The Byrds- "Untitled"

Toasted Almond

RIP 1952-2016
I never start threads in this section, but this old album deserves it. I bought this two lp set when it came out in the early 70's. One album is live, the other studio. The whole thing fit onto 1 cd, and I bought that when it became available. I'm not a big Byrds type freak, but the live stuff is great. The album cover gave no clue as to where or when it was recorded, but the band line-up was Roger McGuinn guitar, Clarence White guitar, Skip Battin bass, and Gene Parsons drums. There is a 13 minutes or so long version of 8 Miles High, that was recorded great. This is some of the deepest electric bass I have ever heard. It was a great sounding album, and the cd transfer is okay too. The guy Clarence White can really play the guitar, and McGuinn is no slouch with a little prooding from him. When the vocals finally come in at the end of 8 Miles High, you can really get a feel for the auditorium or hall that it was recorded in. The name of this beauty is "Untitled".

Almond, Toasted/MSgt, USAF

TA:
That is one great LP! I'm not sure if I picked up a copy or not (I've got to got through the stacks later), but I remember playing the daylights out of that back in the 70's, especially the studio side. "Chestnut Mare" is a definite flashback memory!

Another great LP from the same time (well, there are billions) is the 2 LP set from Taj Mahal. I think it's called "The Real Thing". One side is live at the Fillmore and features some nice TUBA on a cut "You ain't No Streetwalker, Mama, but Yo' Sho Know How to Strut Yo' Stuff" (I think).

I just did a quick look through the LPs and didn't find "Untitled". It sure is sad when I dig through all these great old LPs and see what's there. Anyone who grew up in the late 60s/early 70s sure got spoiled by some tremendous music and some tremendous equipment to hear it on.
________
Kitchen Measures

Last edited:
Byrds Preflyte Sessions is also a gem,plenty of outtakes and alternate cuts.
Just as a side note The Byrds version of Tambourine man on my neighbors little record player in 1964 was the start of my music collecting odyssey.

with apologies to Toasted,not trying to hijack your thread!!

Best

Alan

I think right about the same time I bought that Byrds lp, couple months in either direction, I think I picked up Live Cream Vol. 1,
the first Little Feat album "Little Feat", and a couple other real smokers that don't come to mind (Nice mind huh? It's shot.) Talk about a great time for sounds.

Love to someday just for the hell of it find out where and when that Byrds live show took place. Folks got their moneys worth that night. Andy, most people from then will recognize Chestnut Mare, but never came close to that album. "Lover of the Bayou" and "Mr. Spaceman" from the live sides are hot too. That album is a true nugget.

Alan, hijack all you like! Like I said, I was never a real Byrds freak, but that live show was cool. I think I have The Byrds Greatest Hits on cd, but that's about it.

Almond, Toasted/MSgt, USAF

On your recommendation TA, I picked up 'Untitled' tonight for $6 in excellent condition. Too late to listen to it now, but I'm looking forward to listening to it tomorrow when I can crank it up a bit.

I listened to 8 Miles High many times in the 60s as well as being 8 miles high myself many times.
:rockon: :guitar: :rockon: :guitar:

Originally posted by Andyman
TA:

"Another great LP from the same time (well, there are billions) is the 2 LP set from Taj Mahal. I think it's called "The Real Thing". One side is live at the Fillmore and features some nice TUBA on a cut "You ain't No Streetwalker, Mama, but Yo' Sho Know How to Strut Yo' Stuff" (I think). "

Concur on the "Untitled" recommendation. A footnote: the Taj is in fact The Real Thing, (1972--the Fillmore side performed Feb. 13, 1971) and if you want to hear a four-part smoking tuba break listen to Taj's rendition of the Blind Willie Johnson tune "You're Going to Need Somebody on Your Bond."

Funny you should mention the Untitled Album as I just received it last week from Amazon. The cd quality is sooooooo much better than my vinyl copy without all the pops and scratches throughout.
That show was one of the BEST concerts I was ever at. They played and recorded it at Queens college and then the next nite we again saw them at CW Post. I remember Roger babbling at the mike at one point and Clarence walking over and pulling him away so they could keep playing. LOL!!
The passing of Clarence White was a sad day indeed for the music world. Fortunately he left us with alot of his recordrd stuff.

During this period, the Grateful Dead were at their peak. Their constant touring and recording of live shows has produced some of the best sounding live recording ever. Skull and Roses was taken from the 71 Fillmore East week marathon, to be followed by Europe 72, still one of the best produced DC's around.

Lastly, my oldest friend just dropped off the DVD of Cream's Farewell Concert. Royal Albert Hall 11/26/68
Hope my SVS can handle Jack Bruce and those Marshall Majors.

Natch
:sing:

Royal Albert Hall

Mister Natural has some digital gold. Too bad there is a younger crowd whos ears have been deprived of the ultimate live jam band CREAM by the controlled musical enviornment of modern FM radio and MTV. I think many people today agree that modern music broadcast formats are over controled and redundant, if not just plain booring. Anyhow I did not know the Royal Albert Hall stuff was out,. I would love to have a copy of that. Bigtime!! I have been teased a time or two with video clips on different Clapton TV specials. Same with Blue Cheer. Another "ultra heavy" late 60s band so well hidden by time and the Production Nazis. I would love to hear Cheer live. Sorry if I changed topic everyone...:D

Back
Top Bottom