The Capacitor Abyss-yes, can it get any better?

We should recap the power supply though! I got a new Hakko soldering station. Who's with me?

Won't need to do that for about five billion years, though.

I hope you're going to do that rebuild with one of those giant Ungar tips for the old-fashioned irons. Gonna otherwise take a while to heat up...

The Elna company hired a Roman for their capacitor called Silmic II (in about 10 years we will have Silmic III and IV).

From the datasheet: "all lead wires oxygen free copper" , so whether it is lead wires containing copper or Roman copper wires containing lead, I have no idea.

Seems I recall the Barn (a measure of cross sectional area of an atom) was so named by atomic physicists joking about the particle accelerator not being able to
'hit the broad side of a Barn'. Or, it was named after a physicist named Barn, I don't know. :dunno:

The Brits have some great old ones, like the Butt, a measure of volume.

Furlongs per fortnight is one of my favorites for measuring speed. :biggrin:

The unit for capacitance is the farad so 'anti-capacitance'= the Conrad(s)? :D

Last edited:
Great list of obsolete measurements. It seems like the Pennyweight was expressly designed for tracking force- 1.555 grams. They ignored a lot of depreciated units like the micron (1 micrometer). In spite of that, everybody in my business has been using microns for decades and shows no sign of stopping. We're pretty fond of angstroms too. As for anti-capacitance, we already have the Henry. Unlike matter and anti-matter, if you put them together they rarely explode, just resonate.

The State of Missouri (and many others) was first surveyed in Chains. There was a standard chain used for this, I forget the length, something like 32 ft 8-1/2 inches or some such.

As for anti-capacitance, we already have the Henry. Unlike matter and anti-matter, if you put them together they rarely explode, just resonate.

I'll call an explosion an out of control resonance.
At least, that's what the last amp on my bench told me :)

Which testing frequency for electrolytic caps?

I test every cap that I remove and install on projects for uF and DF, and record those values on a project sheet. My humble BK Precision 878 can test caps at either 120Hz or 1kHz. The instruction manual suggests using 120Hz for 10uF and larger, and 1kHz for caps smaller than .01uf. No mention of which frequency to use for caps between .01uF and 10uF.

120Hz or 1kHz? I would prefer to chose one test frequency or the other, if that is feasible, and be consistent going forward. Would 120Hz be OK for caps down to 1uF? Or do I truly need to use both test frequencies depending on capacitance value?

I would like to know the opinions of @ConradH and @Oilmaster on this question if possible :)

Last edited:
Most electrolytics of any value are spec'd at 120 Hz unless you're testing esr, usually specified at 100 kHz. When in doubt, check the data sheet if you want your numbers to match their numbers. Older testers like my GR 1657 had a choice of 120 Hz or 1 kHz. Newer testers often have more options. On some even older testers 120 Hz was the only option!

Back
Top Bottom