The Celestion Owners Thread

Got a pair of 662 today and can't stop listening them. Great speakers for jazz, blues and classical chamber music. However, not yet perfectly happy with symphonies. Thinking they could have better separations and transparency. Maybe need a recap? Or my MAC1700 is not powerful enough to drive them?

Any recommendation for placement? Should they be placed close to wall/corner or away? Currently I have them about 3 feet away from wall/corner.

I have 4 pairs of decent small speakers, and I'm either keeping them for my daughters to use or I'm just a hoarder. They are:
Celestion DL8
Infinity Reference Two (I refoamed these)
BayAudio Cube
Energy Connoiseur

The Celestions blow them all away. Even with a rubber surround on the woofers, the base is tight and accurate. And the tweeters reproduce the highs so much better than any of the other speakers. The crossover does a nice job on the mids, and overall, they have a much more open and engaging sound than the others. And they were not an expensive speaker.

I also have a Line 6 - Flextone III guitar amp, and the Line 6 guys had Celestion make a custom driver for their amps. It sounds great.

I also have a pair of rebuilt Kef R107s, which blow them all away ... but, of course ...
Happy listening all,

Dave

I currently own the Model 1 and SL6si
I have owned the copper tweeter SL6, Model3 and Model 5.

The SL6 is the only one I was not super happy with. The 6si is much better. I’d love to try a pair of SL700 or the Kingston’s.

Currently running the 6si as my main speakers. They are always surprising n how beautiful they can sound.

Hello . Actually I have Celestion 7000. The amplifier is a Nec A820E and sometimes a little Aurex SC M15 .With NEC bass sound is better than the Aurex . And with Aurex the ribbon really shines .
On one occasion I compared them with some B & W CM 9 that I have and I must say that the bowers win in definition, although maybe it is because the celestion are older and I have not updated their filters yet.
Anyway I still enjoy greatly the deep bass that Celestion have.

. Behind you can see one of the Celestion7000. They are near of 1,20 mtrs and are heavy.4 ohms and 86 db of sensivity.When you raise the volumen they take all their potential.They seem facts to sound hard.

Attachments

• nec AND celestion.jpg
    nec AND celestion.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 15
I just received a pair of Celestion 5's, years ago I had the 3's which were great. My main speakers I blew a woofer
when I was trying out a amp I was working on :( so I saw these On ebay for $50.00 and grab them. So far they
are sounding great but I know the caps are old and most likely need replacment. Do you guy's have any favorites
that you use.

i came across these years ago, the ditton 66 series II and they've become my stable diet. i'm still searching for the crossover schematic so if anyone can tip me in the correct direction, i'd appreciate it. you can see on the pics that it's different to previous 66 models (this ditton 66 series II is the last one made, i think) with the passive on the backside of the speaker.
and they seem to have been sold quite a bit in france and canada.

IMG_2606.JPG IMG_2607.JPG

Got a pair of 662 today and can't stop listening them. Great speakers for jazz, blues and classical chamber music. However, not yet perfectly happy with symphonies. Thinking they could have better separations and transparency. Maybe need a recap? Or my MAC1700 is not powerful enough to drive them?
The only thing I would do with the 662's is raise them off the floor a few inches.
The Mac1700 may not have enough power(40W/ch) to bring those speakers to near their potential, so yes, more power would certainly open them up.
An 80-100w/ch amp, will provide you with +3dB of output
How old are your interconnecting cables? can they use an upgrade to improve on sound quality ?

i came across these years ago, the ditton 66 series II and they've become my stable diet. i'm still searching for the crossover schematic so if anyone can tip me in the correct direction, i'd appreciate it. you can see on the pics that it's different to previous 66 models (this ditton 66 series II is the last one made, i think) with the passive on the backside of the speaker.
and they seem to have been sold quite a bit in france and canada.]

Those are great looking speakers and I have their little brothers, the Ditton 44 Series II's. They are, of course, the smaller 3-way version using an 8" woofer with a 10" rear passive radiator. I believe I picked them up in the Denton, TX area 10+ years ago before I moved back to AR. I recapped the crossovers and put new binding posts on them as the original posts were messed up a little. Originally when I got them, they had non stock woofers, a Pyle 6.5", and I had put a WTB in Barter Town for the original woofers and, amazingly enough, a few weeks later I had an original pair sent over from Europe from a fellow AK'er. I seriously thought I'd never have the stock woofers in them.

