The Celestion Owners Thread

Discussion in 'British Audio' started by IMF_Pioneer, Jan 10, 2018.

1. IMF_Pioneer

IMF_Pioneer New Member

Hi All,

Apart from owning many IMF products I also have quite a few Celestion SL Speakers which I'm quite fond of. Mine are all from the SL6 range but am still looking for a set of the Holy Grails which are the SL12Si, these are the larger version of the SL6 using two Mid Bass drivers.

They would have to be one of the most underated Bookshelf size speakers made.

Anyway I thought I'd kick this off and have a dedicated category for Celestion that was once such a proud British company along with KEF.

Cheers.

montrecott likes this.
  2. canuckaudiog

canuckaudiog On a quest for high fidelity

I have owned many Celestion speakers in the past. I do not currently own any but if a pair came across my way I'd probably get them!

I have owned:

-DL12 MK2
    -SL6
    -Ditton 25, 44 and 66
    -Ditton 442
    -Celestion 3

I enjoyed them all.

@IMF_Pioneer, isn't the holy grail of the Celestion SL series the SL700?

montrecott likes this.
  3. IMF_Pioneer

IMF_Pioneer New Member

Hi Canuckaudio,

I guess that ones up for debate, depending on what sound you are after. The SL12 was made in such small amounts compared to the 700 but the 700 is considered higher up the food chain. Personally I don't like the sound of the aerolam cabinets compared to the timber units, they sound far more sterile opposed to the timber which gives the sound a tad more colour IMHO. The SL12si just has a fuller sound with more Bass due to the larger cabinet and twin woofers, while the SL700se is really a near field monitor.

The following piece sort of supports what I've suggested about the SL700
    http://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/how-to-identify-a-celestion-sl-700-se

But in saying that" to each their own".

Cheers.

montrecott likes this.
  4. Harvey/ Ga

Harvey/ Ga Super Member

I have a pair of Celestion 66 mkll speakers that I love. Haven't recapped them yet. Also had a pair of Celestion 15XL's but liked the sound of my Smaller Advents a bit better, so I traded them to a friend.
    Also deep into the British camp with a pair of Wharfedale W-60E's and W-70E's.

montrecott likes this.
  5. canuckaudiog

canuckaudiog On a quest for high fidelity

True! Of course everyone may have their own holy grail.

There is also the Celestion Kingston, I sure would love to hear a pair of those.

[​IMG]

Or, how about the Celestion Ditton 88?

[​IMG]

The Celestion 7000 was also quite interesting, using a ribbon tweeter.

[​IMG]

And perhaps another holy grail, the Celestion System 6000!

[​IMG]

6. IMF_Pioneer

IMF_Pioneer New Member

Wow ! that System 6000 really looks interesting. That's an upgrade that most SL owners feel they would need to get some serious boom boom boom and the Ditton 88 looks like a IMF HPCM but using conventional round woofers while IMF used the 128/20 Bass driver. Also the similarity with the shamferred edges.

7. IMF_Pioneer

IMF_Pioneer New Member

Just out of interest does anyone happen to have a spare Copper Dome tweeter for a SL6 Celestion set ?

Cheers.

8. The G.O.A.T.

The G.O.A.T. Audio slut...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018 at 2:16 PM
    montrecott likes this.
  9. montrecott

montrecott My groove, your move Subscriber

I had a pair of Celestion model 3 which I sold to a coworker, who loves them. Nice little bookshelf speakers that I think sound better than some more expensive vintage speakers.

I still have my Celestion Ditton 33 speakers, which I'm listening to right now. A really good sounding all around speaker IMO. Love the tight bass.

rogerfederer likes this.
  10. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have or have had;
    Celestion Ditton 66 1st version
    3 pairs Ditton 44s 2nd version with veneered wood under the dust cover
    1 pair Ditton 44s 1st version in rosewood
    1 pair of Ditton 442s
    A single Ditton 10, still have
    2 pairs of Ditton 15s including 1 pair in rosewood veneer
    Ditton 22s
    Ditton 33s

I never did hear the 66s in all their glory in my space, but after I sold them, I got to hear them on a Kenwood 700M. Very impressive when playing Sade "Love is Found"!

The most surprising of these are the Ditton 15s. Excellent sounding speakers for their size when driven by a high current amp. When driven by a regular receiver, just meh...

11. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins AK Subscriber Subscriber

I would love to put a pair of 66s right beside my Kef 105s and AB them on my two Bose 1801s. That would be very interesting.