisiana Music Factory.

Rock N Roll Collectibles -- tons of vinyl, be sure to haggle over prices, b/c they are inflated for the tourists. Usually run by knowledgeable folks.

Jim Russell Rare Records -- tons of vinyl, especially old Doo Wop, RnB. Not well organized. On Magazine Street near where it meets Camp Street.

Tower Records and a Virgin Superstore in the French Quarter.

There are usually one or two punk/alternative shops further down Magazine Street -- they come and go.

Radio stations: WWOZ 90.7 for jazz and New Orleans music, WTUl 91.7 for alternative, jazz, etc.

Audio salons? Try Alterman Audio and Wilson Audio in Metairie. There's a boutique shop in the French Quarter that sells nosebleed stuff (Thor Audio, etc.) whose name I can't recall.

Food: Liuzza's, Drago's, Uglesich's, The Camelia Grill, Mother's, DiMartino's (be warned: a lot of French Quarter restaurants add a 10% tip fee to bills without telling you)

Drinking: The Bulldog, Dos Jefes, Cooter Brown's

Bars/music clubs: The R Bar, Circle Bar, Snake and Jake's, Howlin' Wolf, Tipitina's Uptown

Back
Top Bottom