Now I'm down to refinishing the cabinets and fixing these major intricately engineered grills they use and recover them in the similar brown grill cloth they came with. It's going to take some 1/4" masonite to fix some areas of the grills to keep their shape but they look so cool, I just have to. They were great sounding speakers the last time I listened to them, maybe 7 years ago, so I am hoping to get them finished up now that we are in our new house and I have room for them in my upstairs music room. I do need to build some stands for them, though.

The first 2 pictures are stock pics and not of mine but the other two are mine showing the terminals and crossovers.

CelestionFront2.JPG

CelestionBack.PNG

100_0575.JPG

100_0579.JPG

Hi Yvan,

No one gave me any estimation yet. Its a set of Ditton 66 MKII of my friend of mine. He bought them, got them shipped to him but the transport company didn't take care of the speakers as they should have done. The speakers were well wrapped etc... but the "****ers" didn't give a shit even if they were giving instructions etc... and even if in the package of each speakers (as they were package 1 by 1) and it was written clear EXTRA FRAGILE etc... they just messed up.

Here are some pictures:

Bsu1GaP.jpg

ogGtaZf.jpg

IKkZqhT.jpg

PKuDhnw.jpg

Utv7iyq.jpg

P2mmr9l.jpg

xYSqUsw.jpg

And the original pics before he got them shipped to him speakers were in neat conditions in terms of the wood as you can see the damage.

I believe in this case, wood need to be fully restored no???

Good thing, the rest, everything about drivers all is in mint conditions and the speakers are working A1.

Whats your assessment?? What kind of work would be needed & how much $$$? I know is filing a CLAIM report to the transportation company.

Thanks a lot in advance,

I've only seen similar damage twice in the early and mid '70's, and in both cases, at the time, the cost of repair was $1500 for the cabinets, and removal and replacement of the drivers, which included a series of sine sweep tests.
You can ask an experienced cabinet maker to try and fix or patch some damage so that it will be cosmetically acceptable, but it's a band-aid solution.
As the Celestion Service technician for Canada, I decided that the cabinets had to be replaced, and shipped from the UK. Unfortunately, this is no longer possible, so you will need to get a cabinet maker to make matching cabinets, using similar material, including all the internal bracing.
You could also make other cabinets with different wood, which will have the same internal air volume.., but it will sound somewhat different.
I am sure the shipping company can get their insurance company to pay for new custom cabinets.

Hello fellow Celestion owners I to have fell under the spell of Mr Dittons speakers have/had
66 II
44 II
33 .... 3 pairs
uL6
UL8

Currently my son has been using the 44 II and has blown a tweeter. Their a fine speaker but the cost of getting a original replacement or for that matter even coils , is cost prohibitive. I’ve came across several threads suggesting a seas tweeter as a suitable drop in replacement . Unfortunately that’s where the discussion ends , if someone has done it , they never posted the result. Thought perhaps someone might hold the answer in this group. Any help/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated . Located in western Canada. Thanks in advance .

Currently my son has been using the 44 II and has blown a tweeter. Their a fine speaker but the cost of getting a original replacement or for that matter even coils , is cost prohibitive. I’ve came across several threads suggesting a seas tweeter as a suitable drop in replacement . Unfortunately that’s where the discussion ends , if someone has done it , they never posted the result. Thought perhaps someone might hold the answer in this group. Any help/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated . Located in western Canada. Thanks in advance .

i have the ditton 66 series II and by the looks of it they use the same tweeter. i had problems finding the original tweeters as they are the HF2006/T3500. hard to find. i was about to go down the new diaphragm route (ebay france) when i saw an advertisement for celestion tweeters T3500. i was always on the lookout for the HF2006 when i found out that they are both the same tweeter. so when searching use both those numbers. otherwise order replacement diaphragms from ebay as they are quite inexpensive (about $30). g'luck with bringing 'em back to life.

Back
Top Bottom